Admirals Club access at SCL???

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by John Woram, Nov 16, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm arriving SCL from PUQ at about 2:20 pm on LAN, continuing SCL/MIA at 9:40 pm on AA. According to the AA website, the club is open all day, but there's no clue as to how to get to it six or so hours pre-flight. If SCL is anything like EZE, the AA check-in counter doesn't open until a few hours pre-flight. So, how does one dump luggage, pass through security and all that in the mid-afternoon--then proceed to the club to chill out? If the club is really open all day, and the first AA departure is not until mid evening, there must be a way to get to it. JFWIW, I'm flying first, am an AC lifetime member, have TSA pre-check. I don't think that counts for anything though, as there's no Flagship lounge ala JFK and a few others.
    Any clues?
    Thanks (I hope:)), John

zpaul likes this.
  2. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know this for sure, but I don't think LAN in PUQ will be able to check you in for your SCL-MIA flight, or check bags through for you. I may be wrong, of course, as LAN has often checked me through to a destination on a separate reservation with AA. If they can do that and issue your BP, you're in luck. Otherwise...

AA check-in opens 4 hours before the first flight of the night. You will have no access to international air-side until you check in, unfortunately.

The AC is open all day as it is now listed on Priority Pass, and serves all oneworld airline departures during the day (IB, QF, LA, TAM). It also hosted AC flights, and still may - I don't think any Star Alliance carriers had a lounge until AV opened theirs, and that's really, really small, no way to fit all lounge eligible AC pax, and I don't think UA has opened a Club yet (one of AC's flights departs 12:35). Granted, when I've been on daytime LA flights and I've gone in, it's pretty dead, but then that's really, really nice. I'm sure there's some reciprocal funding going on, as I can't see AA keeping it open so many hours when AA flights aren't departing.

3. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, thanks for the great feedback -- I figured you would have "all the answers" since I think you hang out mostly in Santiago, verdad? I purchased both tickets -- AA JFK/MIA/SCL and LAN SCL/PUQ -- through American Airlines. For reasons best known to themselves (one hopes ;)) they issued separate tickets, though both have the same AA Record Locator ID. So, I'll try whining and snivelling when I check in at PUQ. If I'm lucky, they'll check the bag through to MIA. Otherwise, it's not the end of the world. By the time I claim it in SCL and re-check it, I'll only have a few hours to wait until I can get to the club. And after all these Tierra del F. junkets, I'm definitely used to long waits. The AC serving all oneworlders explains why it's open all day. Otherwise, it really seemed odd to have such long hours for only two AA flights in and out.

zpaul likes this.
  4. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last year I booked a lot of cheap AA F fares out of EZE to the US, and then bought a separate LA r/t ticket SCL-EZE (completely separate, nothing shared but my name and FF number), and in SCL they were always able to check my bag to the final destination with AA, but they couldn't issue my BP. When I got to EZE I just went through the int'l-to-int'l connections since they don't (or at least didn't) have any sort of check except for an x-ray machine to get into the terminal, went to the LAN Sala VIP and they were able to issue my BP.

PUQ may be able to check your bag all the way through, but the AA BP is what worries me, and since your connection is domestic to international, there's no shenanigans to be had.

But there is always Gatsby.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  5. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I'll just play it by ear. If PUQ can check the bag through to MIA, then I'll just go to the AC when I arrive in SCL and see if they can issue the boarding pass. All my recent trips home have been from EZE, and I had to clear immigration right after security. I don't know what the procedure is in SCL, but I guess I'll find out on my next trip. Not till January, but I figured I'd do a bit of advance research.

zpaul likes this.
  6. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately you're arriving on a domestic flight, so you won't have access to the AC because it's in the international terminal (I know, it's just a glass door that separates them, but still). You can't get into the int'l side, and thus to the AC, without the AA BP. But who knows? If it works out differently, let us know!

7. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, that makes sense--I mean South American sense. I couldn't imagine something so easy as proceeding to the SCL/MIA departure gate (or to the club) without going through the usual exit formalities. It's been many years since I've done a US/Chile r/t, so I'll be prepared for whatever happens (I hope). Anyway, muchismas gracias for the feedback.

zpaul likes this.
  8. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    i haven't been there since 2014, but the AC is seperate from LAN and you are able to check in early. It's a nice club.