Additional Driver Q

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by guberif, Nov 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Renting at LAX on Friday for a long weekend. My wife doesn't usually travel with me, but is this time. I'm Exec so I don't have to go to counter; what do I do to make sure she is allowed to drive the car too? I know with some rental companies spouses are automatically covered...

uggboy and (deleted member) like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    No second-driver fees.Never pay extra when family members and business associates do the driving.

Authorized Drivers

Free (in the United States and Canada) - An Emerald Club member's spouse, immediate family member living with him/her, business partner, employer, or fellow associate who has an assigned corporate contract with National and drives the car for business purposes. All other additional authorized driver situations are subject to a daily charge. Click here for our policy on additional drivers.

Additional Driver

Additional Drivers:
    • All additional drivers must meet ALL rental qualifications in regard to age and driving record as well as all other standard rental qualifications.
    • Must appear at the rental counter with the primary renter.
    • Must present a valid driver's license.
    • Must sign the rental agreement.
    • An additional daily fee may apply for any Additional Drivers.

Exceptions

[​IMG]
    Israel
    Additional drivers on cash rentals do not need a credit card.
    [​IMG]
    United Kingdom
    Additional drivers must be over 21.

iolaire and uggboy like this.
  3. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought I had seen something through the exec club about being able to add your spouse ahead of time to avoid the counter visit. It's not that big of a deal, but we're traveling with our 1 and 3 year old and any extra stops suck.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try calling at the pickup location and give them the additional driver info to add to the reservation.

5. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good news! Emailed Emerald Club help and got the following response (short answer: spouses are always covered)

Discussion Thread
    Response Via Email 11/27/2012 04:16 PM
    Dear Guberif,

Thank you for your email regarding your Emerald Club account. This matter was forwarded to me for special attention.

I apologize for any confusion in regards to our authorized drivers policy. Please allow me a moment to explain. Emerald Club members’ spouses and immediate family residing in their household are considered authorized drivers. To qualify as an authorized driver, the other driver must be at least 25 years old with a valid driver's license which reflects an address that matches the Emerald Club members. These drivers are considered to be authorized on each rental the Emerald Club member makes and do not need to present their information at locations in the United States and Canada. An authorized driver can drive your rentals without an additional driver fee, but please note that an authorized driver cannot pickup a vehicle booked on the account of an Emerald Club customer without the account holder's presence at the time of vehicle pickup.

Please email us again if you have any further questions or comments.

Best Regards,
    Michael
    Special Services
    National Car Rental
    Customer By Web Form (Richard Nickeson) 11/27/2012 03:11 PM
    Hello! I am renting a vehicle at LAX from 11/30 - 12/4. I will be traveling with my wife, and she may drive the vehicle as well. As an Emerald Club Executive member, I don't have to visit the counter. However, I don't know if am forced to in order to allow my wife to drive. Could you please advise?

Thanks!

6. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought one additional driver is always free in California across all agencies. They don't have to be related to you.

7. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not a question of free, but rather if you have to go through all the paperwork for the extra driver (which definitely slows down the elite pick up process).

8. Fyaric

Fyaric Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are counting on the cc insurance you might need to have all second drivers listed including spouse. Check with your cc!

9. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. I'd imagine if you're both members of the same credit card account, and that account is the one the reservation is on, you would be covered. If you're relying on the credit card's insurance and the other driver isn't on that account I'd expect the CC would deny the claim if the other person was driving during an accident.

My girlfriend would be an authorized driver on my rental (valid ID with same address), but if the rental is on my company Amex that she's not named on, she would not be covered by the credit card's insurance.

10. Fyaric

Fyaric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure about that.

11. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Certainly YMMV, but in reading my credit card's verbiage... if we're both members of the same account (same cc number, two cards), it reads that we would both be covered by the card's insurance. If the card is used for the rental, it should cover anyone that has that card/number.

Completely different story, but I know with our company Amex... anyone who works for my company is covered. So if we're travelling as a group, any one of us can drive and are covered by Amex (as it was explained to me).