Admirals Club Access Rules for US Domestic* Itineraries Updated for Oneworld Elites

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Jul 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As noted on FT and TravelingBetter, it appears that the access rules for accessing the Admirals Club for oneworld Sapphire and Emerald members while on solely domestic itineraries as been updated to state:

American Airlines AAdvantage® members and oneworld top tier status holders, regardless of their tier status, cannot access lounges when travelling solely on North American itineraries within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

If this sticks it will tighten access to AA's lounges for oneworld elites who aren't taking an international flight.

jbcarioca and zphelj like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just waiting for UA to "match"... (not that it matters to me as I don't have any foreign *G status)

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't this what US Airways is doing already though? I remember being told that I wouldn't have access to the PHX lounge even though I was flying F because I was on a domestic itinerary.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to take this thread off-topic, but do you have *G status with a carrier other than UA or US? The rule for *A (or rather UA/US clubs) is that UA/US *G members don't get access to UA/US clubs on purely domestic travel. When I had BMI *G, I could access the UA RCC when flying, say, SFO-LAX. OK, so I did take it off topic. Sorry.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I understand where you're going, but that was kind of my point too... I would have been granted access solely on my status with another alliance member or having a specific credit card, but not based on the fact that I was flying F on their own metal. That seems kind of asinine to me to an extent, but I guess US is not the only carrier now.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. There's many ways this can be interpreted. I'm a QF OW Elite (Emerald) and frequently use my status to gain access to Flagship Lounges (the few they have left) and the A/C's.

Technically, i'm on an international itinerary as I do not live in the USA. I always fly in, fly around the USA, and fly out. Due to the simple fact it's of a magnitude less to book separate segments for the US flights, I very very rarely put things on the one PNR. Typically, I book AU-LAX return, then my individual flights.

Now, as I have proof i'm on an international itinerary, just not the single PNR, I should be entitled. I wonder how far they'll go on this (once AA confirm it).

On the other hand, it then gives me very little incentive to keep my QF Status, as the majority of that status is actually earned by flying AA (so they're getting the revenue) and QF pays AA for the lounge access (something i'm guessing is stopping, I can only assume AA jacked up the price to other airlines for elites accessing the lounges, and the other airlines did not like this). It also makes lounge access rules so much more complex. So much for alliances 'simplifying' your travel.

I guess I could just start looking to move my FF program to AA, but earning points outside of flying with AA in Australia is pretty much impossible (Short of Amex->SPG->AA, which is not a great rate; there's no direct earn cards for AA here, and I mentioned this to the Citi girls in DFW on the OWMD and they said 'you're not the first to request it!' but I doubt it'll happen due to QF having a strangle hold on CC's and points earning with partners in AU).

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's not unique to US or AA. I'm fairly certain UA and DL also do not allow F domestic flights into their lounges with limited exceptions for some transcons.

8. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's not the standard that will be applied, you'd have to be on an actual ticket that has segments that qualify-- and even then, connecting to/from such segments. Not: "I'm not from here so it's all international to me."

jbcarioca, zphelj, MX and 2 others like this.
  9. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Possibly. I know of people here that use it to their advantage by proving they are on an international itinerary. Due to routing and the way airline consolidators work in Australia, it's very difficult to get more than an 'add on' flight to your ex-Australia fare. I've done MEL-SYD-LAX-BOS before on the one PNR, but the LAX-BOS was still actually issues on 001- stock, technically making it two tickets, with one PNR.

I know it's being pedantic, but sometimes it pays to be so when it comes to rules and ensuring you are getting what you're entitled to. It's even more difficult for us if i'm not flying QF to the USA (which I usually don't, it's usually VA).

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I cant imagine when other OW start implementing their own local restriction, JL no lounge access from NRT to other cities within Japan,.QF within Australia.

whkento, jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  11. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow so much for the BA Gold loophole of First Class lounge.

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The OW website has been updated and then had policy revert back on other issues before. Maybe AA will clarify if this change was intended.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    For DL, this is the case. The exceptions are the JFK-LAX/SFO flights, which are marketed as BusinessElite flights.

Something else that comes to mind in reading this is the fact that eligible OW elites traveling in Y on same day international itineraries can only access lounges on same day travel, even if it is an international itinerary where domestic travel occurs on days other than the international portion. I know it is the same for ST elites.

14. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's not really a "loophole" though. Yeah, most people got BMI Diamond matched to BA Gold, but for someone who earns it butt-in-seat, earning BA Gold comes at the opportunity cost of earning AA EXP where you'd get other benefits for flying AA domestically.

I hope *A doesn't follow suit. The lounge policy is a major reason why I decided to go with A3*G over UA 2P.

15. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Bummer if accurate, I've been enjoying AA Flagship Lounge access when flying domestically based on my BA Gold received via bmi Gold.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just clicked your link and do not find this information stated anywhere.

I could just be missing it, but i only see it here on MP and not on the OW page you link to.

17. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this is indeed correct it is a very big change- or ahem "enhancement" as we say in this industry. Thumbs Down.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I still see it.

19. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the OneWorld site, you have to "expand" the little sections for each type of access and then you will see it quite clearly.

jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  20. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Jon. Not surprised it was user error on my part.

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    OneWorld site has always been hard to navigate, IME-- understandable.

I've -not- been able to confirm this change. One the one hand, the change in verbiage seems obviously deliberate, and unambiguous-- it's a recent change and it's "more of an addition than an omission" if ya know what I mean.

OTOH, as pointed out on FT, the AA page has not been so-altered and as Gleff points out on TB, it's almost impossible to believe they would make such a change without some kind of notification process and/or lead-time, etc.

It's a bit confusing at present.

jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  22. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA has confirmed on Twitter that the OW policy has NOT changed and they are working with OW to have the error corrected on the website.

;lajsdf;lak.JPG

23. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Case closed.. phew..

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. AmericanAirlines

AmericanAirlines Official Representative

Status Points:
    Just to confirm once more, this is accurate.

whkento, kiwi, John777 and 4 others like this.
  25. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    While there's nothing changing that I can tell for us US based folks I'm glad to see it's a mistake.

Change is inevitable (so is frequent traveler program benefit erosion apparently) however it's nice to see AA didn't just drop this out of the blue. I'd not be shocked to see it come back some day though, with plenty of advance notice of course ;)

LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.