Accommodation in Venice

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by IPG, Jul 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. IPG

IPG Active Member

Status Points:
    Doing a two week trip to Europe end of Sept/early Oct. We have tentatively planned 3 nights in Venice. Would be great to hear about suggestions for accommodation.

A quick rundown of potential point redemptions:
    SPG 60,000
    Club Carlson 200,000
    HIlton 400,000
    UR: 40,000

I am completely open to paying for something as well. I am also open to something like airbnb.com.

Is it a rather expensive city? Would 3 nights be too much? I tend to be a rather active traveler...photography is a big interest, and I love to eat my way through new places. Athens/Mykonos, London, Paris are also tentatively scheduled for this trip.

I look forward to any suggestions!

Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Venice is expensive, even very expensive, crowded, hot, humid, and touristic. A lot of places in the center seem to be real tourist traps, including the restaurants. Nevertheless, the place is special. Later in the September-October period is likely to be better.

uggboy likes this.
  3. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I found Venice mildly depressing. It seemed that the only folks in town were tourists or those seeking to profit from them and, on the whole, the town felt dead. Compare that to Rome, which seems alive and vibrant. I was particularly annoyed with the differential prices on local transport. The locals pay a very sane rate. Tourists pay dearly. Left to my own devices, I'd skip it entirely.

If you decide to go: I had zero luck using Priceline in Venice (unlike, for instance, Amsterdam). Instead I rented an apartment for three days. Checking in was not especially easy, and there was no meaningful support if we had questions, but it worked out okay. Airbnb or the like might well be your best bet there.

4. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last year stayed at Anthony's Hotel, about a 15 minute bus ride from center of city. Bus fare was about 2 Euros and room was about $125 US plus tax. Nice clean and wonderful breakfast included, but stIll a bus ride away, the bus line also serves the airport. There were restaurants to walk to and nothing but locals, English spoken very little except at hotel check in.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look at the Best Western options in Venice. I had very good luck with them, though that was probably 10 years ago now. :oops:

6. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We stay at the Hotel Danieli. Expensive but an SPG property I believe and located right next to St Marks Square. Interesting history as well..

7. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had stayed at a Best Western Property right next to St. Mark's Square about 10 years ago as well. Unfortunately, the prices have increased substantially since then. I did find a fairly reasonable hotel (double w/ private bath 126 -140 Euro) a few blocks from St. Mark's in 2008 (http://www.locandasilva.it/). The Locanda Silva is a small family run hotel. It has no lift, but the rooms were clean and the hotel was well located.

If you want to use points, the SPG is your best bet. Have you (re)qualified for gold/platinum yet? If so, there is a (re)qualification gift of 25%/35% off of a Cat 1-6 award booking. It must be used within 6 months of claiming your gift. The Westin Europa & Regina is a Cat 6 property. I would also look to see if points + cash is available.

We got a vaporetto pass, and it wasn't too bad cost wise. Gondola rides are very expensive, so we always pass on that. Murano is very interesting and I would definitely schedule one day to go out to these islands.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  8. davythefatboy

davythefatboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    We usually stay at the Gritti Palace Hotel on points. Well located and comfortable, although breakfast is very pricey (on the other hand, breakfast on the Grand Canal is rather wonderful in good weather). Venice is obviously very touristy, but an amazing and interesting place. Don't just stay in the dead center. This year we took a rowing lesson from rowvenice.org. A very unique view of the city and a lot of fun.

9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's an extremely expensive city as you'll no doubt find out, both accommodation and food. It's not one of Italy's star eating cities, either -- a really good meal will cost you. It is, however, an obviously brilliant destination for photography, and a city where you will walk, walk, walk.

As for the length of time, different people will have different opinions. Personally, I could probably visit Venice for two weeks every year. For me, three nights is the absolute bare minimum -- I would say three full days would be better.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  10. IPG

IPG Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the advice. I certainly appreciate it. Been trying to work Venice in and it just didn't make the cut. Maybe next time!

11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had a VERY enjoyable & reasonable rate (includes a good breakfast) at Hotel La Fenice Et Des Artistes
    www.fenicehotels.com This was during the off-season (Nov) and rates were quite cheap I thought.

On the flip side we also stayed at the Westin Europa & Regina, if you look at a photo of the hotel, we were upgraded to the room with the best of the two full/huge balconies the hotel has, right on the Grand Canal, simply spectacular. This said, I don't think I would have been happy spending the $ nor the points to stay in a western chain hotel while in Venice, it is a city that is VERY rewarding to those who get off the typical tourist track.

uggboy likes this.