AC VOTED BEST AIRLINE IN NA

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by guinnessxyz, Dec 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Annual readership surveys rank Air Canada Best in North America
    MONTREAL, Dec. 12, 2012 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada has once again been named best airline in North America by frequent travelers. In annual readership surveys conducted in 2012 by U.S. travel magazines, Business Traveler, Global Traveler and Premier Traveler, readers named Air Canada as their favourite airline in North America overall, as well as tops for international travel and in-flight service:
    "Best Airline in North America" - Global Traveler magazine
    "Best North American Airline for International Travel" and "Best North American Airline Inflight Experience" - Business Traveler magazine
    "Best North American Airline for Business-Class Service," "Best North American Airline for International Travel" and "Best Flight Attendants in North America" - Premier Traveler magazine
    "Air Canada is very pleased to once again be recognized by discerning, frequent travelers who have the widest experience of different airlines to draw upon. It is especially meaningful to win awards for our international travel experience that has been a primary focus at Air Canada and encouraging to see the recognition of our Toronto hub as a convenient connection point by U.S. and international travellers. These awards show that our customers appreciate the amenities and service we offer, from lie-flat suites in Executive First international service, to complimentary seatback entertainment available throughout our fleet at every seat. Most importantly, they recognize the professionalism and dedication of Air Canada's 27,000 employees who work hard every day to win the loyalty of our customers," said Ben Smith, Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer at Air Canada.
    In 2012, for the third consecutive year, Air Canada was also ranked as "Best International Airline in North America" in a worldwide survey of more than 18 million airline passengers conducted by independent research firm Skytrax. More information on the Skytrax World Airline Awards is available at www.worldairlineawards.com.
    The results of Global Traveler's ninth annual GT Tested Reader Survey are available at:
    http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/12/prweb10192683.htm
    Results of Business Traveler's 24th annual readership survey can be found at:
    http://www.businesstravelerusa.com/archive/december-2012-january-2013/special-reports/2012-worlda-s-best-in-business-travel
    The results of Premier Traveler's first annual readership survey are listed at: http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/premier-traveler-magazine-best-of-2012-awards-gala-at-sofitel-los-angeles-1724290.htm
    Air Canada offers all customers personal entertainment systems at each seat, fleet-wide on North American and international routes. Amenities include digital in-seat monitors with touch-screen controls offering hundreds of hours of complimentary audio and video on-demand programming, standard in-seat power within reach of every customer, lie-flat beds in Executive First suites, Air Canada's international business class service, access for eligible customers to its Maple Leaf Lounges and the ability to collect and redeem Aeroplan miles.
    In addition, Air Canada customers benefit from a simplified airport experience for connecting between U.S.-Canada transborder flights and either domestic Canada or international overseas flights world wide, via new facilities all under one roof at its main Toronto hub.
    Air Canada is Canada's largest domestic and international airline serving more than 175 destinations on five continents. Canada's flag carrier is the 15th largest commercial airline in the world and in 2011 served more than 33 million customers. Air Canada provides scheduled passenger service directly to 59 Canadian cities, 56 destinations in the United States and 63 cities in Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Australia, the Caribbean, Mexico and South America. Air Canada is a founding member of Star Alliance, the world's most comprehensive air transportation network serving 1,290 destinations in 189 countries.
    SOURCE: AIR CANADA

maradori and LETTERBOY like this.
  2. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gee, it is like Groundhog Day...all over again! Shouldn't that be:"least offensive from a bad bunch"?

milchap likes this.
  3. You have your choice of airlines.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. rabu

rabu Silver Member

Status Points:
    how did Aeroplan - the winner of many 2010, and 2011 Fr.Flyer Awards - rank in 2012?

5. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Air Canada's product is pretty darned good. It's the pricing that I have a problem with. :)

I can consistently get lower fares to US destinations, even from little old YQR, than I can flying Air Canada (which involves connecting through a different Canadian airport, so usually means a longer ride).

On our tentative Australian vacation for 2012, United's fares have been bouncing around the $1,950-$2,200 range return, and Air Canada's are consistently in the $3,400 range with a brief "seat sale" of sorts down to $3,100. The current Air Canada 777 product is better than United's 747-400, but if United installs WiFi and power outlets this year, that gap is arguably gone.

