Advice: Anyone know a good "free resort night" place that is not too far from LHR?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by hungarianhc, Aug 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hungarianhc
    Original Member

hungarianhc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, the title doesn't fully explain it all. With all my travel in the first half of the year, I got four free resort nights. I'll be using three of these at the St. Regis Punta Mita, but I have one left.

I need to go to London for the better part of a week for work in London in October. Was going to fly my gf out there to join me. We would stay in London until Thursday, and then on Thursday evening, go someplace else to spend a few days before heading back to SFO on Sunday (need to land on Sunday too, since work again on Monday).

Since I can't fly out until Thursday evening, it's tough to go too far east... and *A award space on the way home is important too... I looked at Portugal, but the SPG resorts there look too far away from an airport to make it worth it for only 3 nights (and really only two full days: fri / sat).

I'm leaning toward not using my free resort night, and taking the train from London to Brussles, and then on to Brugges for the weekend. I think that would be a relaxing place to spend a few days, and then we'll head back to SFO from BRU on Sunday.

Can anyone think of a way that wouldn't be too burdensome to use my SPG free resort night instead? Suggest an alternate destination for the three day weekend? Like I said, needs to be not terribly far from London and has to have *A flights out of the location. Let me know!

uggboy, rwoman and DeltaExpert like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're not against flying, there are stunning Starwood resorts on Rhodes which has a good airport with 737-like planes on A3. There might also be nonstops from one of the London airports, especially on a LCC liike easyjet. October is toward the end of their season, so it will be uncrowded but with luck, still warm enough to swim. Some of the other Greek islands also have great SPG resorts but might be a bit tougher for the flight logistics. Another idea is Sardinia, but be sure to plan to fly into the right airport for your hotel; it's a big island. The French Riviera has good air connections (Nice) but I don't recall which properties are Starwood resorts in that area.

Isn't there a SPG place in the British or Scottish countryside that's easy by train and classified as a resort--sort of a country house with a spa and perhaps a golf course?

uggboy and rwoman like this.
  3. hungarianhc
    Original Member

hungarianhc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I just checked out Rhodes... only issue with Rhodes is that while there is *A availability, I couldn't find anything that left on Sunday and still returned on Sunday.

As for Scotland, there is a place that qualifies. It is the Turnberry resort. It looks pretty, but... boring... :)

I'm leaning toward Brugges because it will be pretty simple and quite relaxing, but I'm going to continue looking at the SPG island places to see if I can make something work...

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You need to spend some time looking through the free resort nights list of hotels. From London, Morocco might be exotic and romantic if it's not too much time on a plane. There's a stunning hotel in Sevilla in SPG, but I don't know whether it's a resort. There's also a stunner near the French-Spanish border on the Atlantic side that's about to close for some restorations, but October dates might work.

5. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Turnberry Resort is very nice!

uggboy likes this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Brugges is a lovely city...small, easy to get around. :)

uggboy likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but I don't think it's the style the OP wants and it is more of a place for somewhat older people than 20-something couples.

uggboy likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    But a Luxury Collection property! Formerly a Westin!:confused:

Should be a fantastic resort hotel, but I guess so too, for the older generation who play golf and enjoy a slower pace of life!

Would not dismiss it just yet!:)

9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rhodes offers the Sheraton Resort Rhodes, a great hotel from what I saw and gathered, would like to stay there too in the future and would recommend it based on reviews // photos placed on the net!:)

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    On Rhodes, Crete, and other Greek islands, you can do much better than Sheraton.

11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    But it offers great design, location from what we gathered!;)

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe, but I would try to use a (romantic) free resort night at a LC property or something similar, maybe a St Regis or W, although some St R properties tend to cater to an older crowd too.

uggboy likes this.
  13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would check for something on Sardegna if possible- maybe quiet but still quite pretty. Alternative could be also to head near Salzburg which is a beautiful property (however very quiet)- right on the lake.

Brugges by the way is a very charming town- not a bad idea at all.

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The fancy place outside of Salzberg (Schloss Igls or something) has somewhat of the same atmosphere that the OP objects to at Turnberry in Scotland. It's a great and luxurious hotel, but quiet and more oriented to a somewhat older clientele.

Brugges as a town is great, but I'm not aware of any great romantic hotels with a young vibe there. In fact, I associate it with either somewhat older tourists or families with older schoolchildren, those old enough to have studied and appreciate history.

For a great small historic town, I would pick Bath or Cambridge (smaller and more walkable than Oxford IMO) before crossing the channel to Brugges. The students keep Cambridge young and lively, Bath less so but still stunning. Both places have luxurious and romantic small hotels, although AFAIK not SPG.

15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finally remembered the name of the Schloss Fuschl:
    http://www.schlossfuschlsalzburg.com/en

Perhaps we visited at different times, however my most recent visit was in June- and the clientele was quite young and active overall. A lot of activites to do around the lake etc: didn't see a particularly older crowd- also just down the street (4 kms) from Red Bull world headquarters so they get a lot of execs/visitors/guests/sponsors from this team (typically younger people).

The nice part about the Schloss is that if you want to head into Salzburg it is only a 30-40 minute drive which is nice for a visit (do go visit the house of Mozart...joking!). SZG as an airport makes for quite easy connections in and out.

Turnberry (I have also been) is a super stuffy- I agree on a pass from there.

16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was at Schloss Fuschl in the summer, but during the Salzberg music festival, which might not have been their normal crowd. I remember the lobby seeming to be a zoo, with different groups getting together to go into the city for performances. It was difficult to even reach the front desk.

TRAVELSIG likes this.