AC Posts their "Official" upgrade prioritisation decision tree...

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by The Lev, Jul 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    You asked, we listened. Below is how we currently prioritise upgrades requested a) up to T-24 hours, and b) once the waitlist is transferred to the airport. As always, we reserve the right to change this priority at any time. It will shortly be posted to the eUpgrade section on aircanada.com

Waitlists and Confirmed Upgrades

When you request an upgrade within the booking window and there’s space available, your upgrade will be confirmed at the time of your request.

How Upgrade Availability is Determined
    For eligible customers travelling on international flights with a Latitude fare (Y,B) or Premium Economy Flexible fare (O), upgrades are based on the availability of P class; for North American and Caribbean flights, upgrades are based on the availability of Z class.

For eligible customers travelling on North American, Caribbean and International flights with a ticket booked in any other eligible fare (e.g. Flex, Premium Economy Lowest), upgrades are based on the availability of R class.

Once an upgrade is confirmed, it will be booked in R class regardless of where the availability came from.

Your reservation must be complete and ticketed and you must be within the appropriate upgrade window (as pertains to your respective status) to request an upgrade. If no seats are available, you will be automatically put on a waiting list for an upgrade. If a business class seat becomes available up to 24 hours prior to your flight, upgrades will be assigned as follows:

Upgrades cleared prior to T-24

1. Altitude members holding a reservation with a Y, B and/or O, Class Fares

2. Altitude status levelo According to status levels (for upgrades requested in eligible booking classes)3. Fare classo For same status, priority is given to the highest eligible booking classes4. Time of request
    o For same status and eligible booking classes, priority is given in order of reception of requests​
    If you do not receive an upgrade email confirming your upgrade before you check in, your request will be automatically transferred to the airport standby list. Upgrades on the airport standby list will be processed as follows:

Upgrades cleared at the airport

1. Altitude status level
    2. Fare class
    3. Time of check-in
    Upgrades are subject to the terms and conditions of Air Canada eUpgrades (full list here), with the "Additional Rules" section to be shortly amended to the following:

Air Canada reserves the right to, without notice, (a) modify the terms and conditions related to eUpgrade Credit usage and eUpgrade Add-ons, (b) add, modify, or delete eligible booking classes, (c) cancel any upgrade request made in violation of the terms and conditions listed here, and (d) change upgrade priority rules. Awarding of upgrades is subject to operational considerations which are at Air Canada’s sole discretion.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...air-canada-upgrade-priority.html#post23136921

southender, tomh009, YULtide and 2 others like this.
  2. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ben Lipsey further clarified that:
    • Cabin comes before class in their system - so PE gets upgraded at the gate before any Y fares.
    • MMs would come ahead of an equivalent status with no MM - e.g. SE MM would come before SE, E50k MM would come before E50k.
    • Anytime prior to being transferred to the gate, upgrades are cleared by PNR, so if travelling partners are in same PNR, they will be cleared together based on highest status in PNR. A nominee retains his/her own status and not the member who nominated.

canucklehead, YULtide and NYBanker like this.
  3. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty much what I have been assuming. With SE and early check-in, the odds are good but it doesn't always work, either.

Any word on being able to upgrade from Y to PE?

canucklehead and YULtide like this.
  4. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apparently PE Upgrade is coming later this year.

canucklehead, YULtide and tomh009 like this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Key question: with or without anti-riff-raff deterrent fee?

canucklehead likes this.
  6. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What? They will have fees to keep you and me out of PE? :eek:

canucklehead and YULtide like this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not? They're already charging fees to keep us out of J on intercontinental routes.

tomh009 and canucklehead like this.
  8. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given how small the price delta is between Flex and PE (PE was actually cheaper for the return segment on my next flight to HND!) I would expect either minimal fees or none at all. Hopefully AC recognizes the value in offering these upgrades to Es without any co-payment.

YULtide likes this.
  9. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    We booked a trip to HKG for later this year in PE for less than the prevailing Flex fare, also. And since the domestic positioning flights were put in a B fare bucket, I was able to upgrade them right away instead of waiting until 5 days prior to flight time.

I agree that it would be a good thing if AC were to offer PE upgrades with no co-pay. But what would be good and what AC actually does are often enough two very different things. We'll see what happens, I suppose.

10. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd be shocked if there was a co-pay to eUpgrade to PE.

Given that as people say PE isn't much more expensive than Flex, I'm hoping it is a pretty minimal number of eUgrades that will be required - say 2 domestically, 4 international up to 5,000 miles and 6 for over 5,000 miles.

tomh009 and YULtide like this.
  11. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be surprised (but not very) if there were a co-pay to upgrade to PE, but recall that there was no co-pay to upgrade to EF before this year.

Like I said, we'll see.