YULtide, tomh009 and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. Should you not be wondering why AC is running pretty full loads at higher fares as opposed to UA who can't seem to fill their planes w/o serious discounts.

PhotoJim and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    On our recent YEG-HKG jaunt we opted for UA via SFO at $1900 all in for two versus AC via YVR at $4200 all in for two (T+) (They were offering Tango for $2400, but I really needed the full mileage to get to Elite 50K). I have to say that the 747s we flew were very tired-looking, and the on-board service was significantly inferior to our usual AC experience. No AVOD, inferior meals..... And don't get me started on the dorky, wobbly meal trays. Snack time was bizarre. Normally AC serves noodles and sandwiches for a snack mid-way. UA gave a bag of chips, a pack of pretzels and a packaged cookie. The FA quickly grabbed them in sequence with one hand filling the other hand, then handed the stack over all at once. She had a rhythm going, but it felt like Hallowe'en. Another FA was downright surly. And the worst was a 10-hour wait in SFO on the return trip, which became 12 hours with bad weather. Brutal!

In addition there was extra screening. Leaving YEG we had to go through US immigration, which took forever! On our departure from HKG we had to go through normal screening, then on the jetway were subjected to a carry-on search. I asked if this were a new procedure and was told it was required for US-flagged and US-bound flights. Then we got screened again at NRT where we had to change planes, then had to go through customs and immigration in SFO for nothing as we were in transit. Which meant having to go through security once again because by now we were outside the secure zone. None of that is in UA's control, but it's part of the package. Five extra screening procedures for one round trip.

So between poor soft product and really unfortunate scheduling, plus the extra screening, UA even at $2000 cheaper will probably send us back to AC next time. I'm glad we had the experience, but it's not one we will repeat soon.

maradori and PhotoJim like this.
  8. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Almost every UA flight I've been on the last two or three years has been full or nearly so. One early morning flight YQR-DEN was about 2/3 full, and a Continental ORD-FLL weekday flight was fairly empty. Every other one I've been really struggling to even find an empty seat.

I've flown about 20 segments on UA or UAX metal the last three years - probably more - so it's a decent sample.

9. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have Global Entry so US Customs is pretty much a non-issue, but I agree, if Air Canada were even close to United's fares I'd prefer AC. It'd be one fewer stop too. (I can fly YQR-YVR-SYD on a Friday night and be in Sydney Sunday morning. I'd have to leave on United on Saturday, if I work all day Friday.)

Still, for a grand and a half I'm willing to put up with a lot of discomfort. I can stick an extra $50 a night into my hotels for a month (since we're paying two air fares) and have a much better vacation as a result.

I'm not sure what the price gap would be for me to prefer Air Canada. $300 maybe? Not $500. (I also feel a certain loyalty to United, even though I'm in AC's FF plan, because United has given YQR 3 daily flights DEN/DEN/YQR. I appreciate them giving them to us. Air Canada hasn't given us any new destinations in years (other than to restore service to YOW).

One thing I'll say in favour of Air Canada, we may only get E75s and E90s here but they are comfortable and clean. They're a really nice ride to YYZ, but that's the only route on which we get them.

YULtide likes this.
  10. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, there's always the question of where you put the cash for the greatest benefit, and a better meal on the ground or a nicer environment to sleep is definitely of value. For us, we wouldn't have changed details at the final destination if we spent more on airfare.

Of course, we also had the unfortunate comparison a day after arriving at HKG of flying TG in J, which only heightened (if that's the right word) the experience of UA. It was like moving from a third-world airline to a first-world one.

tomh009 likes this.
  11. Here's a sample flight on AC from YYZ to SYD on a two week return in Tango. I get your price range in T+ but thye are competitive with UA on real low end pricing. YQR/SYD pricing for the same dates are similar.

Flight
    From
    To Date Depart Arrive Stops Duration Aircraft Fare Type Meal Service
    AC033
    Toronto, Pearson Int'l (YYZ)
    Terminal 1
    Sydney, Kingsford Smith (SYD)
    Terminal 1 Sat Jan-26 20:20 10:20
    +2 days 1 /YVR1 22hr00 77L Tango, N
    F,M,B

AC033: Check-in for this flight is in the domestic terminal, even though it is an international flight.

