AC Super Elite more generous than United 1K for intl upgrades?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by sithlord, Jun 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do realize that SE is not as great as it once was it is still better than United 1k. As a former CPer Exec Plat I feel you pain,but I like the upgrades on any fare. Would you take 1k over SE?

Kalboz and flagstaff like this.
  2. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh noooooooooooooooooooo...

Kalboz likes this.
  3. I would only take 1K over SE if AC didn't exist and then it would be after I qualified on AA, BA, CO and any other program in existence.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well let me preface with I live the usa where fares on AC to intl destinations are in fact cheaper than our us based carriers. In fact you can get ewr-yyz-hkg for sub 800 dollars.

5. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    For free upgrades on intl long hauls other than AA EP is there any competition?

6. 2lovelife
    Original Member

2lovelife Silver Member

Status Points:
    United has UDU, Unlimited Domestic Upgrades for its elites.

Air Canada has UDU, Unlimited Domestic Upgrades, but only for staff. :D:D:D
    Not to mention that there are no upgrades on AC for business class pax. On UA those SWUs are just as good for J to F. I have long said that SE is a great program for those paying to fly in the economy cabin, whereas it's a letdown for the paid business traveller. They still manage to miss the basics, unfortunatly.
    And I didn't even start on the difference in number of premium seats per plane.

Until AC drastically modifies its upgrade program, UA kicks its butt....
    To AC, unlimited domestic upgrades would be a good start... but you'd need more than that to compete internationally.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. Funny thing about that word "competitive" word. Try and get an upgrade with AC on any major route.........always full and always well sold in actual J.

The line about AC staff shows your real ignorance of the facts.

AC paid J is just that with a lie flat bed and very good service . Any airlines that sell F get many more $$$ than AC does with pure J so the comparision for that ends there. They have 39 J seats on the 333, 42 on the 777's and 24 on the 763's. They will have even more on their 787's.

Bear in mind that Canadians are not premium flyers in general, something a FF from elsewhere may not notice.

As for unlimited upgrades on AC, they have a pass program both for domestic/NA and international and, if one buys the latitude passes upgrades are pretty much a given.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying for both. After 100K, SE stops being lucrative for me. I find myself sometimes having to take LH or UA flights, and then I can upgrade those with my 1K status

Kalboz and why fly like this.
  9. There is no comparison in programs if you want upgrades, UA program is for Flyers, AC is for employees. Also UA seats are wider and longer and more comfortable with IFE that works.
    To be fair UA-CO system is going to change, so far its all been positive. Also after 10 years of cuts at AC is there really a SE program anymore?
    Parnel try to stay on topic.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    1K is great for UDUs on NAmerican flights, though UA's F is hardly in the same league as AC's J. It even pales by AA and DL standards. (You get what you pay for.) As for international, an SE should be able to upgrade almost as many flights even from T+ fares as a 1K using his/her 6 SWUs. SE would get 70 credits at the start of the year, and over the course add another 90 for a total of 160. It takes 17 to upgrade an overseas flight, so six flights would require 102. Of course, that would mean giving up upgrades on NAmerican flights. But a more accurate measure would be from buying Latitude fares, since UA's SWUs can only be used from W fares and higher, and W fares have been creeping up into the Latitude ranges, or are at least 50% more than the usual lowest coach fares that show up.

The advantage may still go to the 1K, since this year at least, we still earn 2 confirmed space NAmerican upgrade CR1 credits, so overall has a far better upgrading opportunity. Not to mention SWUs can be used on LH flights, which AC's credits cannot.

Of course, until SWUs can be used on CO metal flights, UA's business class is pretty bad, with coffin-like seats squeezed into the cabin in a sardine like fashion offering little or no personal space or privacy. 6 abreast on 767s! 8 abreast on the 777s!

That said, the best of both worlds is having SE and 1K! :)

11. You forget about the AC pass program particularly the latitude one for NA that gives upgrades w/o certs. UA has no equivalent program.

Kalboz likes this.
  12. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you happen to luck into an upgraded aircraft, otherwise it's hello 1991.

And the domestic fleet is probably the worst of the US airlines other than US. Old seats, no wi-fi, pure crap.

Kalboz and southender like this.
  13. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but not every SE (or E/P) uses passes. As for UA's equivalent, there is no need for one, as you can still buy any coach fare and as a 1K or GS be pretty much assured of the UDU upgrade clearing three or four days prior to the flight, not just within 24-hours. And AC's Latitude passes are a higher fare class than T+ or even TANGO, while UA's UDU can be from the lowest coach fare. Yes, I suppose it does encourage Bottom Feeding, but I am not giving UA several thousand dollars upfront.

