Advice for connections too close for comfort

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Ltyka1, May 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Ltyka1

Ltyka1 Member

Status Points:
    My family of three is taking a years-in-the-planning dream trip to Europe departing June 19 to celebrate my daughter's graduation. I booked business saver tickets nearly a year ago. We go DSM to ORD to IAD to LON. We have a 1 hour connection in ORD and a 50 minute connection in IAD. (The connections were not anywhere near that close when I booked the tickets.) In looking at the flights, the one out of DSM is late more than half the time, an average of 70-90 min depending on the site I read. The one out of ORD is also late almost half the time. It seems likely we will not make our overseas flight connection and it is the last one out of the night (leaving at 9:55 pm) There are no saver tickets available on any combination of flights at that time from Des Moines to London on June 19. I have checked daily for about 2 months.

We don't fly often and I don't know if I have any leverage. Is there any chance United will put us on different flights -- even if saver is not available -- so we have a better chance of making it to London the day we intend? I would welcome suggestions from those more experienced than I. Thank you!

edekba likes this.
  2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you misconnect due to delay, there's lots of options, and UA will accommodate you even if there isn't saver availability on a particular flight. ORD, EWR, and IAD have multiple flights to LHR. IAD also has a 10PM departure to DUB where you can then connect over to LHR. As long as you're flexible and expect to deal with delays, and you arm yourself with other flight options to help the agents accommodate you, you should be fine.

Ltyka1 and edekba like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    While it is true that there are lots of potential options, the OP is also looking at needing 3 last-minute business class TATL seats. That isn't always viable, though London has more options than most other cities.

I'd suggest calling in and explaining the situation to an agent, focusing on the fact that you booked longer connections initially and the schedule changes have made things much less comfortable for you. They have some flexibility in terms of opening up award inventory on UA-operated flights given a good reason. No guarantees, but a coherent, calm and rational approach to the issue may bear positive results.

Mackieman and Ltyka1 like this.
  4. Ltyka1

Ltyka1 Member

Status Points:
    Thank you both. I'll try the coherent, calm, rational phone call first, and if that doesn't work I'll hope Mackleman is correct that we'll be accommodated!

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  5. Ltyka1

Ltyka1 Member

Status Points:
    Okay, triple thanks to Wandering Aramean! After almost an hour on the phone with United, (calm, polite, and reasonable), they moved my DSM to ORD and ORD to IAD flights to earlier times with longer layovers -- with no fees! I am quite thrilled.

Mackieman, bmg42000, genemk2 and 4 others like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    Have a great trip!

Ltyka1, Mackieman, bmg42000 and 2 others like this.