AC YWG call centre to close

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by ACMM, Oct 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Link

Air Canada has set a date for the closure of its Winnipeg call centre.

The airline has informed its employees the call centre will cease operations in just more than two years.

The 76 workers and the union that represents them -- Unifor -- have known since last fall the centre would be wound down over time due to changing technology. But they hadn't been given a specific date for the closure.

In an email sent to the Free Press on Thursday, and in a letter earlier this week to the workers, the airline said that date has now been set -- Dec. 31, 2016.

... more at the link above...

YULtide and londoncalling like this.
  2. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to see AC reducing overheads in a constructive manner and not having union flareups.

ACMM likes this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed ... from the article ...

In the Oct. 14 letter to the workers, which was obtained by the Free Press, Air Canada's director of call centres and customer relations said the company is committed to protecting all of them.

"That is, the closure of the Winnipeg Call Centre will NOT result in any layoffs," Michael Tremblay wrote.

YULtide likes this.
  4. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to admit that I was surprised when this was first announced about a year ago. I would have thought that Winnipeg would be a fairly low cost and stable place to host a call centre.

YULtide likes this.