ACTT: Announcing Premium Economy & new 777-300ERs

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by global_happy_traveller, Feb 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone

As the anticipation is building for the launch of Altitude in a few weeks, we’re excited to tell you about another major product introduction – a new cabin, to be known as Premium Economy.

Obviously there is a lot of information to share, but below are some of the most pertinent details about Premium Economy on Air Canada flights:
    Premium Economy will be introduced on new aircraft. We’ll launch Premium Economy on five new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft that are joining our fleet over the course of the coming year. These aircraft will also feature Executive First and Economy Class (more on that further below…).

Premium Economy will be a separate cabin. Complementing our Executive First and Economy Class products, Premium Economy will be positioned in a dedicated cabin featuring 24 spacious seats with more recline, offering up to seven more inches of legroom than Economy Class. Additionally, the seats will be wider, and the cabin will be set in a 2-4-2 configuration.

Premium Economy will offer priority airport services. The purchase of a Premium Economy fare will entitle you to priority check-in, baggage handling and boarding. Additionally, there will be a complimentary checked baggage allowance of 2 bags, up to 23kg each.

Premium Economy will deliver premium amenities onboard. Premium Economy customers will enjoy pre-departure beverages, an enhanced in-flight meal service including complimentary wine & spirits, plus an amenity kit and more.

Premium Economy will be eligible for mileage accumulation. The purchase of a Premium Economy fare will entitle you to 100% Aeroplan Miles & Altitude Qualifying Miles. Naturally, any Altitude privileges to which you are entitled will also apply when traveling in Premium Economy. Two items worth noting, however:
    • eUpgrades You'll be able to upgrade from Premium Economy to Executive First with eUpgrade Credits – the number of credits required & booking window are aligned with upgrades from ‘M’ class. For launch, though, it will not be possible to upgrade from Economy Class to Premium Economy. We are evaluating how to offer eUpgrades to Premium Economy, and more information on this is to come.
    • Aeroplan Flight Rewards For launch of Premium Economy, you will not be able to redeem your Aeroplan Miles for this cabin. Again, we are evaluating how to offer this product, are more details will be shared as they become available.
    Premium Economy will use a new booking class. When you purchase a Premium Economy fare, you'll notice that you are booked in ‘O’ class.

Premium Economy will launch on July 11, 2013. Beginning today, you’ll be able to book Premium Economy fares. For launch, it will only be available on a single route, Montreal – Paris, although we’ll announce additional routes in the coming months.

Premium Economy will also be available on Air Canada rouge. We’ll offer Premium Economy, known as Premium rouge, on rouge services operated by Boeing 767-300ERs (such as those to Edinburgh, Venice and Athens). More details on this at aircanada.com/rouge.​
    As mentioned above, Premium Economy will be launched on new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. Take note of a few important details for you about these five aircraft that will be new additions to our fleet:
    Executive First will feature a redesigned seat. The seat will convert into a 180-degree lie-flat bed in a staggered configuration, giving you the choice of sitting alone or with a companion. (For those who have traveled internationally in Business Class with our Star Alliance partners SWISS or brussels airlines, you may find the seat to be somewhat similar). Additionally, you can expect the same Executive First service you’ve come to enjoy on all of our other mainline flights.

All seats feature an improved entertainment system. All passengers, regardless of cabin class, will be able to enjoy a state of the art entertainment system with simplified navigation and a broad selection of movies, TV shows & music available from gate-to-gate.

These new features are a preview of what’s ahead with the 787. While we’re excited about the new products we’re bringing to you onboard these new 777s, there is a lot more to come with our 787s, including a fully redesigned Executive First seat, plus additional new features in Premium Economy & Economy Class. The new modern cabin design featuring black leather, charcoal grey and beige onboard these 777s will be complementary to the exciting new interior we'll launch in 2014 with the 787. More details on that closer to launch of Dreamliner service.​
    Further details about Premium Economy are available at aircanada.com/premiumeconomy.

Stay tuned for more information about the upcoming launch of Air Canada Altitude, as well – we’ll be posting additional information in the coming days.

YULtide and sobore like this.
  2. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Interesting to note......

Economy class gone from 32 to 31 inches
    and the current 3-3-3 configuration in Y will become 3-4-3..........

YULtide likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek::(:eek:

YULtide likes this.
  4. You cannot expand the metal tube so something had to give. AC is following other major carriers, and in some cases being a leader, in offering enhanced seating for a price. The 787's will be entirely a long haul fleet so comfort will be well thought out and priced in.

5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    " Something had to give"...this concerns "only" the majority of passengers. Unlike I'm mistaken?
    I don't believe they wanted " to give ".

6. Last time I looked AC was still a for profit business and maximizing returns to the shareholders is management's job. Many airlines around the world have the same back cabin configuration. If you want a better rental car or hotel room you pay up for them as well. The airline industry was giving away their products too cheaply for far too long. Sadly that is changing.

7. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    While there are multiple configurations for Econ seating on 777s, many are 9 across (either 3-3-3 or 2-5-2). Yes, some airlines may opt for 3-4-3 seating but to couple that with shrinking 32 --> 31" is a bit tight for the flyer in the back. If you fly in Economy, that 1 inch of width or length makes a much bigger difference than up front!

It would be nice if the same thought out and priced in factor was for the 777 and not just the 787.

8. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    sure u can, blow in some composite ;)

YULtide likes this.
  9. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll bet you a Guiness that the 787 ends up with 9-abreast in Y - not sure how you will equate that with "well thought out comfort for long haul". Hope I lose the bet.

I'm sensing that J will be leading edge as the pods were when first launched.

10. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly 3-4-3/2-5-2 on the 777 is increasingly common ... and many airlines are going with 3-3-3 on the 787 as well. The end result is that increase in passenger comfort on the 787 will be limited.

For me,the seat width decrease will be tolerable as I still won't overflow the seat, though elbow space (for using a laptop etc) will be at a premium. The seat pitch decrease is more worrying, but I will put my hopes on AC having selected one of the new-tech Y seats with a thinner back that recovers that 1" of space (and also saves weight/fuel).

I fear that PE is what I will be striving for in the future.

Oh yes, did anyone notice that it's only three rows of PE? UA has 10 rows of 2-5-2 seating in their E+ cabin on the 772.

11. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll take 2-5-2 over 3-4-3 any day (do the math :confused:)

At 3-3-3 on the 787 I see a decrease in passenger comfort compared to a 763 not a "limited" increase.

But AC will likely earn more dollars from their three rows of PE than UA earns from 10 rows of E+

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch! You got me there ...

Welcome to the world where airlines try to survive. See the UA 3-3-3 layout here:
    http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_787-800.php

Quite true. Doesn't look like there will be any automatic upgrades for top-tier Altitude members.

13. i think AC will eventually have an upgrade program from y to yp. They are trying to figure that out and will.

14. Food Wine and Miles

Food Wine and Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    So in economy, the seats are as "cozy" as a CRJ, and "cozier" than an E75. OUCH!

15. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't do much about the seat width, there is no magic to be found there. But modern seats can easily recover that "lost inch" of seat pitch. For example:
    http://www.recaro-as.com/cl3620.html

guinnessxyz likes this.
  16. 1. I don't disagree with you on 9 across but some airlines are doing 10 across so it is all relative IMHO.
    2. They won't go to similar pods again; too much "real estate" (their expression) used up. The LX model seems to be what fits best and there can be variations of that but by using some of the lower space of the seat in front and the LX type of staggering it would seem to be the logical choice. What AC could and may do is create more space on some seats in the cabin and call them premium J for top tier customers or those who pay full J. They desperately want to compete with Asian carriers who have F cabins.

mtlfire likes this.
  17. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Name one.

I think you are getting confused - when first designed the plane was "supposed" to be configured as 2-4-2 (8 across), but quite a number of carriers have gone 3-3-3 (9 across) including UA, LOT, LAN. I can't imagine anyone shoe horning in 10 seats.

Here is a listing of how airlines have configured their 787's: http://cruisinaltitude.com/2012/11/21/boeing-787-dreamliner-seating-configurations-seat-map/

18. I maybe thinking of the 380. I really don't pay much attention to the back cabin configs so I could be mistaken. I simply will not fly in the back on a very long haul flight.

19. Food Wine and Miles

Status Points:
    10 across in a 388 is a very different story than 10 across on a 773. AF has 10 across on their 388, but still maintains 19" seat width.

20. No disagreement there, but you better be on a vegan diet if you plan to fit in one of those seats. ;)
    Oh and lay off the white wine also :p

Food Wine and Miles likes this.
  21. Food Wine and Miles

Status Points:
    No amount of dieting or avoidance of white wine is going to get me into a 17" seat for a longhaul flight! :)

22. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doing some research, 10 abreast (3-4-3) definitely looks like a trend. AA, AF, KL, EK, EY are now all 3-4-3 in the back, and with UA doing 3-3-3 on the 787, 3-4-3 on 777 can't be far behind.

Incidentally, the EY J seats are 2-4-2, the same as AC's premium economy.

guinnessxyz likes this.
  23. The PY seats will be fine for medium haul overnight flights to Europe as people will be able get some sleep. I know I did before the lie flats came along. As sated in an earlier post AC has no choice but to ramp up their service offerings particularly to Asia where the competition is intensifying and most Asian carriers offer 4 classes of seats and service. The "drop" to 36 J on the 777's but the addition of 24 PY seats makes both economic and service sense. It allows them to sell 60 premium seats on any given flight as opposed to 42. Squeezing more people into the back cabin gives me shudders but I guess there will be a learning curve for them on those configs.

24. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Non-AC flyer here with a question. I'll be stuck in the back of some carrier's equipment with my family in the way to TLV at the end of this year. Am I right in assuming g that the 763 on this route won't be affected by this? I'm trying to make a choice on whom to fly, and this would definitely affect my decision.

25. That is the correct assumption.