Adjusting 738 F articulating seats

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Travel2Food, Mar 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had a situation last week on a new-version 738 with the articulating seats in F. A woman in the row behind me could not get her seat to recline. FA had no clue, but asked the captain to take a look. He easily fixed the issue by removing the seat cushion and bending a tab on each side back to it's normal position.

Just after takeoff, I discovered that my seat had the same issue. The FA had paid attention to what the captain did, and performed the same maneuver on my seat.

If you end up in F on a new version 738 in a seat that won't recline, make sure to ask the cabin crew if they can fix, or (if not) see if the captain knows what to do. Obviously, it would be much better to discover on the ground than in the air. It's a one minute fix, if it works.

HNL likes this.
  2. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good Tip.

3. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you happen to need to do it again, and are able to take a quick phone picture without looking like a hijacker, I'd love to see what to do if I'm stuck in the same situation! Thanks for sharing.

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always check to see that your seat works when the plane is at the gate - particularly with electric powered seats, or these newer articulating seats. For manual seats, make sure it stays in the reclined position. If it doesn't work perfectly, raise your hand and they'll call maintenance to fix it. Once you push back, it is at the captain's discretion - and I wouldn't expect a fix.

Once on DL a while back, in their first-generation Business Elite seats, I was flying to Europe (overnight) and the seat next to me wouldn't recline. The fellow sitting in it didn't realize the problem till we were in the air - too late for anything to be done. Business was completely full - so he literally had to sit fully upright the entire flight. While I'm sure he got some sort compensation from DL, assuming he had to turn up for a meeting the following morning, that consolation would have been of disproportionately little value.

People may look at you funny if you fully recline your seat at the gate, but the alternative, IMHO, is a lot less appealing.