Adding an Inter Island Economy Leg to a Business Award

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Muerl, Mar 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I am trying to book a business award from KOA to BOS and am somewhat confused about things.

So I can route KOA-LAX-PHX-PHL-BOS or at least it gives me the option and I can do HNL-SAN-PHL-BOS but if I try to tack on a KOA-HNL leg, it will not do it. If I go to multi city, it will let me do an economy award KOA-HNL for 5k miles and then the HNL-SAN-PHL-BOS routing but that adds 5k to my ticket cost.

Shouldn't I be able to tack on an Economy Leg to a business award if its and economy only flight?

2. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Up until a few years ago, one could only use AA miles to be redeemed for interisland awards, priced at 5,000 each leg.

Then, a few years ago AA changed their redemption policy with AA allowing AAdvantage Miles to be redeemed for all of HA's routes.

The interisland award policy has never changed.

So if you're wanting to redeem AA miles for interisland travel on HA, there's no way to avoid paying additional miles.

There was a recent discussion of the HA segment costing more on TOBB:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...57-booking-jfk-hnl-koa-ha-using-aa-miles.html

3. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Max. I guess thats just the way it. The idea then I think would be to book the HNL-BOS award and just add the KOA-HNL leg later

4. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just be aware that the KOA-HNL inventory could go quicker than you expect because multiple airlines besides HA's and AA's frequent flyer programs let one redeem miles for interisland tickets from the same pool of award seats amongst the carriers.

5. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The cash fare was only $80 so I would pay it if need be. I am trying to find the least painful way to fly from Hawaii to Boston with a Toddler.

6. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why wouldn't you want to go direct from KOA-LAX? You say you want to find the least painful way to fly from HI to MA with a toddler but KOA-HNL-SAN-PHL-BOS is the exact same number of connections as KOA-LAX-PHX-PHL-BOS. The KOA-LAX leg is a red-eye but a vast majority of HI-Mainland flights are either red-eyes or get into the West Coast late at night anyway. You haven't provided any details about the schedules otherwise but I guess I am missing how one of those is less painful than the other, when one costs less miles.

7. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My goal was to fly transcon on a red eye and not the xHawaii.

I have a hold on KOA-SEA-BOS which would be fine, except it basically means leaving 9pm out of KOA and getting to SEA first thing in the morning, then flying all day with an awake toddler. The alternative I had hopped for was flying out HNL at I can get to the mainland and have both a nap a and then connect to a transcon.

Sadly none of them arrive early enough for a BOS transcon.

So my new plan is 2 days in HNL and then fly home from there

8. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for clarifying, your motives are much clearer now, but unfortunately quite difficult to schedule around the Hawaii->Mainland legs since so many occur at the same time of day. Best of luck! :)