Advice for First AOR

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by andhoova, Mar 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are planning a trip to Argentina in Nov/Dec and maybe a shorter trip to Europe this summer. We prefer to fly in coach to use less miles.

That said we both just unsuccessfully tried the 2 browser trick (I was approved for the Amex and she was approved for the Visa) with 50,000 miles. Anyway, I’m hoping to get some advice on my first AOR. I have asked a few people and got totally different answers so i'm just confused as to which approach is best and was hoping to get a bit of advice.
    Advice 1:
    Me:
    50k BA (for intra-Europe)
    50k Amex PRG
    55k Chase United

Wife:
    50k Amex PRG
    40k Chase Sapphire Preferred
    40k US Airways

2nd round
    Me:
    Citi Biz AA
    Chase Sapphire Preferred
    US Airways MC
    BofA Alaska

Wife:
    Chase United
    Citi AA Biz
    US Airways MC
    BofA Alaska

Advice 2:
    Chase Ink Bold (both of us)
    Chase Sapphire Preferred (both of us)
    Starwood Amex (both of us)

My current balances are as follows:
    AAdvantage - 30K + 50K more from the AMEX (I hit the minimum spend on the first day)
    US Airways - 40K
    HHonors - 700K
    Marriott - 175K
    My wife is at 0 across the board but she will be getting 50K AAdvantage once the points post (we hit the minimum in 1 day as well).
    My current cards are the AMEX HHonors Surpass. I've had the HHonors card since about 2003 and switched to the surpass card about 2 years ago. I mainly use this for purchasing Vanilla Reloads, Citi AAdvantage Amex (just got the card and already hit the minimum) and the Chase Marriott Visa Card. I got the Marriott card in December 2012 and have hit the minimum. My wife has the Capital one Venture card (this is our primary card). I had the Chase US Airways card but just canceled it. I got the card in October and canceled it in February so I can reapply in May or so.

Thank you VERY MUCH for any comments

2. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess you have a plan to meet the spend limits, I only ask this because you can not depend on reloads to meet the requirements. If you are going to fast on reloads the banks could close your accounts and take your points away. Good luck, keep us posted.

3. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    If you have a Chase branch near you, you could open a checking account. I get the $200 Chase bonus offers in the mail all the time and for once, I opened a checking account 2 months ago. I was preapproved for a CC and I picked the Chase Sapphire Preferred. (at the bank branch, the min spend was $2000 instead of the normal $3000.--40K bonus). They offered the United 50K bonus plus the freedom, etc).

I used to be on Chase's blacklist but with the preapproval, that opened the door for me to get more cards. In addition to the CSP, I got the INK Bold (biz), and the Southwest Personal & Biz cards with Chase.

Best of success in achieving your travel goals!!

4. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    JW, why were you blacklisted?

5. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, it depends what you want. If you want points in lots of programs for the long term to continue to build up and don't care how it all works out then great.

But it sounds like you're thinking much shorter term. If so, then for example the US Air merger with AA isn't going to happen that quickly so the US Air miles are NOT going to be AA miles yet. So you'd have to book one set of tickets on AA and a different set with US Air. Etc.

You appear to be accumulating United miles (the United cards and the Chase Sapphire which is a proxy for United), AA miles and US Air miles. So... why these airlines? Are you really going to use all three? Should you focus on only one or two of them?

SPG points for example convert to most airlines, so they're nice and flexible.

The PRG points thought won't transfer to any of these.