Active ATM Skimmers in Cancun Mexico Area (Investigation)

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by iolaire, Sep 16, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good investigation on active ATM skimmers in Cancun area by Brian Krebbs at:
    http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/09/tracking-bluetooth-skimmers-in-mexico-part-ii/

Bloggers please write posts about this.

Two things to learn:
    1 Be very careful about using an ATM, go for bank ATMs if possible
    2 Use a debit card attached to a low balance bank account, so you don't loose much of its comprised

I need to be better about #2, I have such a card but have not been using it. That's putting my larger balances at risk.

snap, anileze, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was about to write about a peripheral con, in playa del carmen, with essentially the European tourists, and some gringos on a package tour. [But I am lazy and procrastinator :) ] This has to do with Dollar ATMs. Now, why would you, a russian, or non US CC/ATM card holder, ever !!! withdraw dollars from an ATM-on-the-street ? Anyways, good you posted - I hope, none of the MPers get conned into these scams !

iolaire likes this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think a lot of Americans in Mexico will spend dollars if they can since its easier for them to understand and they are widely accepted.

anileze and Newscience like this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    A good point, iolaire! There are few places in the world where dollars are not readily accepted. I only ran into this issue once while travelling some years ago, and it sure wasn't in Mexico! ;)

anileze and iolaire like this.
  5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Away from the tourist gulch, even the regular bars & restaurants prey on Da Turist ;) Just earlier this week.

ImageUploadedByMilepoint1442643709.122267.jpg

The average exchange at Banamex and Bancomar branches in the city was hovering at 16.75/$

I am in the wrong profession ;)

iolaire likes this.