AC to unveil new J class on newly arrived 777's

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by guinnessxyz, Jan 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Ac is installing new J seats on 3 new 777's. The new lanes will be put into service on YYZ or YUL/ CDG routes for now.
    The seats will be like the ones on LX, will be confined to the very front cabin and will host 36 seats a drop of 6 from current J config.
    Rumour is that the mini cabin that now hosts J rows 8 to 11 will be converted to premium Y seats. This will be unveiled next week I am reliably told.

My experience with LX J seats has been very positive. These J seats allow couples seating and single seats with more privacy although not as much as the current pods. These seats will be as wide as the pods and the lie flats will be 78 inches long.

It doesn't appear AC will redo other 777's and will try these out for awhile first. The 787's will possibly also have a premium Y cabin.

The premium Y seats should take some pressure of the J cabin on very long haul and popular routes as the premium Y seats, will, in my estimate probably be like domestic J although I don't know that for sure. Nor do I know what the upcharge will be for "PY" the new designation.

2. Here's what they will look like:

This is the LX J seating plan.

LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  3. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    If they are the same or similar, this indeed would be a good thing. The LX seats are excellent IMO. Though somewhat less private than the pods, you also don't feel like you are in a narrow coffin! Hopefully the padding will be a little more ample though. CX's seat is better, but this ain't bad at all!

4. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've still not done coffin class yet (doing it on DL later this year). But I find the LX seats to be very cramped. May just be that I had a "throne" seat but my feet didn't fit :(

Still always good to see companies investing in new product.

5. I'm a big enough guy, have flown several long haul segments in LX J and found there to be plenty of room, especially in an "aisle" seat and lots of working area to store stuff like computers, papers,etc.

6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience with the LX J seats is also very positive- interesting move by AC- should be quite nice I think.

guinnessxyz likes this.
  7. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    AC rep on the other board posted that this is not the seats that will be on the 787 though. So looks like we might end up with several different styles, pods, the 777 and then the 787.

I'm wondering if these aren't the premium economy seats and not the new business first?

guinnessxyz and YULtide like this.
  8. They have yet to decide on the seats they will use on the 787's although the decision is close. They really don't want to reduce the number of J seats because on premium routes to Asia they frequently sell all of the 777 seats at full J or Z fares. To me it makes sense to have different configs for different markets. The 787's will mostly be used on very long hauls so J class will be popular.

mtlfire likes this.
  9. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess that I should try another seat when I get to fly them again, because that "throne" middle seat was horrific.

10. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure you did not spend your flight in the 'lav' ? :p

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

11. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    If no decision is made, what about all those going around saying they signed NDA's and they've seen the seats? And they aren't the seats we saw leaked according to them.

YULtide likes this.
  12. They could have seen mockups of seats from various suppliers. I saw similar things in the YUL hangar when they were buying seats for the "xtreme makeover" program a few years back...and I didn't sign any NDA. Where did you see comments about signing NDA's? Sounds a bit strange to me.
    The "LX" type seats are for sure the ones going into the new 777's for their CDG route. Any other selection for the 787's is still a work in process.

13. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just like the rest of the 787. :D

YULtide and guinnessxyz like this.
  14. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oooh, the cat is back in the house! :)

YULtide likes this.
  15. Mice all go inside for the winter:D

LETTERBOY likes this.
  16. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seen it a few times on flyertalk, I think the last time in the 'Details of new int´l J seat released' thread. People claim to have seen the new seats but can't talk about it.

Granted, I could claim to have seen Big foot.

YULtide, TRAVELSIG and guinnessxyz like this.
  17. There are quite a few on TOBB who have seen Bigfoot :rolleyes: And there are the other types who like to claim they can get SE status for under any number you might mention

LETTERBOY likes this.
  18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Big foot is usually sitting in the FCT at FRA waiting for his flight to SIN with SQ in the suites on a US Airways reward ticket with miles purchased for $1000.

guinnessxyz likes this.
  19. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think we all assumed it is coming but here's my first sighting on the AC website of anything to do with Premium Economy. The image is from an upcoming AE reward ticket that I opened on AC.com using Manage My Bookings.
    [​IMG]

YULtide likes this.
  20. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sweet that they are able to fit 36 seats in the same space that now holds 24 ! Looks like a nice revenue boost for them, not to mention the extra Y+ seats that will fit it the old 2nd J section.

21. The 36 seats will be reasonably comfortable as well if they leave the way LX has them. I'm ok with that mixture and if the PY seats are like the old J seats that won't be quite as miserable and pure coach.

22. That's interesting because AFAIK there are no immediate plans to switch any of the existing fleet to PY until after the 787's arrive. The new 777's will only be used on the CDG route.

23. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    But i think it'll be "sayonara" to upgrades to J. But maybe they will allow upgrades to Y+ from Tango fares, with J upgrades only from Flex or Latitude? One can always hope...

24. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What cost for the Y+ AE tickets?

25. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had the same experience- felt like I was stuffing my feet in a box. at least the pods have open air above my toes!