Advice for booking non-award flights?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by rewardsgirl, Feb 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. rewardsgirl

rewardsgirl Member

Status Points:
    I'm about to purchase my first plane tickets since I've started playing the miles/points game, and I'd like to avoid the missed-points regret we're all too familiar with.

I'm buying plane tickets for a business trip for myself and several coworkers: round-trip domestic flight on Delta. I'll be reimbursed by my employer, so I'm putting everyone's flights on my credit card to maximize points.

The only card I have with bonus points for flights is CSP, so I'm assuming I should use that -- but is there an advantage to booking through Amex since they're partners with Delta? I have MR with my Amex Green, so does booking through Amex Travel do anything for me? If so, can I book through Amex Travel but pay with CSP? Or should I book through the Chase travel?

Also, anything else I'm missing in terms of ways to gain points when buying flights?

EDIT:
    Ok, I'm starting to answer my own questions. Amex says you can earn 1 extra MR pt/dollar when using a MR-program-enrolled card and booking through Amex travel, which means 2pts/dollar if booked with Amex Green. Is this like Chase UR online shopping (can still get the points with non-Chase card, but they won't help you if the points go missing), or do you actually need to use the Amex card to get the MR points at all?

Regardless, it seems like booking through Chase is the better option. I get an extra pt/dollar there too, and I'll use my CSP, so 3pts/dollar.

As far as I can tell, I should book the Delta tickets through Chase and use my CSP, netting 3pts/dollar on the purchase. Please let me know if I'm missing a better option. :)

harvson3 likes this.
  2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check out the UR mall through your chase.com log-in. >75% of my bookings go through Travelocity, because I earn 2 more points per dollar (on the airfare but not taxes and fees) extra through the UR shopping portal.

The prices are usually the same as those found on the airline's own website for domestic flights.

I've had good and bad experiences with Travelocity when trying to change or cancel tickets. A Travelocity ticket did get me home safely and comfortably from Rangoon, so that's a positive.

rewardsgirl likes this.
  3. rewardsgirl

rewardsgirl Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, harvson3!

I was planning to go through the Chase online mall and score the extra point, but how do you get 2 more? CSP yields 2, then a 3rd by booking through Chase online mall, and a 4th through Travelocity?

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with American Express. I really should have the PRG rather than Green; I'm stuck with the Green because of a representative's mistake and missing out on so many MR points. If I had the PRG, I'd get 4 MR points for airfare there as well (3 from PRG, +1 by booking through Amex Travel). I've already spent hours on the phone with Amex, and no one has been able to resolve this error. It's supposedly being investigated for the next 6-8 weeks. :confused:

harvson3 likes this.
  4. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Select Go to Ultimate Rewards
    (at the top) Earn Faster --> Earn Bonus Points at the Ultimate Rewards Mall
    (at left) Travel --> Flights
    Travelocity (select Shop Now)

and a new window or tab of Travelocity should open.

You earn 2 points on the CSP, plus 2 points on the fare for booking through Travelocity through the UR mall portal (less taxes and fees). All points earning by spending and through the UR mall are eligible for the 7% annual bonus if you hold the card through your next February statement, which is up to you.

There's a good description here: http://milevalue.com/free-first-class-next-month-shopping-portals/

In my experience, if you don't get a message informing you that the points posted and you've used a Chase card to make your booking, you should have no problem sending Chase a secure message online asking for credit.

rewardsgirl likes this.