AC SE numbers for 2017'w

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by londoncalling, Oct 2, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see a thread on another board that has the usual nonsense about things people know nothing about. AC has been expanding their long haul route network in great numbers and are filling seats on all of them. Thus, while the comditions to reach SE have changed the new long haul routes are getting more people directly to destinations as opposed to them using other carriers or code shares. My understanding is that all new routes are generally running pretty full and with the typical range of FF,ers on board.
    I would suggest that the number of SE's will remain steady going forward

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    One less as of 2017

3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's going to be very close for me. At this stage of the game, I have enough trips booked to take me to just over 101,000 miles, all but two short hops on AC metal, most in Flex, a couple of long hauls in Premium Economy and a few in J. Looking at my AQD, it looks like I may miss the $20,000 threshold and be culled.

4. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like you, my sense is that these new routes are flying pretty full, but I'm not sure they are attracting enough new high frequency/high dollar flyers who were not already high status with AC to significantly increase the number of SE's. I think they will generate more E50K's and higher share of wallet from existing SE's with a relatively small number of net new SE's from the route expansion.

Above illustrates that the herd will be culled at the lower end. We'll have to agree to disagree on the net of the two.

YULtide likes this.
  5. londoncalling

Status Points:
    Be more precise. Its because of retirement.

ACMM likes this.
  6. londoncalling

Status Points:
    As examples of my POV on this are year long flights to Italy as opposed to having to fly through a LH HUB to get there. another example is DEL which has resumed after several years and is running pretty full in J. Another side to the SE numbers argument maybe the fact AC is selling a lot of discounted J to US based PAX on long haul international flights. I see a lot of US customs forms being handed out on my return flights from China and somewhat less so from Europe.

YULtide likes this.
  7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does it matter why? One less is one less I now fly revenue on the airlines I want to fly on and do not care about status. Life is better

I used the game to my advantage. Did not pay a fare (save the taxes) on personal travel on AC since 1998. Now I take advantage of the AX Platinum companion fares and get as good and mostly better service on other airlines. Win win win for me

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    YULtide likes this.
  8. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    No disagreement from me - I just don't think all these J flyers in DEL will become newly minted SE's. Yes some form the US.

9. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I shall be out, because despite travelling a great deal on multi-hop itineraries in and out of various northern minesites, the AQDs are scarcely budging at all. Shall end the year at 77 segs but only 4000 AQD (which is grossly less than my total cost of tickets).

Not much worried about it, as next year I really shall try to make the retirement stick. I confess to having given in to blandishments to come back and help out the younger generation at work, but somehow that crept up to a steady 40 hr/wk. Heh.

Be well, all!

/Elane

YULtide likes this.
  10. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought those short hops from northern areas delivered many AQD but few AQM.

11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will make the cut once again; will pass 100K in about two weeks on my next visit to Tokyo. Already passed the $20K threshold, that really turned out to be a non-issue for me.

When retirement comes (not yet, but less than 10 years) I expect I'll still fly *A as flying without status is no fun at all.

YULtide likes this.
  12. yyznomad

yyznomad Active Member

Status Points:
    I made the cut on January 30, 2016. :D

13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is actually very sad ...

14. yyznomad

yyznomad Active Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, explain. I don't feel sad. It's fun and exciting seeing new cities and countries, especially when you get to spend time with friends.

15. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good on ya then.

16. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    You'd be surprised. I've had $400+ tickets (for a single segment in/out from YEG or YQU) 'deliver' only 30 AQD.

Whatever card I get next spring, it won't be an SE card, that's for darned sure.

Then again, I thought I was supposed to be retired, so what in the good green earth am I doing travelling so much again?

YULtide likes this.
  17. londoncalling

Status Points:
    Join the ex retiree's club club.:) But I am flying more than ever with many many trips to HKG and other Asian ports of call plus several flights to Europe and western Canada.

mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  18. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, then, Londoncalling! I'm likely not quite as well-off as you are (although by definition the grandchildren make me wealthy in my heart!), but I still book flights based more upon convenience than upon cost. I do value my time, and would rather have short simple flights with connections that would be long enough to allow me to duck into the MLL and print-off drafts of paperwork. (Yes, I'm that horrid old lady who uses the printers in YEG and YVR domestic!).

