AccountNow suspending accounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by andhoova, Jul 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    Account Now 2562.85 AccountNow has suspended my account and refuses to refund my $2000.00 unless I send copies of my ID, social security card and a utility bill. I've been loading the account with ReloadIT cards and paying bills for several months.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Has anyone successfully had their money refunded?

2. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to follow-up. I spoke the the Bancorp fraud department who told me my account is being audited and that I have to supply all of that information in order to get the account reinstated.

If I refuse to send in the info they will send me a refund check however there is no timeframe on when it will be sent and there will be no way for me to check the status of the refund. I guess I'll send the info.

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it matches and it's legit, why not? They have access to this information anyway - they just want to make sure you do.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even when you send in the info, they will likely close your account anyhow, as they did with mine. It took me over a month from when they closed my account to when I got my check. Ridiculously poor customer service, but sometimes that's the price to pay for playing this game.

5. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't particularly want to we d copies of my ID, social security card and other info to a shady company. Plus emailing and faxing that info is extremely insecure

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    How did you send the info, email or fax? And do they call you after you sent it or did you have to follow up with them to confirm they received it and get the status of your account?

7. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I faxed everything, and they were 'supposed' to have reviewed my case within 2 business days, but it ended up being 2 business weeks, and me calling 2-3 times to get the same answer..."we got your fax, but we're not ready to tell you yet". It then took another 3 weeks to get the check after they finally called me and said "we decided to keep your account closed", end of story.

8. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. I don't care if they close my account but I want my money. And I do not want to forward all of that info to a shady company like this!!

9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I don't understand the context of shady. Able to trust them with thousands of dollars, multiple government agencies have oversight (including FDIC insured accounts)... but can't have your personal info?

From their website:

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

What happens if you don't have a driver's license (or state ID)? I assume it's still not mandatory for US citizens to have one?

icurhere2 likes this.
  11. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shady in that context (to me) is essentially simply horrific customer service which gives off the implication of holding funds for an undocumented period of time while they use those funds for overnight CD's, or otherwise using them as means to generate income, while withholding cash from a consumer who is most likely (minus us milepointers) going to need quick access to the cash if a 'shutdown' occurs. I doubt that the typical consumer of these debit cards is of moderate or better means, and certainly can't play the float. Withholding money for a month would do serious damage if you really needed it.

12. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's a shady company, why are you doing any business with them in the first place?

icurhere2 likes this.
  13. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not mandatory, but almost everyone has them, even if they don't drive (I have one, and I haven't driven a car in years). Driver's licenses are a de facto national ID card in the US.

14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not, yet, but some of the voter ID laws may actually put procedural requirements in place such that states have to issue state IDs, not necessarily driver licenses, but actual state ID cards for free if voting is actually a right and ID is required. The de facto national ID is a passport, also not required for anyone. The only idea I know is required for everyone is an appropriately stamped or issued birth certificate or some reasonable accommodation thereof.

Point of fact, state ID cards issued by Texas no longer have an expiration date. There is no renewal, and hence no renewal fee.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

I have one, but that doesn't mean that I am necessarily interested and willing to fax or email copies of it around the world (yes, world... who knows where their customer "service" folks reside).

If an ID and a social security card and a utility bill (I have none; all in my wife's name, now that I think about it) are a prerequisite for the account, ask for it upfront, not after it has been funded with $XXXX.

icurhere2 likes this.
  16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except it for whatever reason, this review and request was triggered by a fraud alert.

For some reason, they eat or have reason to believe the account is falsely backstopped or they're worried that they're paying more out in rewards than they're getting from the account holder and simply want to terminate the account for a reason they're not otherwise accountable for.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  17. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not familiar with AccountNow, but what you're describing is the exact copy of the classic PayPal Scam. PayPal has done it to thousands of people in exactly the same sequence, so you can use the experience of those who have been there before you. http://www.paypalsucks.com/

The payment processor will likely keep your funds for 180 days, regardless of what personal information you give them. However, if you do provide them with any personal info that was not required to make the original transaction, they will use it as leverage against you. Also keep in mind that payment processors go out of business periodically, and your info is part of their assets to be liquidated, i.e. sold to the highest bidder. So make sure you don't make your situation worse by giving in to blackmail.

uggboy likes this.
  18. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't believe people are attempting the defend AccountNow / Bancorp when they are freezing people funds. With regard to the message @MikeReed posted from their website, "When you open a card account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see a copy of your driver’s license or other identifying documents."
    The important part of that statement is, "When you open a card account". That disclaimer does not say anything about freezing funds for an unspecified amount of time months after your account was opened.

I sent the following email to Bancop at 12:05 and received a message stating that my account was unblocked at 12:50.
    "In compliance with your "Audit" I have attached a copy of my government issued photo ID as well as a utility bill. I consider these copies Personally Identifiable Information (PII) and I EXPECT them to be treated as such. Additionally, I consider fax and email as insecure communication methods, as such I will not be supplying a copy of my social security card as my SSN was submitted when I initially applied for this account.

As I primarily use this account for bill pay, these bills will soon become delinquent because you all have frozen the funds I have available to pay them. If I experience any financial hardship from this I will look to Bancorp/AccountNow for compensation due to the extended freezing of my funds. I do understand and respect the requirements to conduct audits of accounts to prevent unlawful usage. With that said I have used my account in total compliance with your terms and conditions. I do not see where the terms and conditions state that random audits are conducted or where they state that funds can/will be frozen for an unspecified amount of time.
    I have submitted a claim to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) regarding the freezing of the $2562.85 that is currently held in my Account Now account. I would like my funds returned to me ASAP.
    Please contact me acknowledging receipt of these documents and my request to have my funds immediately returned.

12:50
    Thank you for sending your documents, Bancorp has reviewed them and concluded our investigation. Your account has been unblocked and notes placed on the account.

19. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well obviously had I known that they were shady from the beginning i wouldn't have opened the account in the first place.