Advice on award SFO-ORD

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by adamhoolhorst, Nov 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. adamhoolhorst

adamhoolhorst Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking for advice from everyone out there. I currently have a trip in J SFO-DFW-ORD getting us into Chicago at 6:20 for a wedding weekend. My wife is in the wedding and would like to get there earlier, but there is only C availability direct SFO-ORD, which will cost us $150. This is on the 30th, and still nothing opening up in J direct.

Should I hold out for J direct availability or appease the wife and just pay the $150 to get us there earlier in coach? Alternatively I guess I could push out these tickets to later this year and buy revenue tickets, which are about $150 each right now. I don't fly enough for status so getting the eqms is not worth a ton for me.

Thanks.

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    spending AA miles for a domestic SFO - ORD is never worth it imo. Save it for some kind of intl trip...

Or do a distance based award.

SFO - ORD - SFO - xxx - yyy - zzz etc

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I was so confused for awhile when reading your post. On AA "C" is an upgraded business class fare, so I kept thinking "Why is he asking to move from business to business :confused: ?" haha . After I re-read your post, I realized you were using "C" to mean coach. I believe you want to use F instead of J (AA domestic flights are either First or Coach, no J space unless you are on a three class transcon flight), and Y instead of C for your situation above. :)

Personally, I'd pay for the flight. I rarely see value in using miles for domestic flights (though it's certainly worth it in some situations), but I really don't see the value in using it for domestic First class service on mid-con flights. The premium you're paying for First class over Coach (especially on SFO-DFW-ORD) is completely not worth it, IMHO. I'd save the miles for a better award and just pay to fly SFO-ORD direct. You make the wife happy, you save your miles for a better endevour, and you earn more EQM/RDM for that future award. Just my 2 cents. :)

Distance-based awards have quite a few rules and requirements to satisfy. I really don't see how using one will solve the issue unless the OP has tons of AA miles that he could throw at the problem. Also, you cannot stop over in your originating city for distance awards, so working SFO-ORD-SFO into the award to start probably further complicates the issue.

edekba likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh didnt know that :) Well in that case ... SFO - ORD - OAK/SJC then onward? haha

My point was why was 25k+ AA miles for a domestic F :(

5. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you still want to travel on an award ticket, burn Avios if you have any. I believe SFO-ORD is 10K miles one-way

6. adamhoolhorst

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the response. I'm currently in transit home from my honeymoon and I wrote this rather hastily before heading out to Singapore for the day. This one way was a part of an international CX F trip to Bali. It was my free one way from the itinerary, and when I originally booked the trip almost a year ago, I had no idea my wife would want us to get into ORD earlier so I just grabbed a available seats. I wouldn't spend my AA miles on a domestic flight either :) I'm just more or less pissed that even as an AA gold it still costs me $150 to do a voluntary downgrade to the same itinerary but in economy. If I can find a direct closer in to departure there is no fee to switch. It all just seems backwards to me.

DomesticDave, thanks for all the AA clarification. I've put it in the memory banks.

7. adamhoolhorst

Status Points:
    A direct in Y that is. Sheesh, I need some rest!