Advice kindly sought about cancelling a CX/Asiamiles redemption

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by Scoob72, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Scoob72

Scoob72 Active Member

Status Points:
    Firstly, many thanks for reading this -- I do appreciate it.

Do any IFers have any experience of cancelling CX award tickets booked via the Asiamiles website? Specifically (if yes):

1. How long does it take it for Asiamiles to be re-credited to your account after you have cancelled an award redemption on the Cathay website?​

2. In terms of any refund due -- I originally paid HKD 2,730.00 in carrier surcharges/taxes, which I hope I would be due a refund of with any forthcoming cancellation? :confused: -- would a refund be automatically refunded to the original credit card?​

(I am a bit confused, you see, whether this is an automatic process or whether, in fact, after cancelling my ticket on the Cathay website I would also have to call a CX contact center about recouping this HKD 2,730.00 amount? As I would be needing to cancel my partner's ticket -- which is a birthday surprise booked via her Asiamiles account but which she hasn't seen the booking confirmation for -- as well as my own, then any mandatory call center contact would prove very awkward indeed, hence the hope for an automatic refund!)​

3. Does CX levy a fee for any cancellations?​

Any help at all would be ever so gratefully received!

Many thanks again for reading!

2. gbc

gbc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Firstly, you cannot cancel a AM/OW award booking online. You'll need to call them as they will need your credit card details for billing the cancellation charges.

Next, the cancellation charges for a full ticket (unused) will be US$120 or 10,000 AM per pax. If you want to know more about amendment fees, etc., you'd best speak to AM call center.

Refunds of taxes/surcharges are automatic, in full, and within a a couple of weeks - the award miles can be almost instantaneous but you need to tell them that you need the miles immediately.

Cancellation of award tickets with OW/CX/AM is a very expensive affair - make sure you know exactly how you want to use those miles before you make the reservation.

3. Scoob72

Scoob72 Active Member

Status Points:
    GBC -- thanks so much for such a comprehensive reply! It's incredibly useful information, for which I am genuinely grateful.

It's certainly a cautionary tale of sorts -- I tend to redeem on BA (either for BA or OW airlines), and their change/cancellation charges now seem like pocket change compared to CX's. Noted for the future!

Again, GBC, I'm much obliged to you.

All the best

4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I recall correctly, and nothing has changed since last I did it, if the only thing you want to do is change the date, but not the departure airport and destination airport, you can do that without the cancellation fee. As I recall, you can even change routing (but not departure or destination), and if you know you want to travel later but don't know when, you can cancel the reservation but leave the ticket open (for one year after date of purchase/redemption) until you know when you want to travel.

Whether that's still the case, I don't know, but it would pay to ask.

5. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    terrible cx