AC: Lowest Possible CPM for meeting 10K/5 seg Elite Requirement

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by BackSlash, Jan 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

I was looking at the current AC 50%-off sale for quickly meeting the 5 segment/10K AC-metal and was disappointed at how expensive 5 short haul segments get when you add in the fees. It always seems to work out around 10 cpm on AC.

So I went hunting and managed to pull together YTZ-YUL-YVR-LAX all on AC metal for $529 CAD a.i. bookable multiple dates but only on a Tues-Sat trip. Not great unless you use it for positioning on a cheaper UA/US/CO run.

So, I only managed to find $529/7764 6.81 CPM (CAD). What do people think; Is that about the limit on AC?

2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    even at 50% off, the AC sale and trying to squeeze a MR out of it is a losing cause because of the taxes - which is about 40% of the total price! The best I could see was YTZ-YUL-YHZ for $52 each way + $73 taxes/fees.

The LAX fares may be your easiest bet at $199 each way, but as you already noticed, the CA fare sale is only valid for Sat, Tues and Wed flights. Still your fare construction will meet the segment requirement but not the mileage.

Perhaps a discount coupon is out there to help you save an extra 10% (well, off of the fare, but not taxes and fees! ;))

3. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    My understanding of the 5seg/10K requirement is that it's an either/or not that you have to meet both requirements to qualify for any sort of status with AC.

From the 2012 Top Tier Benefits Guide:

but since I'm going to be qualifying with 35K/50K miles not 50 segments, my focus is to get the lowest CPM on an itinerary that meets the AC metal requirement before switching MRs to US/UA/CO where MRs at 3-4 cpm are possible.

4. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there's any chance you're in YUL. Getting to Florida is ridiculously cheap (cheaper than YUL-YYZ), this one would require an overnight in MCO (You can get Hiltons for 50$ if you are chasing hotel status as well):

YUL-YYZ-MCO Jan 17th
    MCO-YYZ-YOW-YUL Jan 18th

$397.63 all in.

But also bookable on multiple dates.

Unfortunately going the opposite, YYZ-YUL-MCO is nowhere as cheap.

5. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's very interesting. I did once fly to MCO via YUL because it was significantly cheaper. The LMU was significantly cheaper too ($150 IIRC). Oh and MTLfire I think you mean YYZ not YTZ. YTZ is the downtown Toronto airport and only had AC flights YTZ-YUL whereas YYZ is Pearson, and YTO is Toronto non-specific.

6. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're correct. The prices quoted are YYZ. And it should also show YOW (Ottawa) on the return.

As I was looking up a bunch of trips this morning the fingers clearly got confused when I typed the message ;). I will correct (at least the 5 segments and the price was correct!)