Advice: Easier upgrades to PEK or PVG? Destination SZX

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by ACMM, Dec 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like I will enjoy a trip to SZX in January and am wondering if better to try to connect in PEK or PVG - any experiences on upgrades on those routes? I know PEK can be iffy but I have yet to fly to PVG ... ..or fly direct to HKG and then I think take the train to Shenzhen?

Any thoughts out there? This would be on AC from YYZ to start anyway.

2. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I'd take the HKG route. It's straightforward and fast to get to Shenzhen from Hong Kong by train.

3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the insight. Would I need any special permission to enter HKG for the train access? I will have a Chinese visa. Also any tips or information on the train? Thanks again YULtide

YULtide likes this.
  4. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a Canadian passport holder you can enter Hong Kong and stay for 90 days without a visa. So there's no special permission needed there. I've crossed from Hong Kong to the mainland by bus, though not by train.

The train to Shenzhen is the East Rail line, which connects at the border to the Shenzhen rail system. A quick glance suggests that you can get from the HKG airport to Shenzhen University in 81 minutes. I doubt that border queues are factored into that time.

The two Hong Kong train lines are like slightly fancier subway systems, which run partially underground and partially above ground. Think GO rather than VIA. There are first-class cars, which I'm told tend to be quieter and possibly a bit nicer. Either way, they are clean and efficient, and quite inexpensive, though they can be quite packed at peak times. I don't know about the Shenzhen rail system, but it appears to be owned by the MTR Corporation, and is probably similar.

The cheapest and easiest way to get around Hong Kong is with an Octopus card. e.g., if you take the Airport express train and connect to the MTR (subway) you don't pay for the MTR trip if you have paid for the Airport express with your Octopus card. Mind you, you are saving roughly CA$6.00 out of a possible total fare of about CA$15.00.

You might want to arrive in Hong Kong a day early and spend a night. Probably best to be in Kowloon, as that will be close to the train station that you will need (Hung Hom). Also, it would be best to travel into Shenzhen at an off-peak time. Avoid morning or evening rush hours. Shenzhen is reported to be a pretty rough city. I've heard reports of muggings, and local Hong Kongers consider it to be more dangerous than HK. I suggest making the crossing in daylight. Stick to public places and practice normal personal security.

You can get rail information from the MTR web site.

ACMM likes this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Incidentally, there are other alternatives to get to Shenzhen from HKG airport, such as a limo, a bus, or possibly a ferry. It's right up against the Hong Kong border, so whatever method you choose it's not far.

ACMM likes this.
  6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks much for the replies - great information!

YULtide likes this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy your trip!

ACMM likes this.
  8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope I will :) Having been to Beijing many times it will be a nice change.

9. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kind of like visiting Turin after having been to Rome many times. :p

YULtide and ACMM like this.
  10. Having been to Shenzhen several times i think its a pretty sterile place with virtually no character or soul

YULtide and ACMM like this.