Add Citi AA AmEx Card for 20k points (targeted)

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by mikeschu, Aug 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received this offer in the mail as I have the Citi AA Visa. There is a reference code that appears to be tied to my account, but I wanted to make people aware of this one.

Card Offer:

Add a Citi AA Amex card to your account and receive the following bonuses:
    • 20% more RDM earning on purchases within the first 18 months of ownership
    • 20,000 bonus miles with $500 spend in four months
    • No annual fee as long as you keep your Current Citi AA card account open.
    One of the notes says that mileage caps are shared.
    This doesn't seem like the best deal to go for but if you can't cycle the Citi cards it may be worthwhile to get to add to the Million Miler status.

Specific to me:
    I was one of those who received the AmEx earlier and activated it (oops), so I'm wondering how to best take advantage of this offer. Any suggestions welcome - I'd love to get the 20k RDM for that spend requirement.

Toula and jmrich1432 like this.
  2. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oddly enough my husband received the same offer. We both received the AmEx earlier but did not activate. Not sure why he got it and I didn't.

Needless to say this one is destined for the shredder.

3. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it worth a credit hit?

4. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How's this NOT a good deal? 20,000 bonus miles on a low spend and 20% more miles on a second AA credit card! Not too many people have been successful receiving both cards when signing up for both the personal Citi AA Visa and the personal Citi AA Amex at the same time. Most seem to be receiving only one 75,000 mile bonus and a turn down on the second personal card. Here's an easy way to pick up another 20,000 miles for a couple of points off your credit score.

jwsky likes this.
  5. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    First they just sent me the card. It came in the mail with my updated MC. The deal was to share the credit limit and I would have an Amex card. Lucky me! I called and said no thanks and shredded it. Then, they started snail mailing me an application for the same card with 20k bonus miles. No fee if I keep the MC active. I must have gotten two of these a week for a couple of months. Now, today, I get an email offering 25k miles with a $750 spend. Also, a$50 statement credit and 1.2 miles a $ for eighteen months and no fee..

What next?????

6. tarheelblue
    Original Member

tarheelblue Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems that we are also receiving these every few weeks. I called and was told it's not a credit hit, because the two cards are essentially sharing a single account--one bill comes each month with all charges from both cards. They told me there is no credit pull. Also, be aware that the new card is branded AmEx but serviced by Citi.

jwsky likes this.
  7. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I activated the Amex not too long after I got it based on the 20% extra miles on purchases made with it and a bonus, but I don't recall that bonus being as nice as 20-25K extra miles, more like 5K, I think. :(

8. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    My SO got the offer and applied. Her credit was checked. They even sent back an IRS form to fill out to get the card!

jwsky likes this.
  9. tarheelblue
    Original Member

tarheelblue Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did they provide an explanation? What income is she receiving from Citi that would necessitate an IRS form (and what form was it?) If miles are income, then we are all in serious trouble!

10. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was the form for requesting additional information from IRS. So don't get worried.
    It was idiotic. So she didn't respond.

11. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got the offer of 25,000 + $50 statement credit to add the Amex. I'd do it in a second if there was no hard pull, but given the form asks for my SSN and the T&Cs say they may obtain information from credit bureaus, I'm inclined to think they do a pull.

On second thought, I'm pretty sure that I applied for my current AA visa more than 18 months ago. Any reason I couldn't just sign up for the AA amex through the current 50K offer? Might as well get more miles if I'm going to get a hard pull anyway.

12. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got both cards at the same time (@75,000 not too long ago) by clearing my browser cookies and submitting both applications about 10 minutes apart from each other.

Think there is any way for those of us who already have both cards to get in on that 20% RDM bonus? That would be sweet!

13. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I log onto my account, I get an offer for 25,000 miles for adding the AMEX card:
    25,000 miles after spending $750 within 4 months
    $50 statement credit for an AA purchase
    20% bonus miles for first 18 months
    no annual fee as long as existing Citi AA card remains open.