AC sued over spilled hot tea

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by guinnessxyz, Nov 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. This article has created a small stir among the very brilliant posters on another BB, so I thought we should add our 2 cents to the discussion:
    For the full article see:
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/heal...+over+scalding+water+spill/7542996/story.html
    EDMONTON - An Edmonton woman has filed a $206,000 lawsuit against Air Canada after being burned by hot water during a 2010 flight.
    On Nov. 5, Rema Halabi was a passenger on a flight to San Francisco and ordered tea during the drink service, according to the claim. A stewardess then placed a cup of “scalding hot water” to make the tea on Halabi’s tray. The water fell into her lap when the passenger in front of her leaned back and jarred the tray.
    The suit claims that Halabi, now 35, suffered second-degree burns across her lap and down to her knees.
    In the past two years, the injury has caused blisters, scars, post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, anxiety and panic attacks. She has had extensive medical treatment that will continue in the future, the lawsuit says.
    Halabi’s job as a massage therapist has been adversely affected, and thus, the amount of income she may earn in the future.
    “Each aspect of her personal, professional, recreational and social life has been adversely affected,” the claim reads.
    The lawsuit claimed the unnamed stewardess was responsible for the injuries because she failed to ensure the water was not dangerously hot, failed to put a lid on the cup and did not make sure the cup was secure on the tray. Air Canada, the suit states, failed to properly instruct their staff or ensure Halabi’s safety on the flight.
    rcormier@edmontonjournal.com

2. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is likely causing a stir on TOBB because she was denied points and financial compensation which caused the panic attacks, anxiety, and further agitation of any injury suffered, so she sued. Maybe someone over there will make it a Class Action because they were denied points for helping further agitate the situation.

It is hard to know what really happened seeing only an article in cases like this, but IMO I never order hot tea because once you get the hot water, it is never usually hot enough to brew a good cup of tea.

Maybe it is different in Canada, because I know at Tim Horton's the coffee is so hot it is undrinkable for a good 30 minutes due to the temperature, then you taste the coffee and realize it was never drinkable at all.

3. Hey, watch what you say about Tim Horton's coffee..........it helps regulate me every time I drink that stuff:D

mht_flyer and sobore like this.
  4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Order hot liquid in a very large, metal, flying tube while sitting in a cramped area and expect to NOT have something possibly happen?

mht_flyer, PtsHawg and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Curious how what happens elsewhere is of so much importance to some. Too bad MP can only follow rather than taking a different path altogether as it did for a while.

antirealist likes this.
  6. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:

Why would anyone care whether you are regulated or not? Your attempt at humor i suppose:eek:

tcook052 likes this.
  7. Coffee from Tim's makes one regular in certain ways.....humour it is; sorry you didn't get it.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Agree that it is hard to know. My initial thought is that there is a typical procedure in brewing tea followed everywhere not exclusive to Air Canada. Wondering at what point the passenger whose action resulted in the domino effect of this will be called into play. Wondering if whenever a seat is reclined if we don't put kneecaps into danger of medical restoration everywhere?

Since this is reminiscent of other similar events, a la the infamous McDonalds coffee incident, my own thought is that it is hardly worthy of a 'stir'.

guinnessxyz and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:

In the words of James Bond 'shaken,NOT stirred'

YULtide, guinnessxyz and LETTERBOY like this.