Kalboz likes this.
  14. Yes but that upgrade is the last day on AC. So on UA you would upgrade 3 days before, as a 1k, on any ticket.

AC does not have an customer upgrade program???? Its a employee perk program.

Also AC has the narrowest shortest coffin seats, so you still suffer when the upgrade clears on International flights. However pick CO if you want good food... UA food is worse than AC's however CO has the best food in North America.

Kalboz likes this.
  15. AC pass upgrades are at 48 hours prior; one can still use ecerts at time of booking and switch to pass U/G.

Employee perk program is more nonsense and lies from your twisted mind and the fact you have nothing real to say; AC has strict guidelines on staff U/G and I have recently seen, on more than one flight, a GA come on board and U/G a pax from the back while a staff member went straight to the back cabin.

Funny thing that nighthawk says just the opposite about narrow seats a couple of posts above.

Kalboz likes this.
  16. True and not many Canadians travel exclusively in or through the US. My NA pass is a great product in that I can travel to all of NA, most of the Caribbean and Mexico on a one price pass and be in J. I also use it to places like YYC,YMM and IAH where fares are generally well above the pass price midweek. AC does it right by rewarding those who give them revenue consistentcy and passes are now extremely popular with many large corporations who buy mutilple ones.

Kalboz likes this.
  17. go on seat guru and see seat dimensions.

Kalboz likes this.
  18. again how little you know. they now have lay flat seats wider and longer than the airline you endorse.

Kalboz likes this.
  19. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  20. :) UA domestic fleet has generous upgrades and amazing E+ and Exit row seats.. And they dont put their employee into upgrade seats... over passengers.
    But without question the IFE on AC beats UA.... on domestic... however CO does have IFE and it works. :)

Kalboz likes this.
  21. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    They have amazing LEG ROOM, and that is that.

While other US carriers have introduced in-flight TV and Wi-Fi, UA planes are stuck in the middle ages.

And again, transat, you're likely to get a 777, so your whole "best seats ever" applies only on a roll of the dice for many passengers.

Kalboz likes this.
  22. 777 tansat? I dont think UA flys many and they are DOMESTIC 777 with domestic business class [I get them for Hawaii flights] any UA transat flight you are on has more leg room than AC....... either E+ Exit row?? does not matter what plane you are on.

The issue with UA is IFE. However as I have always said my comparisons are SE vs 1k. At that level there is NO comparison, your flying up front, exit row or E+. Bring a laptop if IFE is an issue, or read a book or fly a CO plane.

Parnel a laptop is a relatively new device you may be unaware of it, but you can watch movies on them.:)

Kalboz likes this.
  23. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA flies plenty of 777s transat. The links I posted above give you the seat layout -- circa 1991 recliner seats in business class. NOT lie flat. NOT bigger than AC. NOT more comfortable than AC. I wouldn't know about economy class on the transats, we were talking about:

a) your constantly repeated claim that UA C is >> AC J on all its planes. Maybe (maybe) on the newly reconfigured 763/747, NOT on the 777. And the 777 is used extensively, just clearly not on routes YOU happen to fly.

b) domestic fleet being utter crap other than the legroom in E+.

And on airlines other than UA, you can use it to connect to this new-fangled thing called the Internet. Domestically, UA is approaching being < US.

Kalboz likes this.
  24. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quick glance at UA schedule Jun 15 doing IAD-LHR:

922 - 763
    918 - 777
    948 - 763
    924 - 777

IAD-FRA, same day:

916 - 777
    952 - 763
    932 - 777

I also see just from a quick glance on the same KVS screen, IAD-MUC, ORD-FRA running 777s on at least some of the flights that day.

Now, perhaps one might luck into an upgraded 777 on one of these routes. I have never done so flying IAD-Europe.

Kalboz likes this.
  25. :) ok you had said Transat? I assumed you meant USA? go to this link.
    http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Interior_Conversions_(UA)

Thats why i posted Transat??? i was unsure what you meant... Atlantic... oops.... also most atlantic flights use the new 777 with lay flat seats. So if you want to go to Europe thats where they put the new 777

Yes UA is just started to convert the 777 all of CO 777 are now converted... UA is still 1 year away from all its International 777 to be converted. [ all 747 and 767 are done]

however the new UA seats are LAYFLAT bigger wider and more comfortable than AC pods.... Bigger TV and they work.

Completed aircraft: 57 of 91 (62.6%)
    Completed B747-400s: 24 of 24 (100%)
    Completed B767-300s: 21 of 21 (100%)
    Completed B777-200 XC/XDs: 1 of 13 (7.7%)
    Completed B777-200ER XI/XJs: 0 of 10 (0%)
    Completed B777-200ER XP/XQs: 11 of 23 (47.8%)

Kalboz likes this.