AC Rolling out new LCC

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by guinnessxyz, Dec 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mr. Ben Smith reports
    MEDIA ADVISORY/PHOTO OPP: AIR CANADA TO PRESENT ITS NEW LEISURE CARRIER
    Media are invited to attend a news conference where Air Canada senior executives will present the company's new leisure carrier. Ben Smith, executive vice-president and chief commercial officer, Air Canada, and Michael Friisdahl, president and chief executive officer of Air Canada's leisure group, will discuss details and strategy of Air Canada's latest venture, followed by a question period and interview availability.
    What: Official presentation of Air Canada's new leisure carrier
    Who: Air Canada executives
    When: 11:15 a.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2012; media requiring time to set up equipment are requested to arrive at 11 a.m.
    Where: Theatre 1 at the Cineplex Odeon in Yonge-Dundas Square (formerly AMC Yonge & Dundas 24), Toronto, Ont.
    Photo opportunity: The news conference will be followed by a photo opportunity at 12 p.m. outside on Dundas Square when Air Canada will begin giving away discounts to exciting international vacation destinations for 10,000 lucky downtown passersby and shoppers
    RSVP: Manon Chabot, Air Canada corporate communications, at 514-422-7794 or via e-mail

2. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    So that's what they're calling it, a "leisure carrier".

YULtide likes this.
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    It sounds so much better than "Cheapo". :D

(Which might be the name of the new carrier, who knows?) :p

And why do YYZers get the chance at discounts and not others? This is discriminatory against those who don't live in YYZ. :mad:

4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dude, seriously? You're getting angry about the location of a promotional event?

YULtide likes this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, not that seriously. Over-the-top anger as irony. Should have added an extra smilie.

Realistically, I would very probably not take advantage even if I were offered it. My schedule isn't that flexible.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. I would almost bet they will do similar rollout in other Cities. In socialized Quebec they probably need an act of parliament to get permission for giving things away. That's how stupid things are in La Belle Province. Plus YYZ is in reality AC's de facto head office but an act of parliament when they went private forbids that from happening. Maybe Pauline will finally force that issue when she wins the hearts and minds of her "bluet" constitency and forms a Country:rolleyes:

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, OK. I got confused by the angry face.

YULtide likes this.
  8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I collected baseball cards, sometimes the card companies would run special contests. They'd insert entry forms into packs of cards (maybe they still do this), and you'd fill them out and send them in. ALL of them had fine print stating that residents of Quebec were not eligible to win. The reason for this was something about laws regarding lottery/games of chance (I can't remember exactly what it was).

YULtide likes this.
  9. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, our dear old friend 'Reggie': La Régie des Alcools, des Courses et des Jeux.

YULtide and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
  11. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    YULtide and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  12. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I did a quick test booking for a YYZ-VCE flight on on rouge (dep Aug 7th 2013) so that I could take a look at the seating plan. I was more than curious to see how that was chaning. Rumor (at least to my ears) is that the 767s will be from the Amigos.

The Front
    Now according to seatguru (which is all I have to go on since I've never had the pleasure of setting foot on the Amigos), there are 4 rows of 2-2-2 "comfort plus" seating. The Rouge seating plan shows 3 rows of 2-2-2; a drop of 6 seats.

The Back
    Seatguru shows a total of 223 seats and rows from 12-43 (partial in 44) in a 2-3-2 config. The Rouge seatmap shows rows 12-47 with a 2-3-2 config. By my count the Rouge plane has 236 seats; and increase of 13, or approximately 2 more rows.

[​IMG]

The Cost (Tango Plus)
    Interestingly most of the Tango options for AC flights had disappeared (all on the return options).
    Rouge departing on Friday Aug 9 and returning on Saturday Aug 17 = $1372 ai. (W fare)
    This dropped to $948 on a Tango fare.​
    AC/LH departing and returning on same dates = $1377 ai (W fare)
    This dropped to $1192 when I mixed Tango and Tango Plus​

The Verdict
    So for approximately 16 hours of flying (round trip) you save about $250 and probably are getting 1" less leg room and probably less services. Sounds like something most Canadians will jump all over.

YULtide and PhotoJim like this.
  13. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but did you see the 'loyalty' program?! Fixed miles per route depending on the class of ticket purchased! And of course only status for Tango plus and above fares:

When you fly with Air Canada rouge, you’ll enjoy all the benefits of our rewards program. Earn non-status Aeroplan® Miles on Tango bookings and Air Canada Status Miles on Tango Plus and Latitude fares.

Just one more way you can go more.

Here’s how your Miles add up:
    Sun
    Tango 200
    Tango Plus 400
    Latitude 1400
    Europe
    Tango 400
    Tango Plus 800
    Latitude 2800

Accrual levels are per flight segment.
    Eligible Air Canada Top Tier members also enjoy complimentary preferred seating.

So a sun destination that might have gotten you 2000 miles before will get you only 400 now.

YULtide and PhotoJim like this.
  14. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:

This probably makes sense for the casual flier who may make only one flight a year. Given the Aeroplan expirations, one may be left with useless miles, so why not save the money and accrue less.

YULtide, LETTERBOY and PhotoJim like this.
  15. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    It makes sense for the casual flyer, but definitely not for the more regular flyer who chooses to consider these roots for vacation or business travel. A trip to Athens is just what I might need to bump me up one category in my status (or get me base level status to begin with), which means that someone like me is going to consider flying on United instead of Air Canada, even as an Air Canada Aeroplan mile collector.

Perhaps in aggregate Air Canada will benefit, but I can definitely see this costing them some traffic.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Consider however at least for a YYZ-VCE flight the only nonstop competitor is Air Transat at the moment.

For someone who wanted to go to Venezia or the surrounding area the difference between a nonstop and a transfer at Frankfurt or Munich would make this quite an interesting option.

17. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    It almost certainly will cost them "some" traffic, but not enough to make a dent in their financials.

18. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    YULtide likes this.
  20. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    So there will still be a "Big Seat" option. Wonder how these are booked: Latitude and elites? For the most part not worth it for our types given the EQM yield.

Interesting that there are no US Sun destinations, though perhaps these will be loaded for next winter when the Amigos move off the Atlantic for FLL and some LAX flights.

21. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    They've updated their fleet page: http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/fleet/

Scroll to the bottom and you can see the seat maps for the two new planes assigned to Rouge. In the newspapers they mention no seatback entertainment in these planes. Which leads several to speculate amigos, but if you look at the fleet details it has this little gem under entertainment:

Wireless streaming of movies and more, direct to your personal electronic device.
    Final program details and pricing will be communicated prior to first flight in July 2013.

22. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
  23. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think we're the target market for Rouge.

24. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the cheap way to do movies. No hardware cost, no hardware weight (and resulting fuel cost), no time wasted by FAs resetting AVOD. Simply a wi-fi network with streaming for movies, each person is responsible for bringing his or her own hardware (which they probably already had in the carry-on anyway). Probably no in-seat power, though, better make sure your batteries have a full charge!

25. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would almost think that resetting an AVOD is nothing compared to the nightmares of 270 people with network, WIFI, IT, why can't me Nook connect issues. Between giving my mother (no offense mum) an IPOD and getting her to turn it on and use it, and her streaming video on her own....