Advice on a weekend in Tokaj wine region (Hungary)?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by edog22, Dec 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are interested in visiting the Tokaj wine region (in April) as a weekend trip out of Budapest - We were thinking about taking the train, then hiring a driver/guide so we can properly taste the local wines :) Any advice on guides or interesting wineries/sights in the region?

iolaire likes this.
  2. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have not been yet, but can certainly find out some more information for you. (I only have one more day in the office before the Christmas break so remind me if I don't get back to you in January). FYI, Hungary is a zero tolerance country (blood alcohol over 0 is not allowed) so you are wise to consider hiring a driver. A lot of people choose to stay overnight in the wine country as well.

If you need tips for around Budapest, I can certainly help with that also.

3. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    yes, the zero tolerance policy is an important component of our decision! Given the travel time (~3 hours?) to Tokaj we are definitely interested in staying a night, possibly two if needed. I'll make a note to bump this thread in the new year.

RE Budapest, I know you've got the Budapest thread, so I need to make my way through that before I have any good questions to ask :)

4. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wilco, now that we’re in 2013 please let me know if you have any interesting leads on Tokaj.

5. Wilzor

Wilzor Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi edog22, I live in Hungary(i'm hungarian)

I would take train from Budapest to Tokaj, it costs around 20USD you can check at the mav's site
    www dot mav-start dot hu/ english /index dot php

The train usually accurate and comfortable, no delays. (personal experience)

The travel time is almost equal ( car vs train)

With car on M3 until Miskolc then Szerencs then Tokaj. ( check mapsgoogle)
    It's true zero tolerance ( sadly) and definitely not recommend to drink and drive.
    Maybe it's easier to go with train :)

To stay:
    In Tokaj there are 2-3 Hotel's, mostly Guesthouses with really good athmospere. You can find here:
    www dot tokajiszallasok dot hu/en/
    or here:
    www dot tokaj dot hu/turizmus /szallaskereso dot html

I hope I help a bit, if there are any more questions about Tokaj or Budapest or the whole country i will happy to answer them

(im new here and i couldnt post links etc, so dot means . )

sobore likes this.
  6. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks Wilzor- since we don't want to drive, a key for us is identifying a guide that can take us around the region, setup several tastings, etc.

7. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thought about you just yesterday. I will ask around tomorrow at work! Thanks for the reminder.

8. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recommended wineries: pajzos winery in Sarospatak-can tour cellars underground. Try "esszencia" wine there (50usd per deciliter).

See Sarospatak castle while there too.

Hotel in area is hotel Bodrog
    ----
    Istvan szepsy winery
    ----
    Royal tokaji winery-taste wines from karoly ats winemaker there

Hope that helps some!

9. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the tips! I'm still struggling to find a guide/driver-- maybe I can email the local tourism board?

10. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's not terribly common here. No tips to offer on that unfortunately. Doubt you need one, but will see if I can figure anything out.

11. Wilzor

Wilzor Active Member

Status Points:
    I try to find information in hungarian travel forums about guides, i hope it will be successful.

Anyway i found a Vinotéka which offers wine tasting, and also complete weekend package at Tokaj with tasting, wine trip and accommodation. Maybe it worth an email because sadly it haven't got english language website.

www furmintvinoteka hu At the bottom of the Home page you will find email address.

Little dictionary :
    Főoldal - Home
    Bemutatkozás - Introduction
    Termékeink - Our products
    Szolgáltatásink - Our services/offers - Borkóstolók: wine tastings Bortúrák: Wine trips Borút programok: i dont know how to translate but it contains weekend package
    Partner pincészetek - Partner wineries
    Elérhetőségek - Contacts

sobore likes this.
  12. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please report back with a trip report and details if you make this happen. I'll be in BUD in September and might be interested in a similar trip.

WilCo likes this.
  13. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    will do - just got back from a trip to Australia, so I'm slowly getting back to planning for this and other spring trips

iolaire likes this.
  14. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:

I tried emailing several hotels in the region plus two tourism councils with no useful responses, so I gave up on Tokaj for this trip. I did find the following tour-type stuff:
    • tastehungary private wine trip
      • 50,000 HUF (~$225) person for all-day tour starting/ending in Budapest
      • 2, 3, and 4-day private full-day tours to all regions: 62,000 HUF per person per day (~$280)
      • also offer a day tour starting in Tokaj for 35,000 HUF pp ($160) for a day tour led by winemaker
    • Winerist “3 day tour” from Budapest for 374 UK pounds. Day 1 and 3 are primarily travel, day 2 is tasting. includes hotel, transfer, tastings.
    • http://tokajwinetours.com/ - tried an email but didn't get a response-- I could have been more persistent
    Instead of a tour we hung out at several Budapest wine bars and were able to try a fair amount of wines from all over the country. Here are some of the more memorable spots:
    • Kadarka Wine Bar - they offered both small and full-size pours. The small pours ranged from 200-450 HUF making it a nice place to try some of the unique Hungarian varietals. They serve food too so you can make it an evening.
    • DiVino Wine Bar - great location next to St.Stephen's cathedral, can get very busy after 8p- more people are drinking wine outside around the fountain than inside! In the afternoon it tends to be quieter and the bartenders were quite happy to discuss different wine styles and regions. We ordered their meat and cheese plate on our first afternoon and were overwhelmed -- it could have been shared by 3-4 people easy. The tables outside on their small deck are great for people watching too, as the gelato place next door always had a line.
    • Doblo Wine Bar - this bar feels a bit more removed from the busier streets and was not packed even on a Friday evening. Their list was smaller than the other too but still had some interesting choices, along with a homey vibe.
    • Borbíróság - nice cafe on a side street near the main Market hall, had a small but nice selection of wine and a nice patio.
    And I'd recommend against Innio Wine Bar (also near St.Stephen's cathedral) - we found the prices to be much higher than those above without a substantially better offering to make it worth it.

iolaire likes this.
  15. marysmith9990

marysmith9990 Member

Status Points:
    it's too expensive