Access in Subways/Metros Around the World

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by JSpira, Nov 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    A study conducted by the New Cities Foundation, a Swiss non-profit institution, showed that 60% of subway or metro systems worldwide offer Internet access.

Availability doesn´t really equate to usage so a colleague and I launched an informal poll to see how many people actually know about and/or use Internet or data services when in a subway/metro/underground.

If you have a moment to take the one-question poll, it would be appreciated - it´s online here.

2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Done.

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

JSpira likes this.
  3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I unfortunately did not try any data services, but I know that Moscow had cell phone reception in most parts, even some of the deepest.

4. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Singapore, the 3G reception in most of the below ground tracks has been getting better recently compared to, say, a year ago. In Hong Kong, it worked everywhere I tried too.

lwkatya likes this.
  5. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, NYC, is simply abysmal :( Service? Did you say service? Essentially no progress whatsoever in the entire last decade! Maybe soon? :)

canucklehead likes this.
  6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    and even though they will be offering limited service in select stops, it will not be for all wireless carriers and their subscribers! It will take 2 yrs of testing the system in a few stops, and 4 yrs for all 277 stops to be 'wired' for use - so probably around the time the Second Ave subway line gets completed!

doc likes this.