Admirals Club Amex Platinum Access on Codeshare?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Menashe, Aug 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

According to the Amex Platinum T&Cs for club access, "Complimentary access is specifically for the airport club that corresponds to the airline operating the flight (access pertains to the aircraft, not the flight number) except for US Airways Clubs, or with respect to American Airlines marketed code share flights with an American Airlines flight number which are also eligible for complimentary access to the lounge."

I will be flying Air Berlin 7451 to Dusseldorf out of JFK Terminal 8, which is codeshared as AA 8068. I bought the ticket as an Air Berlin flight number (I didn't buy as an AA flight). Don't codeshares usually show up with the operating airline's flight number on the boarding pass and not the marketing airline's number?

My question is whether I will have access to the JFK Admirals Club since the flight is an "American Airlines marketed code share flight." Is there any way for them to know whether you are flying on a ticket purchased as a codeshare with AA? Does anyone have any experience with this scenario?

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I understand you correctly you bought the ticket from AB and technically and accurately its a AB flight (even though AA might codeshare with that particular AB flight)
    If your boarding card does not list a AA flight number you will not have AC access.

Wandering Aramean and skyvan like this.
  3. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that's correct. Thanks!

skyvan likes this.
  4. dc_traveler
    Original Member

dc_traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    It might be worth trying anyway -- I have found the JFK Admirals Club personnel to be very nice, especially in the lounge in Concourse C (near gate 42). Of course, that is probably the one that is farther from your gate...

5. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I figure I'd give it a shot in any case, but was wondering whether or not they could even tell. I usually know which airline I'm planning to fly and whose points/miles I want, so almost never find myself on a code share. I kind of assumed that you could check in with the operating airline even if you did buy the code share, and there would be no obvious way for them to enforce.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suppose you could try.. anything is possible. However they AC staff will be checking your boarding pass and if they go to the trouble of checking the flight they will see quite clearly you do not have a AA ticket.

You cant have it both ways... I expect you bought the AB codeshare for other reasons ( cheaper??) so technically you cannot enter the club based on "being on a AA flight"

7. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree, I'm not trying to have it both ways, was just wondering whether (a) access for codeshare flights was part of the agreement (wasn't sure whether it was relevant where you booked) and (b) whether it is something they enforce.

FWIW, I booked AB because AA doesn't fly to this particular location, presumably why they market the flight as a codeshare.