Advice for my NGO friend: Lots of bags

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by kyunbit, Mar 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,
    I am posting on behalf on my friend. He works for a NGO and is going to PNH and PVG for work from US. He would be having 20 bags with him. Can someone suggest a way to avoid the huge excess baggage fee?

He was looking for flights with codeshare on the same airline. But apparently that is not available.

Does anybody have experience regarding any similar issue?

Thanks

2. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    My suggestion: Fedex.

3. mrsmortis
    Original Member

mrsmortis Silver Member

Status Points:
    With that many bags I'd talk to the airline about sending them as cargo. Depending on the NGO he may be able to talk them into a steep discount.

gobluetwo likes this.
  4. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that any airline will comp twenty bags/boxes unless it is a registered charity with the airline.
    I suggest that he call the executive offices of the airline and try to get on with someone that deals with charities/groups. He may request for a reduced rate for the 20 pieces of baggage. They will want to know if the luggage is a) charity related supplies or b) personal items. If personal items, I don't think they will be too keen on giving free transportation, but might if they are say medical supplies for the NGO.

The airline might arrange for the local Cargo broker to set rates for sending the items. If time sensitive, then air would be the way to go, but if not time sensitive, cargo ship (takes up to 2 months for my Balikbayan boxes to get to PI from NYC) is the way to go... price is much better and not weight dependent.

Good luck to your friend.

gobluetwo and Kaanapali like this.
  5. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies. The bags are related to charity work- some medical supply, baby food etc. So they need to travel with him. His NGO is a registered charity with the US airlines. The problem is no US airline has even a codeshare flight between PNH and PVG.

6. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would contact FEDEX or another Major International Shipping Company. They probably also have Charity Rates, or discounts, or Gratis for Certain NGO's They may able to even schedule the Cargo (and 20 Bags would be Cargo) on the same plane. But probably want to use their own planes. Be sure to inform them that they are Medical Goods. But, he really needs to check on import restrictions on certain Pharmaceuticals.