Ack! Help with award ticket change

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by riverchica, Feb 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey wise MPers,

I have an award ticket booked through CO and just received an e-mail with a schedule change that strands me in London for >24 hours. :(

The original ticketing is:
    Mar 2nd SEA-FRA on LH O
    Mar 3rd FRA-LHR on LH I
    Mar 3rd LHR-CPT on SA I (arriving Mar 4th)

The changed ticketing is:
    Mar 2nd SEA-FRA on LH O
    Mar 3rd FRA-LHR on LH I
    Mar 4th LHR-CPT on SA I (arriving Mar 5th)

I took a look on Continental's site and couldn't find available Biz class seats to CPT departing LHR or FRA on March 3rd. I also couldn't find an available alternative routing from SEA - CPT. Any suggestions? Thanks, MP peeps!

2. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can see a few routes.

1. SEA-NYC-JNB-CPT?
    2. SEA-ORD/SFO-ZRH-CPT?
    3. SEA-IAD-JNB-CPT

Flyer1976, riverchica and AZjohn like this.
  3. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    And to add to kyunbit post, when I have a schedule change sometimes when I call the agent (actually a supervisor) they can magicly open up a seat for me that doesn't show available.

riverchica likes this.
  4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The problem you have is that the impacted flight is on SA. Since you booked a CO award, CO can not just open up availability on a partner airline as they could if it was a CO flight. If there were any *A flights available you could change routing etc. for no cost. But unfortunately it does not appear that there is any partner business award availability.

Bottom line is I think you are out of luck.

riverchica and AZjohn like this.
  5. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good luck getting through to an Agent. It's been crazy this week. I've tried mornings on the way to work, during lunch, in the afternoon, and evenings. Most times, they just say that their call volume is too high, try back later, and then they hang up. When I have gotten through I've been on hold for 1-1.5 hrs before something came up and I had to hang up. About the only time I've been able to get ahold of them is after 1 AM CST, and even then the wait time is a bit ridiculous. So, shoot for late nights/early mornings if you do have to call (I had to call because individual legs were showing availability, but they wouldn't bundle together as a reservation online).

On the bright side, when I have gotten through, the agents are incredibly helpful and courteous. And I've had luck getting the call center fees dropped when it was an issue with their computer system that wouldn't allow me to book those legs online.

miles and smiles and AZjohn like this.
  6. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm assuming you are talking about the CO phone line (as OP has booked on CO).
    I hope it is not this way on the UA lines today because I have to call in a little while as both UA and CO have downloaded their schedule changes and I need help (OT: Do we have a thread to warn MP members when UA/CO downloads their shedule changes? Just now learned through FT).

Bottom line, I really-really hope on March 3 the phone lines will also merge and help out CO agents.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    It'll probably add a connection but search for seats to JNB and then add on an award JNB-CPT, that may open up options. There's not a ton of international flying in and out of CPT. Most of the lift is for JNB. You have routes there via MUC, ZRH, FRA, IST, CAI, LIS, and also IAD and JFK as well in addition to LHR.

riverchica and Kalboz like this.
  8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've called co a few times in the past weeks and each time they offered a call back service. It worked well even if the call back can take over an hour.

Kalboz likes this.
  9. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, It's the CO phone line I've been calling.

They've never offered me the call back service. I've been calling 1-800-621-7467. Is there a better number to be calling?

miles and smiles and Kalboz like this.
  10. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip. I'm not seeing Biz (or even first) availability from any of those routes for an award ticket.
    I've read conflicting things on different threads - can I ask Continental to rebook me only on a flight that has award availability or on a flight that has any availability? Thanks!

deant and Kalboz like this.
  11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Award Availability for Star Alliance Partners, CO can open up their own flights by calling their own Revenue/Yield Management departments. However for Star Alliance Partners you're at the mercy of whatever is available. I'll do some research for you on your trip and see if we can find O/I available for other options.

If you're feeling adventurous you could get SEA-YYZ-GRU-JNB-CPT all in Business Class however you'd miss out on Lufthansa F if you leave on the 1st you'd arrive on the 3rd. That'd be an nice routing to get to South Africa.

TAHKUCT, deant, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  12. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    1-800-525-0280 it's the numbers show when I try to change flights and it doesn't let me do it myself. I have no status, but it is an int first class reservation.

Kalboz likes this.
  13. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, DIG/R_1K! I love the suggestion but I can't leave SEA any earlier than March 2nd. I'm looking forward to my LH F segment but I'd be willing to toss it for something more convenient if need be. You guys are great for helping!

Kalboz and IDGflygirl like this.
  14. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    . . . on hold with CO . . .

Kalboz likes this.
  15. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    . . . still on hold . . . for real. . .

16. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    I give.
    Been on hold for >3 hours. No joke. What's up with that, Continental? At 2 hours in, I was connected to a representative for 5 seconds who only came on to say "transferring you to another agent" and then back to hold purgatory.

17. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's rather odd... I just called the general # and got patched through instantly without using my elite #.

18. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Huh. Just called again and got a message "Your wait time will be greater than 30 minutes".

19. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was on hold for 2 hrs before dinner then had to go, and now I've been on hold for 1:40 as of now. I was on hold for about 2 hrs this morning and finally got through to add a leg to my non ticketed reservation. I figured once I got my reservation set up I could transfer chase points and finish online. Agent said that I'd have to call back and as far as I can tell she was right as I can't find a way to finalize it online. Reservation expires at midnight CST so'll see if I'm still on hold at that point.

I've tried 3 different numbers. Currently I'm using 800-525-0280.

miles and smiles and riverchica like this.
  20. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I finally got through at about 2 hrs 15 minutes on the second call in. The agent said it's been this bad for about the last 3 weeks. I asked for the best number if I needed to call back, and the agent gave me OnePass International number: 1-800-344-1411. Here's to hoping that that number can help someone else out, and to hoping that I don't have to call back ever again.

miles and smiles and riverchica like this.
  21. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jeez. Glad you finally got through!
    I tried that number a couple of times today but it just rang and rang without ever picking up.

22. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not necessarily. I've had similar situations happen to me on Star awards booked through UA and CO, and in each case, I got the partner airline to open up inventory on the flights I wanted as reaccomodation.

The key to this is to have the CO agent contact the Star Alliance desk, who in turn can contact their counterparts at the operating airline (every Star carrier has a Star Alliance support desk with agents dedicated to addressing alliance issues such as these) to request that a seat be opened in the needed award booking class. It's cumbersome and time consuming to do this, and success is no guarantee, therefore the OP should expect some degree of pushback from CO at first.

Flyer1976 likes this.