Addicted to Hotel Status?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by holycow4, Oct 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. holycow4

holycow4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I need to join Hotel Status Anonymous? Who is as addicted as I am?

A-Club Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Best Western Diamond, IHG Royal Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum

[​IMG]

2. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Holy Cow,
    Why such a slacker on Marriott and Radisson....?
    I have the same problem though not as bad.

rwoman, kenbo and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about you, but sometimes it's so bad that it becomes a real dilemma trying to figure out which hotel to stay in based solely on status.

I was eyeballing a leisure trip to Tampa and was hell-bent on the InterContinental, even though that's not really a good leisure hotel, doesn't have a really good pool and it's nowhere near the beach -- based solely on my status with them.

By comparison I could stay in a much nicer hotel in St. Pete like Sirata, on the beach and with 3 pools, but my concern then is "they don't have a points program, I don't have status and wouldn't get any perks"

Yeah it's bad :)

4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    How many nights do you spend in hotels?!

rwoman and JohnDeere19 like this.
  5. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a feeling he/she is spending a night in multiple hotels :)

6. holycow4

holycow4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I've cheated in a couple of the programs by participating in status matches - like SPG which went away in March and Best Western, "just because".

I agree with Viguera that it sometimes gets hard to choose which hotel to stay at.

7. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Btw the first expression that came to my mind on seeing this list was the OP's handle :)

8. holycow4

holycow4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have always been biased towards Hyatt and SPG so haven't stayed at many Marriotts.

9. holycow4

holycow4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha, I have been guilty of that, mostly to take advantage of stacked bonuses, but I don't think I'll be able to keep this up for next year.

rwoman and JohnDeere19 like this.
  10. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek: Wow, that's incredible.

I can totally relate. The first place I look is IC's thanks to ambassador status and the great benefits. Often times, it's far more expensive and less convenient though.

rwoman and k_malm like this.
  11. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprisingly close given how few nights I actually spend in hotels.

Accor - top tier (promo)
    Hilton - mid-tier (stays actually, but easy to get diamond with a promo now)
    Hyatt - top-tier (smd3)
    Spg - top-tier (actual stays)
    IHG - top-tier (promo)

rwoman likes this.
  12. Santander

Santander Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to try to always stay at hotels where I'd earn points, but high prices drove me away sometimes and now I am a little more open to where I stay. Stayed at a couple of great non-chain hotels recently which were great.

I like Marriott but I wish they had stay-based qualification... I'm a one or two night type of guy.

rwoman likes this.
  13. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are at a Park Hyatt right now. Overall while it of course varies by city I believe I am most impressed with the IHG Royal Ambassador and platinum Fairmont loyalty benefits and hotels.

rwoman and mowogo like this.
  14. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree completely. I am sad that because of personal events I was not able to requalify as a Royal Ambassador this year. Trying to see if I can pull off another RA stay before my status expires later next month.

rwoman likes this.
  15. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be that as it may, I think it's still an interesting question to have answered. I have about 40-60 nights a year in the hotels and can't imagine getting anywhere close to that number, mostly due to a ridiculous variety of hotel chains I get to stop in.

rwoman likes this.
  16. holycow4

holycow4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I periodically vacillate between chasing status in the various hotel programs or giving up and relying just on programs like Amex FHR. It is a lot of hard work!

rwoman likes this.
  17. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    What makes it worth pursuing premier status is the opportunity to enjoy at times extraordinary suites, amenities, free meals, nights for at times a rather modest expense. In the most extreme situations I occasionally feel guilty because I feel they are almost paying me to stay at their property.

rwoman likes this.
  18. Santander

Santander Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll admit to almost feeling guilty on a couple of occasions for the same reason. Then I went back to enjoying the view.

19. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    My mindset is nowhere near this. For me, the participation in the program is determined by the specific hotels in the program. Right now, I'm all about Hilton. In time that will change as my travel destinations change over the years. I'm planning a few more trips to New York City soon and I expect to be staying at Hilton. But when I get around to being a tourist in DC, I'll switch to another hotel loyalty program because Hilton doesn't have hotels that are particulary interesting to me in DC. So, right now Hilton has the opportunity to sell more product to me than they will in the future.
    As for the benefits of status, I really believe it depends on the individual hotel. I spent a night in the downtown Atlanta Hilton, which is across the street from a very popular Marriott, and the "status" experience far surpassed my expectations. However, I spent a night at the airport Hilton in Wichita; and my experience was not significantly better than my previous stays at the Wichita Motel6.;)

rwoman likes this.
  20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah but the problem with that approach is that while you "cultivate" your status with Hilton you're basically neglecting your status with other chains.

Then all of the sudden you're top tier with Hilton but a lowly "member" with SPG then it's time for that DC or Vegas stay and you end up without any perks during your stay.

I think this is what drives people to pursue status on as many chains as possible, IMO.

rwoman, kenbo, 2soonold and 1 other person like this.
  21. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear ya, I think. If I suddenly decided to go to Sioux City, which I have never been to, I would just see what hotels were available and pick one. But if I decided to go to New York City, I would already know I would be staying with Hilton. This gives Hilton the opportunity to sell me many more stays, that I might easily have given to their competitors; such as a stay at a Hampton in Sioux City.
    And, yes I could wind up with a stay without any perks at another hotel; but, at the moment as I am in Hilton's loyalty program, status and perks are only of any importance to me when I am staying with Hilton.

rwoman likes this.
  22. tin509

tin509 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My name is Tin509 and I am a hotel status addict....
    While I'm Gold with Hilton and its cool depending on the property (like free breakfast buffet at Hilton Vegas), My addiction is with Hyatt. I'm Diamond status and completely spoiled. They roll out the red carpet service for sure at most mid-high end properties...especially internationally. I feel like a super star! I'm short a few stays to maintain it but rest assured I will complete those stays somehow (probably local HP or SS) come hell or high water...

I won't get started on my Delta Platinum addiction and my crazy mileage runs to maintain it for next year (which I have already done) whew!

rwoman likes this.
  23. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fortunately, I'm not addicted to having hotel status. That said, airline status is a whole other issue.... ;)

Santander likes this.
  24. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed, I currently am IHG Plat/RA, SPG Plat, Hyatt & Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver. This year I'll have not achieved top status in a number of hotels, the first year where promos have been less than appealing (IMO).

As all my stays are my own dime, there is a good chance that I'll go back to my original priceline self, that is unless the ecomony tanks, if it does we'll see plenty of great hotel promos come back.

rwoman and miles and smiles like this.
  25. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt Diamond
    Hilton Diamond
    SPG Platinum
    PC Platinum Ambassador
    Accor Platinum [promo]
    Marriot Gold [promo but Silver through stays]
    Best Western Gold [no idea why?]

Plus with the Club Carlson 50K promo, I'll add some more orphan points to my occasional Fairmont stays [should have bought lifetime when it was available :(.

I admit, I am a hotel point addict. More so than air miles.

rwoman likes this.