AC033 : This flight includes a stop in Vancouver, where passengers may be required to disembark from the plane.
    AC034
    Sydney, Kingsford Smith (SYD)
    Terminal 1
    Toronto, Pearson Int'l (YYZ)
    Terminal 1 Sun Feb-10 12:15 16:20 1 /YVR1 20hr05 77L Tango, G
    M,B,F

AC034 : This flight includes a stop in Vancouver, where passengers will need to claim any checked baggage and clear Customs & Immigration.
    B: Breakfast M: Meal (Non Specific)
    F: Food for purchase onboard
    All Onboard Café purchases made on board Air Canada flights are payable only with Visa, MasterCard and American Express credit cards.
    AC033, AC034: Complimentary snack and meal item offered on the domestic portion of the flight(s).

Stopover:
    1 Vancouver (YVR)
    Review final quote details Start a new search
    Fare Summary​
    Total charge for 1 adult
    Base Fare 1470.00
    Taxes, fees, charges and surcharges 879

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    My travel dates are in September-October 2013, and I can get one of the tickets as an Aeroplan reward right now (and only United is available at that time). Air Canada is a lot more competitive on closer-in tickets.

United can be a few bucks more since they provide 100% status miles. A YQR-MEL run is almost enough for Prestige/*S silver status all by itself.

13. You would have to make sure you have some AC flights as well as the UA ones to get any status. I'm not sure I would chase prestige status in return for a better plane ride and more direct routing.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    And money saved, too. It's only marginally slower to fly through DEN/LAX. And I'll pick up enough segments on AC to qualify for status so that won't be a problem.

YULtide and LETTERBOY like this.
  15. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    How many airlines in the USA? How many in Canada? What are my choices YVR-YYZ? LAX-NYC?

16. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No cabotage allowed, so not many choices within Canada. But transborder there are plenty.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  17. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you misunderstood my point to the OP. What choices does the traveller have within Canada? vs. the US? No kidding AC has full flights since the only choice is AC or WJ. Compare that to the US flyer who has a variety of choices usually, so unless they are beholden to UA they don't have to fly them.

18. Competition would only make planes even more full as is being proved at many Canadian regional airports where new competition has appeared. Prices my be a little lower but very full or rightly sized planes make up the fare difference in terms of revenue and profits. For instance, using YSB as a yardstick overall traffic is up by 50% since Porter started flying there and AC has maintained their load factors using more or less the same capacity as before and a charter carrier has also started flights from there.
    In YSB the highway is a prime competitor

LETTERBOY likes this.
  19. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, smaller countries will have fewer airlines than the big ones. That's just reality. How would you like to change that? Government subsidies? Something else? It's difficult to enter the airline business, and even more difficult to stay afloat as a small airline (we have enough wrecks in Canada as well to prove that).

LETTERBOY and guinnessxyz like this.
  20. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah ok. Not sure why you are beating this to death? I was replying to a minor point - it being: less seats available here in Canada than in the US. Therefore, more likely to be a filled plane YVR - YYZ as there is little other choice, and not necessarily as OP wants us to believe, because AC is such a wonderful option and so well run. But whatever...:rolleyes:

21. Just come up with facts about "well run". You make statements you cannot back up and tom009 is saying the same thing to you. The old addage of "put up or shut up" sometimes applies;) and I would say you need to be in the latter.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  22. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    AC is a decent enough airline, but if planes are full, it is because we can only fly them or WJ - there are no other options. None if we want J. To me that fact is not a reflection of any "Best Airline in North America" policies. If you think the pig looks great because it wears lipstick, then good for you. With all your important AC connections, and inside knowledge you obviously have far more invested in that notion than I do.

23. Again you blame the fact there is no competition for your unhappiness with AC. That is some logic.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  24. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I said BIS is not an indicator of customer satisfaction, nor of management competence (as you imply), given the lack of competition on domestic routes. I suspect even Aeroflot was able to show high domestic BIS numbers in the Soviet era.

25. No, you compared it to a lack of competition. You also imply management incompetence w/o one piece of evidence or fact. Loser!!!