Adding a leg with ITA Matrix without the wait?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by braddo, Jul 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. braddo

braddo Active Member

Status Points:
    All, newbie with a first post. Have searched around but not found the answer.

I'm looking into 3Xs by adding legs at the end of a multi-city trip. But, iterating on that last leg looking for interesting ones seems to require that you rerun the entire search, picking the same original legs with all associated waits before trying a new 3X leg.

Are there any shortcuts to using Matrix for sequentially investigating that last leg without all of the pain.

BTW, what's a "1X"

Thanks!

2. SOLTATIO

SOLTATIO Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the top right hand corner, when Matrix is displaying your search results, there should be a link titled "modify search." That will take you back to the search and your information will still be completed.
    As for a 1X, I suggest you read the Fuel Dumping posts by Scottrick on his "Hack my Trip" Blog for full and proper descriptions. http://hackmytrip.com/2012/01/introduction-to-fuel-dumping/

3. braddo

braddo Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Soltatio - I think I figured out how to address the issue. It wasn't that I was having to type in the routing, it was the waiting for the answers to come back. Basically I was asking Keanu to search for all of the possibilities in my initial round trip over and over. Not enough cycles left over to deeply search the 3X possibilities. I figured out that I can specify the exact routings (i.e. complete flight numbers) of those first legs using the right syntax, which speeds up the process quite a bit. It would be better if I could just search for the add on flight, but it's bearable now. Still no luck finding any 3Xs though, beginning to think they don't exist. I'm going to post a request for help in the trick it thread and see if anyone can PM some additional hints. Thanks again!

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to try AAA-BBB and then CCC-DDD and then EEE-FFF as your three 3x options you can just put AAA,CCC,EEE on the from line and BBB,DDD,FFF on the to line for the third segment. It'll try all of them.

And ITA doesn't show all FDs anymore, even when there are booking engines which will price them.

dadainus and desamo like this.
  5. braddo

braddo Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Aramean, I think I got that part. Actually, after weeks and weeks of doing 300 mi radius searches adding a 3X from all possible short intra IATA routes I've never seen any add on change the YQ of any flights whatsoever. Your comment about keanu not showing FDs anymore is intruiging. If that's the case, how would you find them? Search on the OTA directly? Negotiator, eBaggers, Payamama etc?

6. dadainus

dadainus Member

Status Points:
    Just learn something new, thanks for the tip

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  7. braddo

braddo Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm finding it quite difficult to find any 3x to show up on ita at this point. I have now a list of about 10 or so, which were "known to be working" by a few different friends on this and the other board. However, I either don't understand the combinability rules well enough or ita is "tricking back" and artificially not showing the bookable flight as wandering aramean said. If anyone has any suggestions for how to get a known 3x to work on an OTA when ita won't show it, I would love a PM. I'm happy to share my list of dumps with anyone who can help to dump a particular itin I have from C1 to C2 three weeks from now. Are you flyer enough? :)

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are a lot of OTAs which will price dumps that ITA doesn't show. Many of them are the same ones oft discussed/used normally (xp, orb, tvlcty, vaya, etc.). Unfortunately, however, the results will vary wildly, even on a "known good" deal, depending on the booking engine and the dump in question. At this point the best advice I can offer is to keep trying and don't get caught up on just one engine.

9. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP braddo!

10. braddo

braddo Active Member

Status Points:
    appreciate it!