Admirals Clubs Readying for US Fliers in September

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Mike Reed, Aug 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stopped through an Admiral's club recently and haven't had time to post since... they're being readied to accept USAir fliers as of the date of the merger being official, regardless of alliance/program changes. In spots with no US clubs, the AC's will be ready for more volume. I'm assuming the same is happening on the US side of the fence. No official announcements yet... but would be a great way to cross-pollenate folks, especially in Tier 2 and Tier 3 airports with small clubs from each airline.

zpaul, LETTERBOY, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder how this will affect the AMEX Platinum lounge benefits. US allows access without a same day flight on US, well AA requires a same day AA flight.

(Plus those US lounge visits sitting in my account from the US cc's.)

zpaul, LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  3. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That will be awesome!!! I have been an AC member and am now a US Club member. Hoping the combined clubs look much more like ACs and not not so much like US Clubs.:)

Max M, zpaul and jbcarioca like this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would you join a club versus getting the Amex platinum card? Lower cost (net of credits), and gets you more clubs!

zpaul likes this.
  5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

You can pay for the AC with miles and BusinessExtraa points.

free101girl, Gtitan and brodyf like this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I know. I can think of few worse redemptions for AA miles. Haven't done the math on BusExtraa redemption for club membership (but doubt it is compelling)...do you think either is a logical redemption?

With Amex Plat, you get AA/DL/us/as for $250 net a year (ignoring GE credit).

John777 likes this.
  7. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully the let the US clubs know about the Citi World Elite card. (That is the membership card for those of us that have it).

And no, I am not looking for commentary on if this is a good/bad deal.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

I'm a Plat holder for those reasons... I'm supposing that as long as they keep Delta and the $200 credit I'll still get quite a bit out of it, plus I do use the concierge occasionally.

9. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:

Don't forget Priority Plus Select, which covers AS Board Rooms and a number of international and domestic lounges.

Club membership allows you in without a same-day ticket; comes very handy when you're flying a different airline. UA even issues gate passes to club members so you can join friends/family/colleagues in the club even when not flying at all. You don't need to have good credit to buy club membership. Membership is cheaper than Amex Plat: the $200 credit is not trivial to claim, especially if you fly one airline (almost) exclusively and are an elite.

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm only going to disagree with this one statement:

Absolutely trivial to claim. Small-value gift cards. BTDTGTGC.

11. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:

For members of MP/FT and/or readers of Boarding Area blogs, perhaps. For members of the general public, not so much.

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  12. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't wait. Huge win for US flyers out of EWR, where the AC is in the same terminal. I have my fingers crossed that the deal gets done before labor day weekend, so i can enjoy the AC on my flight out.

Gtitan likes this.
  13. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Count me in the minority of folks around here that find value in club membership. I like not having to worry about what airline I'm flying, just walking into a club that's convenient because I'm a member. Don't get me wrong, I think AMEX Plat has plenty of value for certain travel patterns, just not mine.

Tenmoc, Gtitan and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not so fast! I don't think that anyone is merging anytime soon.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or ever, hopefully! :D

ChrisUNC, rwoman and avflyer like this.
  16. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, so much for access to the AA ACs for me as USAirways Club member.:rolleyes:

17. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never been in an AC lounge. How does it stack up against US?

Over the past year, I've become increasingly disappointed with US. The primary club in CLT is almost always filthy - trash and crumbs on the floor, dirty plates and glasses on the tables. Don't get me started on how unclean the snack area frequently is or the dirty rags the staff uses to wipe things down. Restocking of the snacks is inconsistent. They've switched out the premium Milano cookies for a generic version of Biscoff that aren't as good as the real thing. They've switched from pre-packaged single-servce cheese to a dirty bowl of bulk cheese cubes that most certainly have been coughed on. No complimentary house liquor. The one or two staff working on the floor appear to REALLY hate their jobs.

On a positive note - it's a convenient place to make changes to existing reservations, it's definitely more comfortable than the overcrowded boarding areas, and the soup's not half bad.

18. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have complimentary house liquor.

19. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    AC offers mostly edible food for purchase (soup, salad, sandwiches, even supermarket sushi at some locations). Free food is therefore very limited; not even free cookies or cheese, let alone decent breakfast a la United Club. They do, however, allow outside food to be brought in, which is a great benefit since you are no longer forced to choose between good food and peace and quiet.

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:

I'm now forced to wonder who the dear kind soul is that keeps sneaking into all the ACs I frequent and laying out free trays of cookies if it's not AA doing it....? :eek:;)

Aktchi, flyforawg and legalalien like this.
  21. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:

Ok, I forgot about cookies in the afternoon. And if you want to be pedantic, there are tiny muffins in the morning and snack mix in dispensers. Drip coffee and lipton tea (plus some selection of good tea at the bar). But that's about it, isn't it? ;)

22. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if US goes ahead and swaps from *A to OW I totally still see this happening.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  23. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure why US would move to ONEWORLD if the merger is nixed. STAR is a much broader alliance with more partnerships and lower priced awards (BA and IB surcharges price half OW out of contention).

LETTERBOY likes this.
  24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:

Throw in those new yogurt covered pretzels and I can't really tell the difference between the AC and a Michelin star restaurant!

Aktchi and legalalien like this.
  25. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:

These are some of the reasons why travelers may prefer *A over OW. They may have little impact on which alliance suits US best.

LETTERBOY and DestinationDavid like this.