AC now offers eUpgrading to PE

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by The Lev, Dec 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    AC has finally figured out how to offer people the chance to upgrade from Y (Flex or Latitude) to PE. High level details here: http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/141202.html

Some of the things AC isn't highlighting:
    1. Based on the roughly 1/3 reduction in eUpgrades I'll be able to earn in 2015, it means that going forward it would require a higher percentage of my total expected eUpgrades earned for the year to upgrade from Y to PE in 2015 than it required for me to go from Y to J in 2014. Seriously????
    2. If your Y to J eUpgrade request doesn't go through, they will automatically put you on a list to be eUpgraded from Y to PE - like it or not. If you don't want to waste a significant portion of your annual eUpgrades on that minor bump up, you will need to ask the no doubt harried gate agent to downgrade you. When I asked whether we'd get our original (preferred) seat back if it had been given away to a "GTE" passenger before we got up to the agent to request the downgrade, the answer from AC was... crickets. Seriously????
    3. In the very unlikely event that a SEMM sitting in Y does want to upgrade to PE if their J upgrade fails to clear, they will be happy to learn that because PE wasn't their first choice they will fall below a Prestige member who only requests to upgrade to PE. Perhaps this is to avoid situation 2.

YULtide, Newscience and ACMM like this.
  2. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No add-on fees for non-SEs, though, which is good.

But 24 credits for a TPAC eUpgrade to PE? Sigh. I may end up playing for op-ups instead. :(

YULtide likes this.
  3. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually a "normal" transpac would only be 13 eUpgrades. The 24 would only apply for itineraries over 11,000 miles. Examples might include SYD-YVR-LHR or Asia-YYZ-South America. I suspect there aren't a lot of these.

4. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point, I read it too quickly! So in the new world order, the upgrade to PE is somewhat cheaper than the old-world upgrade to J (13 eUpgrade credits to PE for TPAC, vs 17 to J in 2014). I'll be going for those, I expect, assuming the aircraft actually has PE (as the non-HD 773s do not): two upgrades to PE is better for me than one upgrade to J and one flight in Y (especially on a 788).

YULtide likes this.
  5. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's actually not really "cheaper": because in the new world they have reduced the number of eUpgrades that you will earn. In my case, I'll earn 33% fewer upgrades in 2015 than I did last year for flying the same number of AQM. That means that in my case, 13 eUpgrades in 2014 is equivalent to 19.5 eUpgrades in 2015, so after accounting for "inflation", it will be dearer to upgrade to PE than it was to J.

tomh009, slalom and YULtide like this.
  6. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes ... this game is not as much fun as it used to be! :(

YULtide likes this.
  7. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes you now have to pay up to get less privileges. That being said, it was inevitable as the airlines were not running sustainable loyalty programs in the past. People getting SE status for under $10K a year and then using all their points and ecerts to take up expensive seats just could not go on. It was fun while it lasted and I enjoyed the peak periods of cheap travel. The airlines have become much more proficient at managing capacity and that makes it even harder to game their system on the the cheap. The next recession will inevitably soften some of the benefit pullbacks but lets hope the next one is not yet close. I think airline fares have been running ahead of the inflation curve we are about to see happen and that will bring on interesting times.

milchap and YULtide like this.
  8. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    What puzzles many of us is that AC of late has done very nicely thank you very much without having to gut the FF programme. Why now is the question that springs to mind.

YULtide likes this.
  9. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are making changes because AC, like other airlines, should have a sustainable business model that can also handle the turbulence caused by oil price spikes and recessions.

Whether further cutting Altitude benefits is the right way to do it a different debate. I do understand their rationale (make sure the J seats have enough value for people to pay for them) but whether the end result will be what they expect remains to be seen.

YULtide likes this.
  10. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given this will likely be my last year as SE I know it will be tough. Moving forward I will likely pay for F on whatever airline I want to fly. As an MM AC has done nothing to keep me in the fold.

The Winger, YULtide and londoncalling like this.
  11. londoncalling

Status Points:
    let me ask you the same question about your business. If you have a product that is basically selling out pretty regularly do you sell it at the same price or do you react to supply and demand. Fundamentals are good for the airlines so tyne no longer need to give away their products.

12. londoncalling

Status Points:
    maybe or will be? :p

13. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stock market in Canada off 500 points today. Oil barrell costs keep heading down,some suggest mid 40s by next year. Gold going up. Will airlines sustain their momemtum with this backdrop?

YULtide likes this.
  14. londoncalling

Status Points:
    Not AC and not in Canada. I have heard about major layoffs in the oil sands companies that started last week and many of those are commuters. layoffs in Calgary have started also. The boom bust cycle is in bust mode right now and probably will be for about a year.

I also note that AC seems to have a few more promos out all of a sudden. Advance bookings must have dropped off in the first quarter of 2015.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    YULtide likes this.