Admirals club.

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Ed74, Mar 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed74

Ed74 Active Member

Status Points:
    Please tell me about the Admirals club. I now have a membership but I've never visited one. I make most of my connections through DFW. Usually D terminal. I've read the website but I'd like to hear from those who know.

Thanks.

alohastephen likes this.
  2. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Free drinks (well booze). Free snack mix in dog food dispensers. Occasionally other food (mini-muffins in the morning) - seems to vary by location. Showers at some clubs. Computers and printers, wireless access for your laptop. Cushy chairs. Nicer bathrooms than outside. Best feature is help when IRROPS hit - they can fix you up in ways that the agent outside dealing with 200 passengers just can't do.

Stop in and poke around.

CharlesG, iolaire and alohastephen like this.
  3. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Free beer on tap in Tokyo... sushi too. ;)

image-3618656009.jpg

Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a general rule, foreign lounges are nicer. Lounges in hubs can be large, bustling, and a bit impersonal. Lounges at smaller stations can either be very attractive, like the one in the new terminal at RDU, or small and rather depressing. YMMV but it's much better than the terminal, especially in IROPs.

CharlesG likes this.
  5. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The one in SJU id quite nice. Two levels and nice large windows to look out and watch planes taking off and landing at what (surprising to me anyway) is a pretty busy little airport.

Juanefny and CharlesG like this.
  6. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a checking desk - many times you have to go up the elevator/stairs first. The AAngels at the desk can help make sure you are on the upgrade list, print boarding passes, etc. Very helpful.

CharlesG likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Some great thoughts in this thread already, particularly gemac's tidbit that the best perk of your membership is access to the AAngels in times of IRROPS. They can be a life saver!

Remember that the free liquor offerings can change from club to club, so don't be surprised if you order something in one AC that is unavailable in another. The ability to shower is great when coming in from long international flights or even a long day of work/touring. Since you're through DFW, keep in mind that the AC in the Terminal A has some amazing showers.

My favorite Admiral's Club is in NRT, my least favorite so far has been in MCI. Most disappointing? LHR. The AC in ORD at the Eagle G gates has a lovely desk attendant who is one of the most pleasant people I've had the pleasure of interacting with at AA. I've heard bad things about the staff in MIA but in my 4 years as an AA elite I've never flown through MIA (shocking, no?). I'll get to change that in August and experience the SJU club, too. I have great experiences in the LAX and JFK clubs, but that's a bit skewed since I spent most of the time in the Flagship Lounge instead of the normal AC. From what I remember they were pleasant, though apparently the LAX club is suffering from a bit of a fruit fly infestation. Not sure if that cleared up.

Hopefully you find the membership worthwhile, I know I've enjoyed mine.

alohastephen, CharlesG and iolaire like this.
  8. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isnt NRT lounge is JAL? cuz on my stop I went to a JAL lounge, good shower amenity, got lucky the 15 min massage was still open cuz in my previous trip it was close, nothing to worry about liquor, open bar , good dinner food but the same in 2 diff trip but when it js free cant be a chooser.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    NRT most certainly has an AC.

If you were in the JL lounge, you were accessing based on OW status or class of service traveled, not on having an AC membership. As an AC member, travelers do not have access to AA partner lounges unless they are co-branded.

The AA AC in NRT is one of the few AA offerings that doesn't get utterly overshadowed in comparison to other OW carrier lounges to be honest. It's a nice little location and offering. I'd still prefer the JL lounge overall, but the AC in NRT is a solid offering.

As for the JL lounge itself, I enjoy it quite a bit. Though I'd quibble that most lounges tend to have consistent food offerings day in and day out. JL has the beef curry, AA has the party mix and mini muffins, BA has curry, CX has dim sum, etc...

CharlesG likes this.
  10. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    D is my favorite Admiral's Club at DFW. Typically friendly staff especially if Wayne is on duty.

CharlesG likes this.
  11. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in the NRT Admiral's Club in January, and it was extremely nice. So relaxing, well appointed, good food/drink, everything you might want in a lounge.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  12. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The shared club (was with QF, now JL) in Honolulu will never win, particularly now, any facilities prize (and the QF lounge was way, way off the beaten path to AA gates). But despite those demerits, the AAngel staffers in HNL are truly wonderful.

13. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you got the 15-minute massage, it sounds like you went to the JAL First Class Lounge, which is only available to OW emeralds (AA EXP). One can't get in there with just AC membership.

There are a few other JL Sakura lounges (business class), too. The NRT AC though is pretty nice and usually not as full as some of the other ACs here in the US.

14. Ed74

Ed74 Active Member

Status Points:
    Appreciate everybody's responses. Looking forward to my next long layover. :)

15. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are two clubs at MIA, one at gate D15 and another, larger club at D30. I've never had friendly service at D15 but they are really good at D30; if you get a rather rushed welcome in the main entrance (it gets really busy at times) just go upstairs and they'll take good care of you.

I agree with everything written here and would like to add that it pays to get to know what partner lounges are accessible (Alaska Airlines Board Rooms in ANC, PDX and SEA) and the rules to get in. While you don't have to carry your card for access to AA clubs, you DO have to show the physical card to get into some partner lounges.

16. voh2ox2

voh2ox2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do we get free admission to the Admirals Club with US Airways first class tickets to/from St Martin?

17. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both MIA clubs can get crowded, but I've had great help from the attendants. A few years ago I arrived from JFK to find my MIA/EZE flight cancelled due to a volcano acting rudely. Within minutes they found me a hotel room, booked me next day MIA/SCL, connecting to a LAN SCL/EZE flight. By that time, EZE had re-opened. And on a recent MIA/UIO junket, they re-booked me onto an earlier flight, when phone reservations had told me it was fully sold out. Maybe it was, and there was a last-minute cancellation. Who knows? But the point is that the staff has always been super-helpful.

18. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lazarus has risen.

After 2 years I think it is ok to start a new thread. ;)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

daninstl likes this.