Admonished for using Lav in F??

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by mileflyer, Mar 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mileflyer

mileflyer Active Member

Status Points:
    On US716 (SFO-PHL) right now, and had to use the lav- sitting at bulkhead, and the ones in back were queued up. So, I used the on in F ---only to have the flight attendant make an announcement while I'm in there, and admonish me when I got out.

I "understand" security, and respect that I didn't clear the upgrade (on that segment today), but is that a bit much? Or did I really do something "wrong"?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes.

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I personally don't mind the occasional person coming up to F. It is a long walk back to the rear lav. But the FA still has the right to enforce the rule. If it bothers you, don't sit in the bulkhead row.

daemon14 and 8MiHi like this.
  4. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, they do make a clear announcement at the beginning of each flight that "passengers are required to use the lav in their ticketed class of service." While I do think it's a bit silly to say it's a "security" reason for why they do that (if someone from row 10 wants to make their way to the front of the plane for nefarious reasons, they're just as able to do it as someone in row 3, IMO) they say it nonetheless.

The bigger issue to me, and not to sound too DYKWIA, but part of the nice part of flying F is that you do have that "exclusive" cabin available to you. It's always a bit surprising to me when someone from coach shoves aside the curtain in the aisle that blocks F from coach, and rolls up through F and into the lav without a second thought. I mean, on a 319 or 320, the F lav is closer distance-wise for half the people on the plane than the back lav...but if I'm in F, I don't want a constant stream of people from the back to be walking past into that lav.

I respect this when I don't clear the upgrade, even when I'm sitting towards the front of Y--I don't want to walk through F to the lav in that situation, because I know the shoe will be on the other foot on another flight and I'll be the one in F, and I know what I like in that situation.

Just my two cents!

flyforawg, daninstl, YULtide and 7 others like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The A321 has a cabin length of 34 meters. I wouldn't call that a "long walk". Probably even good to do a couple times on a transcon to avoid DVT.

The occasional person tends to inspire another occasional person who observed the behavior. And soon you have lines at both ends of the plane.

YULtide likes this.
  6. mileflyer

mileflyer Active Member

Status Points:
    All things being equal, I agree that it should be reserved for F. However I was in row 5 on an A321, and there were 3-4ppl lined up mid- and rear-cabin. Instead of congregating in the aisle, and no it couldn't wait, I chose F..

Guess I'm just miffed at the way the FA approached it; but I made that choice, and I guess that's my punishment.

(Edited to correct my iPhone's autocorrect)

7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed which is why (I'm guessing) the FA took the approach of:
    the FA wanted to make sure everyone understood and you were made the example of.

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't worry... AA has no such policy.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

garyst16 likes this.
  9. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    This begs the question, which policy will prevail after the merger? :D

10. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I assume you know the rules. Use the LAV in your class of service. Just because you did not "clear the upgrade (on that segment today)", it does not give you the right to break the rules. Your words seem to take a position of DYKWIA.

Just my opinion.

11. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish planes had more toilets. But, given that they don't, may I suggest you ask the FA for a cup to pee in? :D

sobore and LETTERBOY like this.
  12. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Easy for a male to say! :eek:

wombat18 likes this.
  13. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or a plastic bag for... well, you know. :D

14. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Off topic, and "grammar-police-ish", but "begs the question" does not mean "suggests" or "raises the question". It's a term of art for the legal (and logical) fallacy of assuming the point being argued to be true instead of establishing its truth.

http://begthequestion.info/

Sorry, it's a particular pet peeve of mine . . .

15. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    :eek: oh wow, did not know that! Thanks for the correction :oops:

16. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 The seat in the lav is the one I would like to be upgraded to. :p

17. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying bulkhead on a US 757 during beverage service I had a pilot flying a few rows back (dead-heading I assume) tell me to just go use the one in F.

18. mileflyer

mileflyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Ouch. Okay, so after re-reading my comment about clearing the upgrade, I realize that I probably deserved that.. It wasn't my intention, and that's really not who I am. I just had to pee, is all.

19. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well if you truly want to police the grammar on the board, shouldn't your punctuation belong inside the quotation marks? Just saying... ;)

20. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there are exceptions sometimes though, if the cart is in the aisle and that's the only way to go, I think it's acceptable to use the first class lav if it's available if you can't physically access the rear lavatories.

I also think it's OK for folks requiring extra assistance (elderly, etc) to be able to use the first class lavatory as well if necessary.

However all other times, I'd expect Y pax to use Y lav, and that's what I do.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I agree with that.

LETTERBOY and mht_flyer like this.
  22. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Basically I feel that you shouldn't use the F lav unless in that class of service. I've been in both situations is why I feel this way. I think what we sometimes forget that not everyone in F got an upgrade. Many of those folks paid extra (maybe A LOT extra) to sit in a nicer cabin area. It is really distracting to have people coming through the cabin area. Plus for security reasons you can't line up in the front. It's also an extra perk for being in F is that you don't have such a long line or people coming through waking you up, etc. to use the Lav. Just my humble opinion.

KenInEscazu and LETTERBOY like this.
  23. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depending on the plane, sometimes I'd rather use Y lavatory than hit my head in the one in F and I'm not even that tall.:oops:

24. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, along with the suggestion to alert the FA that's what you're needing to do!

25. daboogah

daboogah Silver Member

Status Points: