Account with a lot of Starpoints gives more upgrades?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Philippe, Dec 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Philippe

Philippe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious to know your experience about being giving more upgrades with high numbers of Starpoints in your account? Do you think it affect the upgrade process?

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had comments from checkin personnelab whenout having a lot of points when receiving an upgrade. I don't really have all that many starpoints. I just considered it some sort of odd flattery - didn't really evaluate it as influencing the upgrade.

3. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Recently I have noticed the same thing (staff mentioning how many Starpoints I have when checking in) but I thought that was because they are trying to upsell me things that cost (too many) Starpoints: massages, tours, transfers, etc. :p

canucklehead likes this.
  4. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    For purposes of this discussion, what would people consider to be a lot of points? I just passed 100K points in my account for the first time.

5. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    SPG provides some listing to the hotels about suggested upgrade priority order. Exact specifics aren't published, but it wouldn't be surprising to see something related to revenue/frequency (both of which would contribute to more starpoints).
    However I wouldn't attribute upgrades to your points balance.

SC Flier, Toula and TAHKUCT like this.
  6. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    A lot of points for this crowd is probably more than 100k...;) As to the listing and or computer's display info about your points to the staff- I remember a couple of years ago reading a thread on FT about them being able to see your lifetime totals, or perhaps it was that lifetime totals were used in calculating the suggested order in the listing okrogius mentions. The author was wondering why the clerk knew he had had (in the past) a couple of million points.

Just to fuel speculation, while I have around 50k in the account now, I have moved a couple of million through it over the years, but I haven't spent 100s of nights a year like many here do who have less than stellar upgrade success. My success rate for the 3 years I've been platinum (25-50 nights a year) has been well above 95%, and I usually stay in places that are quite busy. So maybe there's a kernel of truth to that speculation. Just my purely unscientific observation.

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    My personal experience easily debunks that theory.:)
    Since most of my stays are personal/vacation and I also qualify as HH Diamond I havent got a lot of points in my account, never had lots run through it and I barely make Plat each year ( a few years, only with the aid of double stay promos) yet my upgraded percentage has got to be nearly 90%.
    My stay pattern are mainly domestic Ws and Luxury Collection properties overseas arguably some of the most difficult properties to score upgrades..

It seems to me that the ability of FD personnel to see your point totals (which surfaced say two or so years ago) was shortly before SPG rolled it out its visibity to all members on-line..