AC seat selection

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by dbaseworking, Aug 30, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. dbaseworking

dbaseworking Silver Member

Status Points:
    AC seat selection
    Booked a ticket thru a travel agent
    on the ever busy AC-15 YYZ/HKG sector.
    As a 35k'er I used to Pre-Select a seat with
    the old site.
    Now it will not allow this.
    Do I have to wait 24hrs.before, or phone them?
    Ed

mevlannen likes this.
  2. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you can phone them - if not you can phone the travel agent and have them do it.

mevlannen likes this.
  3. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, don't they have an alternative link for seat selection on non-AC.com bookings?

YULtide and ACMM like this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find that rarely works. Wish it did but for me it is always easier to call it in.

londoncalling and mevlannen like this.
  5. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    (sighs gently and just wishes that it would all WORK)

I must confess that I'll do almost anything else before picking up the telephone and calling in. This said, even though the folks on the other end of the SE 'line' are unfailingly polite and helpful.

londoncalling, YULtide and ACMM like this.
  6. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ACMM and mevlannen like this.
  7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never works for me. We go through Amex USA as a travel agency.

8. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, exactly! I have more than one machine running on my (physical) desk, so can hop across with the AC PNR (which is noted as 'Carrier Reference' on the Concur booking-confirmation page) and get the seats sorted-out straightaway. Concur cannot directly get me into a preferred seat, but this is at least a reasonable workaround at no extra cost to myself nor my employer.

9. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, dear! ACMM, I'm sorry to hear that. That's the first I have heard of people being unable to bypass an agency lock on their seating. (Ayuh, I don't get out much, do I?)

10. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just call the SE desk and get it sorted. No real concern :)

londoncalling, mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  11. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    ACMM, 'efficiency' is clearly your middle name! On those few times that I have called in, they have been helpful. As noted before, I can usually use one of the workarounds.

Just plumped for an upgrade at T-20 on a domestic flight where I had a perfectly fine bulkhead seat. Was surprised as all get-out that upgrades were available for immediate seating, no messing-about with R games or I games or LSMFT games.

londoncalling and ACMM like this.
  12. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    YULtide likes this.
  13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stashed maybe. But will it work? :D

Be well @mevlannen :)

mevlannen likes this.
  14. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, ACMM! It's been a rough patch lately, but I very much hope to be home for good (or, more properly, until I get bored and decide working away from home is proverbial Good Thing). I've been commuting long-distance by air for almost seven years now (actually seven years in about tenday from now)

Seat selection shortcut tool mentioned above still works, which matters greatly to my comfort.

Be well also!

/mevlannen who sojourns far from home

[edit to add: 'homesick' is intense issue, especially in long-dark winter months; is 'unadvertised' feature of frequent-flyer air travel, ayuh!]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    YULtide and ACMM like this.
  15. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    And while we're on air, as t'were: am very pleased to see familiar names here in our obscure corner of this place.

Just requalled by segs couple of weeks ago, but AC/AP/IBM took own sweet time to post segs to account. Came through last night YAY. Happy Mevs, now. Next round of flights in six days, for five days home leave, already upgraded to favourite seat 1D with bottle of Li Coste white wine waiting in galley (well, better be!). Maybe even footrub from flight officer -- girl can hope, heya?

16. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    No AC diamonds? :)

[Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk]

mevlannen likes this.
  17. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ach, come on now, ACMM. You surely know full well (after seventy-leven gazillion posts here!) that Diamond is vacuously-meaningless marketroid tool produced by twisted programmers at Aimia/Aeroplan.

Have yet to observe any meaningful benefit of it; anyway, only time I go to Aeroplan website is to enter non-AC-dot-com flights in for segment/points credit (since even though AC can crank out boarding-papers with AP number, neither AC nor AP have sufficient gumption to actually post said flights to my account. Oh, and of course, to redeem said points for occasional long-distance J tickets for self and Darling Spouse (who already loved me, but who vocally loves me yet more for reliably managing to snag J-cabin seats side-by-side).

Looks like 135 to 140 segs this year, aieeee. My poor butt!

Back on topic here, being able to select seat in advance, and (alongsides, yaness!) being able to select bulkhead or exit row seat in advance is truly many-splendoured thing. Don't anyone dare tell AC IT department how good that is, lest said IT folks 'enhance' it away.

YULtide likes this.
  18. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually meant the carbon based ones :(

[Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk]

19. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, dear ACMM, Air Canada has not yet seen fit to award me with diamonds of any tangible sort (although perhaps diamond earrings would be graciuously-received!)

On other hand, I can readily provide small lumps of coal; all anyone else needs to provide is appropriate high-temperature / high-pressure conditions (approaching conditions inferred for crust-mantle transition zone).

On third hand, given AC's difficulties in maintaining comfortable cabin pressurisation for people, I daresay it unlikely to anytime soon see on-board manufacture of diamonds.

YULtide likes this.
  20. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Further observation to add: requalling before October 15th (in my case, meeting 95-segment number late in September) is of course quite devoid of meaning in greater scheme of things. It did matter, first time I made SE (back in late Miocene era, I think it was) and now it's just another Mevlannen Thing.

It so happens that I truly loathe air travel during holiday/snowstorms/drunk-driving season (oh, puky fellow-travellers, yayness!), so I don't typically end up doing many more segments. This year's bookings go out to Seg 114 (Sunday after Guy Fawkes Night, how droll!) and then may well be it as my work appears to be about to take another funny transition where I mix frequent-flying on coastal floatplanes with rotations in and out of East Asia. Who'da guessed it? New gig, new traderoutes, ayuh.

Next chance at sighting of my Famous Blue Hat will be double-header: lunchtime in YEG MLL and fourish in YVR DOM MLL. Going home, I am!

Terveisin!

/Mevlannen the suomineito (look it up....)

YULtide likes this.