Advice needed: Hong Kong/Bali

Discussion in 'Asia' started by cheryld, Jul 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, We will be flying to Hong Kong first for 3 nights and then on to Bali. We will be in Bali from 9/26 - 10/3. I have never been to Asia before. The only hotel I have booked so far is one night at the IC HK as my PC anniversary night. Would very much appreciate any and all advice on what to do and where to stay. It seems that most people recommend that we break up our stay in Bali into different areas.
    I am also hoping to use points for some hotel stays, but would not preclude staying a few nights in a property as a once-in-a-lifetime experience (not to exceed $500 a night).
    I have 112,000 HH pts, DH has 70K(we both have Gold status). I have 80K PC points between DH and myself(both Plat). We also have 160K UR points and 89K MR points. I also have 74K Marriott points and a free cat 1-4 night (I would expect that not to be usable in HK or Bali). Oh, almost forgot 92K SPG points and am Gold.
    Thank you in advance!

Sweet Willie and marcwint55 like this.
  2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    harvson3, marcwint55 and CherylD like this.
  4. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, the Bali thread was helpful. I was hoping for suggestions on how best to split our 7 days in different areas. Also best use of the points we have too. :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    For HH, try booking cash/points at the Conrad properties. I think the Conrad HK is currently 25,000/night + $129, which is a steal (base room runs around $414).

marcwint55 and CherylD like this.
  6. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Great tip!

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. DealsRock

DealsRock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Might want to take a look at the Bali Hyatt. Only 5000 pts per night, just transfer in 5000 UR after confirming availability.

CherylD, marcwint55 and desamo like this.
  8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    We spent some time at the Sheraton in Nusa Dua, seeing as we had just got over some long travel to get to Bali we were quite happy to relax in a familiar western chain hotel with the service that comes along with it. However after a few days Nusa Dua could be most any tropical destination, there really isn't any Balinese flavor.

So we left Nusa Dua and went north to Ubud, we stayed at Alam Shanti www.alamindahbali.com/alam_shanti.htm the group that runs this property runs a few others in Ubud. Alam Shanti has a spa at the entrance of the property where Mrs Sweet Willie & I had nightly late night massages for <$20.
    The breakfast that was served to our room in the mornings is terrific.

I can't highly recommend enough to get out of Nusa Dua or the other typical western resort areas of Bali, at least for part of your trip, it is too cheap not to do so & if you don't you'll be missing out on what makes Bali special.

sobore, CherylD and marcwint55 like this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We split our time last September between Seminyak and Nusa Dua with day trips to Ubud. The W in Seminyak was absolutely fantastic. I can't say enough about the service we received there, and the room was great. The location is very central and the pool is huge with great water views. We stayed at the Conrad in Nusa Dua and again the service was great and we bargained for a suite upgrade at very little additional cost. I would highly recommend both of those hotels.

sobore and CherylD like this.
  10. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I noted in the earlier thread, we went first to Pemuteran. It was very quiet. After that, Ubud was a let-down, noisy, overcrowded with tourists and taxi drivers. We did like the classes (batik and Balinese cooking) that we took in Ubud.

If you like scuba diving, or want to try it for the first time, Amed in the NE and Pemuteran in the NW are better locations than anything you'll find down south. We had a great time with Reef Seen in the latter location.

Never been to Nusa Dua or HK.

durian (300x225).jpg
    Be sure to stop at a roadside stall for some durian.

desamo and CherylD like this.
  11. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you do decide to stay at the Conrad HK, there's a very upscale shopping mall that's mostly underground within walking distance. [the shopping mall is close to the JW Marriott Hong Kong]

http://www.pacificplace.com.hk/en/

There is an HSBC bank branch on street level, if you need to convert USD into Hong Kong Dollars. [our conceirge told us quietly it was a much better exchange rate than at the hotel itself]

Also within Pacific Place [below ground] is access to Hong Kong's subway system.

CherylD and desamo like this.
  12. NEVERhome

NEVERhome Silver Member

Status Points:
    The subway system is simple to use.

At the entrance to each station are the machines.
    Press the station you wish to go to.
    It will tell you how much.
    follow the prompts as to how many pax.
    insert money.
    out pops a card and the change.

The card gives you access to station, go to the platform, train is identified by final station name.
    If you have to change trains, the map on board will blink along two routes, and you get off and go to the opposite platform and catch the next train

In Hong Kong I would agree you should seek out those once in a lifetime experiences, without fail the very best are unbelieveable and do not cringe when they ask you to pay $100extra for a harbour view and another $100 for the club floor. Believe me, it is worth it, maybe not now, but you will remember the nights you sat in your pjs on the windo sill, watching the world go by down below. The club floors are magical, no expense spared, the finest food and wine. The best place to stay is on the Island not on Kowloon.

CherylD and desamo like this.
  13. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Sweet Willie, I appreciate the details of your experience. We went to Chile in the spring and as this was our first trip to SA - we stayed first in the Sheraton in Vina Del Mar...it was a good transition as everyone spoke English and as you said it was familiar. But it was good that we had only planned two days there. I will look into the Alam Shanti.
    Thanks again!

Sweet Willie likes this.
  14. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you DealsRock for the great Hyatt tip, marcwint55, harvson3, Max M for your advice and NEVERhome for the subway and Hong Kong info...definitely helpful!

Max M likes this.
  15. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    One other tip: you might consider a trip to Hong Kong Disneyland if you're a Disney fan, and time allows.

It's a very small theme park, but it's certainly more affordable than the U.S. Disney Parks. :)

We splurged and stayed at one of the two on-property Disneyland Hong Kong hotels on our last night, but there's a Marriott close to both Disneyland Hong Kong and HKG:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/hkgap-hong-kong-skycity-marriott-hotel

The property is a MR catagory 5 hotel, but the rates there are cheaper than most centrally located Hong Kong hotels--- you might consider staying here either your first or last day, since it's so close to HKG.

CherylD likes this.
  16. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Get an Octopus Card in HK. $50 HKD refundable deposit to get the card and you can top up as much as $1000 HKD value into it to virtually use it for most public transportations (MTR, buses, minibuses, airport express, etc) without having to worry about paying cash every time you need to ride something. The card can also be utilised to pay for purchases at several business outlets such as convenience stores, fast food, etc. All MRT & Airport Express stations have rechargable machines where you can top up the values for your card. Click here for further details.

If the IC is the place you will be staying on your first night in HK, you can take Bus A21 to the hotel from the airport. Get off at the New World Centre Station. There will be electronic signs onboard the bus that will tell you which is the next station. When it tells you the next station is "New World Centre", be ready to get off. Once you get off, you will take a short walk towards a westery direction (basically turning left after getting off the bus) to an area where you will see a muti-storey parking structure. Over there, you will see an elevator along with escalators where you will go down to an underground tunnel to "cross" to the other side of Salisbury Road. You can't cross directly from the bus station to the other side of the Salisbury Road as there are curbs and underpasses in the middle of the road that will block you off so that's why you have to walk via this underground tunnel. Once you get to the other side of the road you will spot the path towards the entrance to the IC (it's there, you won't miss it). For $33 HKD, it much cheaper and more convenient than taking the airport express. With bus A21, once you get off it is only a short walk to the hotel versus the airport express that gets you only as far as Kowloon station where afterwards, you still need to connect to another form of transportation to reach the IC. There will be racks on the bus to place your luggages.

CherylD likes this.