Accident experiences

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by Sweet Willie, Mar 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    National sends me a copy of the invoice they are sending my insurance company due to an accident that was not my fault, I of course filed a police report.

some pretty amazing fees on the invoice/claim:

Administration Fee $150
    Loss of Use Fee 7.5 days at $23.25 per day
    Diminishment of Value $253.23

milchap and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm surprised they didn't include "Loss of consortium".

rkt10, Sweet Willie and Morgan like this.
  3. Morgan
    Original Member

Morgan Silver Member

Status Points:
    It will be interesting to see if your personal insurance (and/or the at-fault driver's insurance) covers those fees and, if not, if National attempts to collect from you. My policy explicitly excludes them.

After a $3,200 bill from Avis for a fender bender (of which $1,000 consisted of miscellaneous fees such as those you listed), my business partner and I decided to suck it up and always get the LDW. It is unfair. It is a rip-off. But we never, ever want to go through that experience again.

This is actually why we wound up switching our business to National. They offer discounted LDW to small businesses through their Business Benefits Program. Avis doesn't.

2soonold likes this.
  4. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had several accidents with Avis, but never paid a dime. I think this may partly due to being a Presidents Club member and partly due to Amex covering me.

5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes, I'm waiting for the 'fall out'
    good to know & same here, so I'll be interested to see, I've never had a rental car claim before.

6. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should disclose that my Amex is Centurion. There are a lot of reasons to have a Centurion card, but for me the top reason has always been that Amex reps say "Yes Sir" instead of "Sorry Sir".

rkt10 and jackal like this.
  7. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty standard across the rental industry--nothing amazing to me about those fees.

8. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dunno - sounds like there's about $600 worth of "consortium" there.

gomike and Gargoyle like this.
  9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    might be standard, personally I still find it amazing. I'm set to fight the loss of use charge as they had cars each day supposedly they are charging me for.

gomike likes this.
  10. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, so if you want to keep the car another week, the rental agency should let you keep it for free because they had extra cars on the lot each day? ;)

11. Morgan
    Original Member

Morgan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow. I've never seen it explained that way, but it makes a little more sense. (Doesn't mean I have to like it, though. Hehe.)

In the case of our accident, the local licensee included a letter along with their invoice explaining that they were permitted by state law to recover loss of use charges regardless of utilization. Neither Amex nor the personal policy in question would cover the expense without fleet utilization logs showing that there was demand for the car. The agency, as a matter of policy, doesn't provide this.

We didn't realize how many holes there were in the personal auto policy and the coverage offered by Amex until we actually had need to file a claim.

jackal likes this.
  12. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is Exhibit One why the coverage offered by the rental agencies has value not just for uninsured people but even those with other forms of coverage.

Whether it has enough value to you (as in the reader of this post, not just Morgan) to outweigh the cost is a determination you have to make for your own risk tolerance levels, but blanket statements like "IT'S WORTHLESS" are quite false (not that those have appeared here; just making this observation).

I wish it were far less expensive (it's about $10 a day in the New York and L.A. markets, which seems to me to be a much fairer price), but at any cost, it's something you (the reader) should at consider carefully before declining.

13. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a similar experience. I was hit in a National rental and ended up paying $228 out of my own pocket for their fees. State Farm (my insurance company as well the the insurer for the person who hit me) didn't pay these fees and they were left to me. I made plenty of calls but nothing came of it. Since it was a long rental, I would have paid more for the LDW than the $228 but it still makes me unhappy that I had to pay for someone's carelessness. I would have been much happier had her insurance paid it as the accident was 100% her fault.

14. Morgan
    Original Member

Morgan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know I alluded to this up-thread, but it might be helpful to elaborate:

Small business owners who sign up for National's Business Benefits Program automatically get LDW for $9.99 a day in all markets. You just have to choose Option C for your company during the online sign-up. They also throw in business liability insurance and a 20% discount off the lowest published rate. There's also a corporate rewards program wherein our company gets a free rental day for every certain number of rental days on the contract.

The entire program is really slick. You get your own contract ID and a special link for all employees to sign up for no-cost Emerald Club memberships. The liability insurance doesn't apply to leisure rentals, but there are no restrictions listed for employees who wish to utilize the reduced LDW and corporate rates for personal travel.

After adding in the cost of LDW, National wound up being much cheaper than the rates offered by Avis and Hertz's small biz programs. I was told that the other guys don't give you a break on insurance until you're big enough to have an individually-negotiated contract. Insofar as I'm aware, National doesn't have any minimum volume requirements to participate. You just have to be a small business.

bigx0 and jackal like this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if anyone has taken the insurer or the other driver to small claims court over these charges. It seems completely unfair to have the innocent party be stuck with it.

Does anyone know if credit cards that offer primary rental car insurance cover these costs? I am thinking specifically of the CO OnePass Plus MasterCard.

16. Morgan
    Original Member

Morgan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no background in the insurance business, but I can take a guess as to why Admin/LOU/DV charges tend to be explicitly excluded from credit card and personal auto policies. Any claims analyst knows (or can easily find out) how much it should cost to fix, say, a dent in a Chevy Cobalt side panel. But fees tacked onto the actual cost of repairs tend to be pretty arbitrary and, thus, difficult to model from an actuarial perspective.

17. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    just a follow up, (I should have posted awhile ago). Amex was terrific, everything was taken care of, no $ out of my own pocket besides original premium charged.

18. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in an accident (well, I caused it) with a Hertz rental a few years ago. Their fees were about $500 as I recall, and I think I paid them. However, the insurance company paid a lot less than Hertz estimated for some of the repairs and Hertz came after me for that difference. Hertz said my adjuster was wrong, because Hertz cars are rented to the public and have to be repaired to a higher standard.than a family car (??) and that costs more. Why did Hertz come to me instead of my insurance company for money? I just called Wawanesa and they said Hertz does that all the time and they paid the extra money and everybody went home.

19. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you have Amex's premium car rental protection for $25?

20. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes. I like the flat rate, especially as my personal auto insurance does not cover rentals.