So, given present workload, am thinking that I shall have the cute little 25K card upon offer at the end of this year, but by the time that this years 100K card expires, I shall very likely have cranked that back up to a 50K already. There are that many rotations and inspection trips already pencilled into my calendar. And I'm **still** retired.

On a complete non-sequitur, I keep my calendar in a Filofax book, buying the two-pages-per-week diary and the fold-out horizontal year-planning calendar each year. I stick the year-planner on our Xerox machine and blow it up to 156% to give me a folding calendar with large-enough squares that I can actually write in useful travel details and billing numbers for each day. I colour the air-travel days in red, and by the end of the year the calendar looks like it has a bad case of the measles. The non-travelling period (January-April this past year) was obvious by appearing to be utterly bleached-out by comparison with this summer and autumn's crazy schedule of flights.

For Filofax junkies only: Personal size (fits in my purse) brown leather 'Portland Grand' model with the big binder-rings. I wipe-down the leather with boot-dubbin (a sort of soft wax that is sold for water-proofing things) once a year or so. Keeps it looking nice and fresh.

londoncalling and YULtide like this.
  19. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah Filofax - a wonderful tool for those who have not migrated to the dark side.

mevlannen likes this.
  20. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Lev -- the batteries in my Filofax **never** run out. 'Nuff said.

The Lev and YULtide like this.
  21. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is why I use a paper boarding pass. Paper doesn't crash.

The Lev and mevlannen like this.
  22. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    YULtide, have you ever met someone whose electronic boarding pass **did** thus fail to be accessible? I don't think that I ever have, but all the same, I am mindful of what my Revenue Canada auditor taught me: "if it's not on paper, it didn't happen." Words to live by, those are.

What amazes me is that here we have one of those many situations, in dealing with Air Canada IT, where the safest option is buried at the bottom of a choice-list: "No, I will have the paper boarding pass": or some such-like. The word 'No' fairly well acts to steer our eyes away from that choice, doesn't it?

Paper boardining-pass in hand, sitting here at YQQ quaffing my pre-flight Scotch-in-coffee (Johnnie Walker Black, ahem...). One copy in hand, one already clipped to my expense-report folder.

23. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think I've come across someone who had a complete mobile fail with a boarding pass, but I certainly see people fumbling enough that it's an obvious risk. If the phone dies, or the battery goes, or what have you, you're toast. Not an insoluble problem, but an annoyance.

However, I have had a problem with miles not posting that required me to send in copies of the boarding passes and absent the foresight to take a screen shot on every flight, it occurred to me that it was just as well that I had the paper ones.

londoncalling and mevlannen like this.
  24. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    YULtide: I've had to sent in 'original' paper copies for segments which were disrupted or rebooked due to IRROPS. Used to be that upgrades would trigger that, too, but not any more.

Current box score has me ending the year with 34 segs and $4000 +/-. Rate things are going, even from a standing start next year I may well be into 'status' territory by early in April. Go figure. Retirement, eh? Right now my workgroup consists of almost a dozen 'retired' mining engineers and finance wonks, still carrying on playing the mining game. Addictive hobby, that is...

25. londoncalling

Status Points:
    Let's hope the "retirement game" never ends. I was able to retire many years ago and decided to start a consulting business(what else) and things have morphed from doing that successfully to being just an active director of a very fast growing public Company in Canada and a subsidiary in HK that owns a factory in China. I am now afraid to re-retire because this work has become the retirement "hobby" and has kept most signs of senility well away from me. I no longer like any kind of detail work but have a ton of fun advising, mentoring and admonishing. I still have plenty of time for my wife and I to take several pleasure trips a year and enjoy my summers.

QSG, The Lev and YULtide like this.