AC Website Down

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by The Winger, Apr 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. The Winger
    Original Member

The Winger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Message I am getting says "the website declined to show this webpage"

Guess I'll go drink beer instead, and book the ticket tomorrow.

2. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Page not found ... I guess I'll need to check in at the airport.

The mobile web site works, though!

3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    All those rebookings today crashed the server. ;)

4. It is still down

5. The Winger
    Original Member

The Winger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like I need to quit wasting my time trying to book tickets today, and go and drink some more beer!

Today it will let me choose flights but then hangs, it's really about time to do something about this terrible website........ I have tried with 2 different browers also.

YULtide likes this.
  6. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, today the AE website is down, saying that they are making "exciting changes". Who knows quite what tomorrow will bring, neh?

I burned off nearly all my accumulated points on a sixteen-segment circular tour of the East Coast and West Coast (of North America) this past autumn, most of it in J. I reckoned, at the time, that there was a fairly good chance that the redemption costs would go way, way up after the end of 2013, since we've seen that happen before and all the bits and snippets of news releases seemed (to me at least) to point that way.

Tomorrow morning I am off on my first three of roughly a hundred segments for the year. Come November 2014, I shall start looking at the 'dashboard' page again; until then, it's not likely to be terribly useful. Have booked most of my short-haul flights on Tango fares, saving the Flex for transcontinental journeys; might as well save the money where I can.

In the end, I stick with Air Canada because of their safety record, and to a lesser extent because of the generally-functional end-to-end connectivity of their network.

Have a great, and safe, New Year's Eve!

Elane
    the dozing grandmother in 1D, with the scotch-in-coffee at hand. ^_^

tomh009 and YULtide like this.
  7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The AC web site sure doesn't look much different today.

Still lots of banner ads for the 787, all the things we dreamed about dreaded, like 9-across seating on an A330-width aircraft ... :eek:

YULtide likes this.
  8. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aeroplan website working again, with the usual superfine :rolleyes: fee rates. Market rates for YYZ-LHR two tickets in April are 118,000 for the AC flights with all the fees, YQ, taxes, and other goodies totalling over $1,300 for the two tix. Classic rates at 120,000 for the same dates bring up the UA flights via EWR, ORD, or IAD, but the total extras for those flights come to under $600 total for the two tix.

9. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    lol...time for a class action suit on AC flight fees!

10. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    It dawns on me that what Aeroplan is really offering is a chance to snag a discounted air-fare, not a free ticket at all. Once I've made that conceptual reframing inside my head, it's easier to understand how to use Aeroplan.

[edit to add]

Rationally, accumulation of 'miles' is a game with declining payback. We've never, thus far, encountered a situation wherein 'reward' tickets became easier to obtain over time -- barring the special case in which one advances in 'status' and finds oneself able to use the IKK facility.

About four years ago, already, I stopped worrying about accumulation of miles and focussed solely on segments. That makes good sense for those of us whose travel is, by and large, short-haul, and it also makes sense for those of us who mostly travel in aircraft which offer single-class seating. (PY vs. Y might eventually offer an exception to that notion).

I look at SE status as offering some hope (at least) of better treatment during IRROPS. That was certainly my experience during the December 20th tangle, which so many of us recently experienced for good or for ill. The concierges got me home, basically -- that certainly beat spending the night in YEG, where I have not lived for years and where I know of nobody whose couch I'd have been able to borrow that evening.

My apologies for once again drifting off the thread. Must be a grandmother thing, ayuh?

Be well, stay warm,

Elane

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    slalom, tomh009 and YULtide like this.