Advice on Booking Rome Cat 6 Properties

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Ednpub, Feb 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Ednpub

Ednpub Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a bit of a multi-faceted question, so I'll try to make the details as clear as I can.
    • My wife and I will be in Rome from May 25th to May 28th -- Saturday through Monday nights
    • Both of us are SPG Preferred Guest Plus members
    • We have one free weekend night as part of the recent stay one night get one free weekend night promotion
    • We have a combined points balance of around 60-70k
    • Current night redemption costs are 25k for the Cat 6 properties (St. Regis, Excelsior, and Eden)
      • Eden: Superior Room: Queen Bed (415 Euro)
      • Excelsior: Deluxe Room (330 Euro)
      • St. Regis: Superior Guest Room (350 Euro)
    • I don't see any cash & points nights available
    My questions are:
    1. Since we have low status, I want to make sure we don't end up in rooms with no views or views of air shafts. Which would be the best choice to give us the chance of avoiding this type of room?
    2. If spg.com does not list point options for any other room types, is it still possible to upgrade the room with either cash or points?
    3. Would I be better off paying for one night in a particular room type to help ensure that all my nights are in a room that we would like?
    4. We have friends that will be staying in either Travestere or Testaccio. Would that tip you towards any of these locations in particular?
    Thanks in advance.