Advice needed: LAX to AKL award in business

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by cleome, Mar 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cleome

cleome Active Member

Status Points:
    I am a newbie to award flight booking. I am looking forward to fly LAX to AKL (roundtrip) in business in April. What carriers have the lowest mileage requirement in this sector?

2. AndreaRH
    Original Member

AndreaRH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have miles from a particular airline program that you're hoping to use for this trip, or will you be transferring miles to your airline of choice from a program that American Express Membership Rewards or SPG? Knowing that info may help Milepointers advise you.

3. cleome

cleome Active Member

Status Points:
    I have about 80K SPG. 90K AA, 25K UA, 50K CO.

4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    One of the first thing you need to do is to check availability on both Star Alliance and Oneworld. There is a good chance that awards may not be available. For Oneworld, a rt in business is 125K miles. On Star Alliance it is 135K.

For AA you could reach the 125K by transferring SPG points to AA. The rate is 1:1 with a 5K bonus for each 20K you transfer. Unfortunately, the transfer from SPG to UA or CO is not nearly as good. It takes 2 SPG points to get 1 UA or CO mile (plus a 2.5K bonus for each 20K of SPG you transfer).

One possible option is to see if you can get one way award tickets. This would allow you to mix alliances - may or may not work depending on what metal you fly.

Bottom line, your best bet is to check Oneworld and see if there is availability - but at this late date it may not be possible.

There are threads that have been started about how to search for award travel. Look and study that, it will help.

Since you are new to award travel, you might find the task of finding seats very daunting. If this is the case, there are people on MP that will, for a fee, try and find seats. They tend to be very good at looking for alternate routes, etc.

Good luck.

osiriuso likes this.
  5. cleome

cleome Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your suggestion. What I am looking for is: what carriers should I look for to get the lowest mileage requirement award? AA charges 125K, UA 135K as you mentioned. Qantas 164k!. Are there any other carriers that charge less than 125K for the award LAX-AKL?

6. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Several using Alaska miles. http://www.alaskaair.com/as/mileageplan/AwardsAustralia.asp

7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    The operating airline options are

nonstop
    Air New Zealand (check also SFO-AKL, YVR-AKL, HNL-AKL)
    Qantas generally not available for travellers to NZ (reserved for those flying to Australia)

direct with transit stop
    Air New Zealand (LAX-RAR-AKL)

one stop
    Qantas via BNE/SYD/MEL
    Air Pacific via NAN
    Air Tahiti Nui via PPT
    Lan via SCL
    Singapore via SIN
    Cathay Pacific via HKG
    China Southern via CAN
    Korean via ICN

many 2-airline 1-stop options

AndreaRH likes this.
  8. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I had assumed that since you were looking for a flight in April, you would need to use your existing miles.

Agree that the Alaska program may have the lowest redemption requirements. However, you can not utilize the Alaska redemption requirements unless you have Alaska miles (i.e. Alaska and AA may be partners but you can not call Alaska and use their redemption schedule using AA miles).