Ack... Denied!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by gconnery, Mar 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, on Friday I did my latest AOR. Four months since my last. Was skipping Chase this time to focus on others, try to leave 6 months between my Chase applications. But then... on Monday I decided I had to go for the Chase Southwest Business card since the 50,000 points offer was going to go away (apparently) and I wanted to hit the companion pass this year. I'd stupidly not applied for both Southwest cards at the same time in December.

Anyway, of course all the credit inquiries had hit my account by the time I applied on Monday, even though oddly my Experian score hadn't changed yet, and so after I got pending I called into the recon line and they denied me for too many inquiries.

Crap. Wondering if I should bother trying again and seeing if the next person at Chase feels any differently. Good credit, pay all my bills on time every month, etc. But yup I've applied for like 12 or more cards in the last year, and 4 more on Friday. So to the extent that they can see that I feel like I'm just wasting my time. I can move lots of credit around from other Chase cards, but the person I talked to said that wouldn't help if the reason was too many inquiries.

Any suggestions? Try calling again once or twice? Wait 3 months and try again if the offer comes around again?

2. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ask them to move credit line from one card to the SW card.

3. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never take the first 2 NO's as gospel. Hang up, call back.

4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the thread title I thought you had a run in with Suze Orman! Good luck on recon!

thepointstraveler likes this.
  5. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    The rep I spoke to said moving credit around wouldn't help since I was denied due to too many recent inquiries. Oh well, stealing myself for the next call...

6. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Call again and try a different rep.

7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, good news! Was approved on a second call after shifting some credit around from a personal card. The rep did have notes about the previous call, but for whatever reason ignored the concerns the first person had. Asked a lot of questions, to which I gave truthful answers. I assume my high 700's credit score helped. He was concerned about the number of cards I had--think he counted up 12 or 13. I said I had cancelled some (true) and they may not have been reflected in his report. Suspect he might have been thinking I cancelled more than I actually did but he didn't ask and I didn't clarify. Anyway, wasn't looking forward to it and wasn't sure how it would go, but it all worked out in the end. Thanks to all the advice/support I got!

traveler and TravelBear like this.