AC's first femalepilot

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by milchap, Oct 25, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, good on her for sticking it out! Back in my younger days, I had vague notions of becoming the first woman to be a certificated colliery manager; didn't quite make it, as someone in New Zealand got her mine management ticket in the early Nineties. The "not wanted in the treehouse" dynamic was just as real, though, back in the day.

I always get a bit of a boost to hear that there are two female pilots up front. As much as anything, it goes to reinforce the notion that all of our children, girls and boys together, may have the opportunity to grow up to do the work that best suits their skills and temperament.

YULtide, satman40 and milchap like this.
  3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, the glass ceiling still exists in some sectors....but there are some good cracks appearing in the glass !

mevlannen, YULtide and satman40 like this.
  4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They get there because they earn it, not because they are female.

The extra work deprives from other activities, nothing is free.

It is all about choice., and planning for SUCESS.

mevlannen likes this.
  5. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    (looks off into the curve of time, and ponders what to write...)

Indeed, nothing is free, but some privileges come as a matter of fortunate birth, or as part of demonstrably-biassed selection processes.

I do, however, quite agree with Satman40's observation that the extra work deprives from other activities. And Milchap is quite correct in observing the remnant existence of the glass ceiling. In my own lived experience, that was an obstacle that could not be reduced, but it could (in large measure) be worked-around by forming and running my own company. Sometimes the best response to an unwelcoming treehouse is to go find another tree to climb.

(raises cup of morning coffee to all, and prepares to set forth on a long drive in the freezing rain, to get to YQU and the day's string of aircraft-rides -- and at least one of those cheese trays!)

YULtide likes this.
  6. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Recent observation on Twitter - might have been Gloria Steinem - to the effect that we will have achieved equality when a mediocre woman can do as well as a mediocre man.