Additional Driver Rules of the Various Programs

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Dec 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish there was a generic Car Rental forum (instead of "Other", which implies anything but Hertz, Avis...")

Is there a resource that outlines what the policies are of the major car rental agencies in regards to additional drivers? I am particularly interested in spousal benefits. E.g., Hertz has this rule for AAA members:

http://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/travel/car/Hertz/HertzAAAMemberBenefits.html#hertz6

No Additional Driver Charge
    No charge for additional drivers who are AAA/CAA members, hold a major credit card in their own name and meet standard rental qualifications. Additional drivers who are not members are charged a daily fee of up to $15. Why should you pay for friends that are traveling with you to help with the driving? You shouldn’t, and as a AAA member, you won’t!

And for Gold members, Hertz.com advises:

How would I add an additional driver if I am a Gold Member?

If the person to be added on is your spouse, domestic partner or coworker, they are considered authorizedoperators and can operate the Hertz car without being added on. However, if they are not your spouse, domestic partner or coworker, you and the additional driver will need to go to any Hertz location to sign an Additional Authorized Operator (AAO) form to legally operate the Car. There is an additional fee for each Additional Authorized Operator (AAO)

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Here's the Avis rule on additional drivers -- key is that co-workers and spouse (age 25+) drive free without extra fee or prior registration.

. Is there an additional charge for more than one driver?
    In all states other than CA, NV and NY, the charge for additional drivers is $13 per day per additional driver, with a maximum charge of $65 per rental per driver. The additional driver fee in New York is $3 per day per additional driver. The additional driver fee in Nevada is $11 per day per additional driver, with a maximum charge of $55. There is no additional driver fee in California.

The following are exempt from additional driver charges:
    • renter's employer or regular fellow employee when on company business
    • renter's spouse or domestic partner
    • disabled renters who have completed the non-licensed renter form
    At the time of rental an additional driver must:
    • be at least 25 years of age
    • present a valid drivers license
    • present an Avis-honored charge card in his/her name
    • complete an additional driver form
    A maximum of 2 additional drivers can complete an additional driver form* for a rental. To save time, you can print out this form, complete and bring with you to the counter. Additional drivers who can drive the vehicle with the renter's permission (see Exceptions below) are not included in this requirement.

Exceptions:
    If 25 or older, the renter's employer or fellow employee (while on company business) or the renter's spouse may drive the car with the renter's permission. They need not be present at the time of rental to provide credit identification or to sign an additional driver form.

An authorized driver for a disabled renter is exempt from the additional driver credit requirement.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's what I found on budget.com (since I have a rental with them coming up, as they were TONS of $$$ cheaper than Hertz, my standard go-to agency):

Can someone else drive a car that I rent?
    Answer: Yes. An additional driver must be at least 25 years of age. Budget will check the additional drivers' license to ensure that it is valid. If the driving history reveals any of the following issues, Budget will be unable to allow the addition of the additional driver:

• invalid, suspended or revoked license
    • one or more convictions for reckless driving within 36 months
    • one DUI, DWI or DWAI conviction within 48 months
    • failure to report/leave scene of accident within 36 months
    • possession of stolen vehicle or use of a vehicle in a crime
    • expired license
    • three or more convictions for moving violations within 24 months (including seatbelt violations)
    • three or more accidents within 36 months
    • other activities that suggest an unsatisfactory driving record.

[​IMG] back to top
    Do you charge extra for an additional driver?
    Answer: Sometimes. Although additional driver rules at licensee-owned locations and locations outside of the U.S may vary, except for California, Nevada and New York, the fee for each additional driver is $13 per day with a maximum charge of $65 per rental. There is no additional driver fee in California. In Nevada the fee is $10 per day with a maximum charge of $50 per rental. In New York the fee is $3 per day. The following are exempt from the fee but must meet all other driver requirements: the renter's employer or fellow employee when on company business and renting under a corporate account; the renter's spouse or domestic partner; the companion driver of a renter with a disability who has completed the non-licensed renter form; for insurance replacement rentals, company employees or family members who are designated on the insurance policy.

It’s always best to check the terms and conditions on your online reservation confirmation or on the location information page to see which rules apply for your selected location.

and looking at my particular rental location, LAS:

The fee for each additional driver is $11.13/day. The following are exempt from the fee but must meet all other driver requirements:
    - the renter's employer or fellow employee when on company business and renting under a corporate account;
    - the renter's spouse, mate, life companion, significant other, live-in, domestic life partner or similar;

The term "mate" is interesting. ;) I guess I'll print that out and take it with me, in case they'll try and charge me for wanting to drive the car I booked in the name of my mate/wife.

4. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Enterprise and Alamo also provide spouse as an additional driver for free. National for sure does with my Emerald Club membership, but I'm not sure if that is the same for general rentals or not. Since Enterprise owns all 3, I suspect National also has the spouse as additional driver for free benefit on general rentals.