Adventure Travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by noel, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently made the goal of completing the GR20. It is a 15 day, 110 mile hike across the Island of Corsica in summer 2012 (so far away, but this summer is booked!).

Last May, I hiked a few days on the South Island of New Zealand around Queenstown, but I was fairly unprepared. I'm looking to be ready this time around. I've already started some casual training to get back in shape and I'm starting to look for some shorter and more local (US) trips to help prepare(so far I'm thinking Zion National Park because it's so close to Vegas and Vegas is so easy to fly to).

So, I'm wondering what other adventure travel you guys have gone on and what items were indispensable on your journey. What you did to prepare. And where I should go to work my way up to a 15 day journey.

Also, I need a new backpack. Ideas?

kiwi, Sarah, Chamonix and 1 other person like this.
  2. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    very cool, good luck to you!

3. giggs
    Original Member

giggs Silver Member

Status Points:
    A broken in pair of hiking shoes, moleskin and a good walking stick.

4. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    The first rule I follow is go ultralight as much as possible. Do not carry everything you might need, only carry that which does double duty, and that you absolutely must have to survive. Google ultralight backpacking for info on gear, especially backpacks.

As for training, try to walk/hike/do stairs every day. Gear up with a loaded pack for these hikes once you are physically able. I walk on a treadmill for an hour every day as a baseline, add stairs and pack when closer to a big trip. Every weekend get out there with pack and hike wherever you are. The treadmill every day will do wonders for your stamina even without a pack. I do a high incline, but alternate days with that.

Today I did two hours hiking in the forest with a pack, pretty much what I do every weekend, as I have no imminent "big trip" in the next month. If I had an adventure trip about two weeks out I would plan a fully geared up and loaded shakedown hike.

General advice: lose all the weight you can, both on your body and in your gear! Hike as much as you are able every day, even if it's just to walk the dog every morning or hit the hotel treadmill.

savydog, loadera and noel like this.
  5. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stadiums are great for running/walking stairs fully geared-up and loaded if you live in the city and can't get out to the woods. Practice packing and weigh your loaded pack. Then edit it down, little by little. You will enjoy your hike so much more if you don't have to carry a ton.

I cannot stress this enough! Lose the weight--both on your body and in your pack--and start walking every day. Sorry I know I'm repeating myself! Corsica sounds like an awesome trip! Goals are good.

noel likes this.
  6. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips! These sound like they are exactly what I need. Now to find me a new pack..

Chamonix likes this.
  7. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why don't you set a goal for doing a shakedown hike this spring or summer? Doesn't matter if you have all your gear yet, just use whatever you have, and go out somewhere close for an overnight. Don't know where you live, but give yourself a couple months of treadmill/stairs and then go do an overnight with your pack. Repeat every two months until you start feeling comfortable and confident.

Congrats on setting your goal, that's an awesome first step. You can do it.

(btw, I'm in the market for a newer, lighter pack. Post here if you find one you love!)

noel likes this.
  8. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you should go into a good sporting goods store and try some out. It's really hard to tell how a pack will feel online. Personal preferences vary, and people vary (pack recommendations from me (6'5", 220) may or may not be of little use for you). I'd see what's available at stores, ask for advice from sales associates, and then after finding some good bags buy online if you want. Make sure whatever you buy is comfortable and of good quality.

Have fun on your trip(s). Very jealous.

noel likes this.
  9. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    This sounds like a great plan. I live in Missouri, so there are plenty of places to run out with my pack for a night or weekend. Every two months sounds doable too, and that should give me plenty of time to get comfortable with everything.

I'll let you know what I find in the way of ultralight packs!

10. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    That sounds like some great advice. I know of a few good local sporting goods stores that can probably help me out. Now I just need to do some research and get in to some stores.

11. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you live near STL, go to the Alpine Shop. They are great for fitting packs! That's where I bought the one I'm using now. If you get tired of places in MO for your hikes come over here neighbor, to southern Illinois and the Shawnee National Forest, we have lots of great trails.There's even a 10 day hike that is perfect for a longer shakedown hike (but you can also break it into shorter weekend trips). If you're coming this way, send me a message and I can give you specifics. (and possibly a car shuttle or two)

12. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I live on the other side, Kansas City. But I am very familiar with the Alpine Shop in Columbia (i went to school at mizzou). That's exactly the place I was thinking of as I will be headed to St. Louis this weekend and always loved their store in columbia.

Shawnee National Park looks a little far for me, but after a quick google image search, I might need to figure out a way to make it happen. Thanks for all the help and it's good to know there are some midwesterners around.

Chamonix likes this.
  13. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    What size are you looking for?