Advice for small business travel

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by loudnotes, Jun 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. loudnotes

loudnotes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all, I'm looking for advice navigating the raft of small business options provided by AA. I'm taking a new role that once I join will have 2 of us making 6-10 rt transcon flights annually. We both prefer AA and want to make it the most affordable option since we need to keep costs down. We would ideally like to put all our travel on AA. Flights would typically be in coach, and just buying ordinary discount economy fares would mean probably ~$8-10k in revenue between the two of us. So while we're small fry, I want to understand our options fully:

- AAirpass: as best I can tell, this makes the most sense for people doing a lot of last-minute or business class travel, which is not us. Because pricing is distance based it looks like this would cost ~2x what we can pay just buying lowest-fare coach, even with the advance purchase discount.

- BusinessExtrAA: sounds like we definitely need to sign up for this.

- Corporate card: 4% rebate to the company + 1% to the employee ($50/5000). Compare with 2 miles/$ (I value at 3-6%) on an AAdvantage credit card.

- Negotiated pricing: is this an option for a company as small as ours? If we could just buy discounted coach tickets in bulk for a small discount (i.e. like AAirpass, but cheaper) we'd do that.

- Anything else?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. loudnotes

loudnotes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, 102 views and no replies. I guess what I'm asking in a nutshell is just:

Is it possible for small accounts to negotiate pricing for a predictable, fixed amount of travel? If so, whom would we call?

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strange that you haven't had a reply, but maybe the thread dropped off the bottom.

Either way, I don't know if AA would actually negotiate with you based on that amount of travel, as they really don't have any incentive to do so -- the volume just isn't there, no offense meant.

It couldn't hurt to try though... worst they can do is say no. I'd start by chasing after the AAirpass people and see if they can point you in the right direction.

jbcarioca and loudnotes like this.
  4. loudnotes

loudnotes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks viguera

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just saw the thread myself.

Generally negotiated rates only work for annual expenditures of millions of dollars.
    That said,
    Business ExtrAA is a really good deal. My business has used it for years. What's not to like? It's free and you get quarterly statements. Just make sure you sign up every person who might travel including spouses, children and relatives.
    Corporate card- I must agree with you. A total of 5% cannot be easily matched, much less beaten
    AAirpass- I have had as many as five AAirpasses. They are a great deal if, and only if, you fly frequently at the last minute on full fare, especially C or F. otherwise you'll do better, particularly when you consider the Corporate Card benefits that you will not get with AAirpass.

So, on balance I must say I agree with your choices. You have thought of the options and made rational conclusions IMO.

loudnotes likes this.
  6. It'sTimeToFly

It'sTimeToFly Active Member

Status Points:
    Or you can do the 10% discount at Costo with the gift cards.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. loudnotes

loudnotes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great, thanks jbcarioca, just the perspective I was looking for. Glad I'm not missing anything.

jbcarioca likes this.