Adjust reservation with companion pass?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Dad to GO, Sep 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if after I book a ticket on British Airways with a companion ticket if I am able to change the flight(s) or dates after it is booked and just pay the cost to adjust? $40 or whatever it is? This would make my booking of our trip much easier if I knew I could do that.

Thanks,

Gary

2. jools1006

jools1006 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can, and try to do it via the website or you'll be hit with the phone charge. And the charge is per person.

3. Darrell Roch

Darrell Roch Active Member

Status Points:
    You can try on the website, but normally that doesn't work, so then your stuck with talking to BA and paying a fee. I didn't realize they started charging fees when they switched to Avios.

4. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've certainly had no issues changing bookings online myself.

It might depend what booking you've made - if it's open jaw or mixed class you may need to call, you could always argue that it wasn't possible to make the changes online and that you don't feel it's fair to pay a 'phone' fee as well.

5. JimmyOs

JimmyOs Active Member

Status Points:
    Not only can you change date but you can change departing arriving airports as well. The one limitation I have run into (while departing USA) is that you can only change the zone on one of the legs.

We use an airport (SEA) that is hard to get rewards in and out of so it's a handy trick to book nearby and then switch as the awards become available.

6. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Suspect you mean YVR? I thought that you can only make one change online and then after that you have to call in?

7. Whatwasthat...
    Original Member

Whatwasthat... Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had an experience fairly recently where I needed to change the travel dates on a pair of tickets (one being a Companion Award voucher). The website wouldn't let me change the dates online, so I had to do it over the phone. I was told I had to cancel the first reservation and then book a new reservation (which I did with the Agent on the phone) because my new dates were "outside" of the window allowed for making a schedule change (original booking: Oct, 2012 - new booking: April, 2013). It didn't require more miles (although it did take about a week to ultimately get the miles & voucher situation allocated/applied correctly), but it did seem to cost a bit more service-charge-wise than I think a schedule change would have. Perhaps I could have done this in a better way and this might serve as a cautionary tale. I'm still pretty "green" at all this. :confused:

Hope this helps.